+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar comments that don't warrant a thread

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Grammar comments that don't warrant a thread

Quote Originally Posted by loveman007dog View Post
    So I think we are all getting a bit too concerned with pronunciation. My wife teaches middle school and she has had students with names spelled Tayrey and when she pronounces it like it is spelled the parent complains that it is pronounced Terra. It might as well be pronounced Bob. So my wife has to memorize combinations of letters and map them to a sound. The liberals have even taken our phonics away from us, and I was hooked on them. This is only one example of the idocracy we are about to experience in our society where 1+1=2 is simply someone's opinion. If you haven't seen the movie Idiocracy you should, it shows how things are going to be.
    That's an annoying situation, but it is hard to fault people like that when our whole language is rife with "standard" names that aren't pronounced as spelled but we accept them because we're used to them.

Adam
    John
    Michael
    Ralph
    Sean

You use phonics to pronounce those?

Puppy loveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really niceloveman007dog is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    That's an annoying situation, but it is hard to fault people like that when our whole language is rife with "standard" names that aren't pronounced as spelled but we accept them because we're used to them.

You use phonics to pronounce those?
    At least there are established rules of pronunciation that can be found in a dictionary. My point was that we are forced to utilize each individuals opinion of how to pronounce a name due to their lack of want for an education. Pretty soon we will be forced to revert to grunts. In case anyone needs help I pasted in the pronunciations from Webster online for the below names.

Adam - |ˈadəm|
    John - |jän|
    Michael - /maɪkəl/
    Ralph - [rælf] but the traditional British pronunciation is [reɪf]
    Sean - /ʃɔːn/ US: /ʃɔːn/ or /ʃɑːn/ (The Irish Seán is /ʃɑːn/

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I've thought it was funny when my fellow country folk would add and r to an a.

Chicago - Chicargo

Jena - Jener

I also like it when an i sound is pronounced with an a sound.

fire - far

wire - war
    I have to overlook the phantom "r" since my dad does that. He has been to Chicargo and Harwaii. But he is dad so I could not care less .

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LEEDAWG View Post
    I have to overlook the phantom "r" since my dad does that. He has been to Chicargo and Harwaii. But he is dad so I could not care less .
    my grandmother has always wanted to go to "harwiyah." and she loves to eat "fraheeters" from "two seenyereeters" in mt. pleasant.

and i think the official rule is that across only has a "t" at the end if it is followed by a vowel sound (i.e., "we drove right acrosst arkansas," or, "we drove right across louisiana").

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    my grandmother has always wanted to go to "harwiyah." and she loves to eat "fraheeters" from "two seenyereeters" in mt. pleasant.

and i think the official rule is that across only has a "t" at the end if it is followed by a vowel sound (i.e., "we drove right acrosst arkansas," or, "we drove right across louisiana").
    I'm REALLY loving this thread!

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post

one other thing that bothers me is that "i.e." and "e.g." are used interchangeably so often that i can never remember which one means what. i should have used "e.g." ("such as") above instead of "i.e." ("that is"). of course, the example i gave was also an explanation, so mixing them up that way is not as bad. what bothers me is when people use "e.g." followed by an explanation, not an example.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I'm REALLY loving this thread!
    Should've started it a long time ago!

I'm getting feeble-minded, so I don't think this has been offered to our BB&B troops yet . . . . my daughter has a friend in South Carolina who swears this is true . . . . .

There was a girl in her friend's mother's class at elementary school. The girl's mother is a teacher at the school.

The teacher had a student named Le-a (L-e-hyphen-a). The student's momma was so made at the school cuz the teachers would not pronounce her daugher's name correctly.

How do you think the mother wanted it pronounced???
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Should've started it a long time ago!

I'm getting feeble-minded, so I don't think this has been offered to our BB&B troops yet . . . . my daughter has a friend in South Carolina who swears this is true . . . . .

There was a girl in her friend's mother's class at elementary school. The girl's mother is a teacher at the school.

The teacher had a student named Le-a (L-e-hyphen-a). The student's momma was so made at the school cuz the teachers would not pronounce her daugher's name correctly.

How do you think the mother wanted it pronounced???
    Ledasha of course. It is a very common name now.

Okay, I can't stop...

What about these people who read books, learn a new word, and try to insert that word into conversations?

I've got a friend who has been reading "The Wealth of Nations" for what seems like five years now. Can you imagine some of the new words he comes up with.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

unbelievable
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

That "came from the wrong rectum" girl trying out on American Idol a couple weeks ago who was carrying around anatomy notes, pronouncing body parts all kind of ways and making up new words mart should have had a name like Le-a Le(dash)a. She was on her own planet.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

This is an actual name - - Asshole. Butt they pronounce it ah-sho-lee. No joke.
    Go Tech!

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    This is an actual name - - Asshole. Butt they pronounce it ah-sho-lee. No joke.
    That's a name found a few limbs up on the Cartek family tree.:icon_wink:

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I saw that in Dwayne's Springsteen thread and wondered. I went with Dwayne's version.

Here's a hint. Never go with Dwayne on matters of spelling, or grammar or word variations.:icon_wink:

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    OK, I don't like it when people correct grammar in threads because as long as it isn't so bad that you can't understand what they are saying then who cares? This is supposed to be about sports. I shouldn't have to run spell check if I want express a thought about a middle linebacker.

That being said there are 2 things I see all the time that bug me.

People that don't know the difference between:

LOSE and LOOSE.

and

IDEA AND IDEAL.

Seems pretty basic to me but as often as it gets messed up I often wonder if it is a typo or that some people really don't know how/when to use those words.

OK, I'm done and I promise to keep my grammar comments confined to this thread.

The other one that gets me is the use of "noone". Noone is not a word much less a pronoun. The correct usage is no one. Two different words.

+ Reply to Thread