+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Involvement

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Student Involvement

Been thinking about how to increase student involvement in athletics. I think the key is to think in terms of student "ownership" of Tech athletics. Here are some suggestions.

1. Develop the student LTAC program. Perhaps even start a somewhat separate student version of the club. I would advocate merging it with the "Spirit of '88" program, and perhaps call the new program "Spirit of '88." In my mind this organization would fall under the Foundation, and would have a board with representatives from SGA, UB, the greek system, and the religious organizations, with at-large positions for other students/organizations.

2. I believe the athletic department is working on a more robust and better integrated system that would link ticketing and other functions, and I think will allow for swiping students for entry into events. Such a system could, I think, allow for a well-controlled "points" system for student attendance, which could be rolled into prizes like the current "Spirit of '88" program. Similarly, the points could be used for attendance competitions between organizations. Lots of possibilities, really, once you develop the capability of tracking a specific student's attendance over time.

3. This new "Spirit of '88" program could also be a membership organization with dues (perhaps as a sub-section of LTAC, which is why I advocate housing it under the Foundation; need to consider the implications of that). At least once a year a big event would be held, either as a membership drive or for members only (or perhaps a big membership drive event and several smaller members-only events). An up-to-date card-swiping system would help fairly regulate the members-only events. Anyway, the big event would have coaches, student athletes, multimedia presentations, free food, prizes, etc. It would be a way to draw attention to the "Spirit of '88" program and also give students interaction with coaches and players (i.e., "ownership" of Tech athletics by being made to feel part of it in a personal way).

The overarching goal of such a program would be to increase student "ownership" of Tech athletics. This sense of ownership would be developed by giving financially to the program (through the membership dues, which I envision being $25-$50, perhaps even having levels of membership with points or other privileges awarded for higher levels, similar to but separate from the current LTAC levels), interacting with student-athletes and coaches at organizational events, and having easy-to-obtain incentives for attending sporting events (one drawback to the current "Spirit of '88" program is that the "points" are very labor-intensive and dependent on very busy students to track, so it is sometimes hard to get your points even when you attend regularly).

Such a feeling of ownership should, in turn, produce alumni who continue to feel that connection after they leave. And in very concrete terms, they are already in the habit of contributing financially to the program, making it a softer sell for the Foundation down the road.

EDIT: It was not intentional that this is post number 8088.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Re: Student Involvement

These are all great ideas. Talking to former athletes and students this has been an area where Tech has stuggled for a long time (making alumni feel connected, wanted...) If they have a sense of ownership before they leave we would have to have an Oakian philosophy reintroduced at Tech to run them off.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    These are all great ideas. Talking to former athletes and students this has been an area where Tech has stuggled for a long time (making alumni feel connected, wanted...) If they have a sense of ownership before they leave we would have to have an Oakian philosophy reintroduced at Tech to run them off.
    I didn't notice your signature until I saw you in the Tech Report. Congrats!

Puppy greendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nicegreendawg is just really nice greendawg's Avatar

I have felt for years that all Tech students organizations need look upon themselves as support groups and not just social or service groups. I think all groups must have a min. of 20% of the membership at Tech sporting events on the weekend. I do not include weekday because they may have tests and projects due the next day.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greendawg View Post
    I have felt for years that all Tech students organizations need look upon themselves as support groups and not just social or service groups. I think all groups must have a min. of 20% of the membership at Tech sporting events on the weekend. I do not include weekday because they may have tests and projects due the next day.

When ALL student organizations are made to feel welcome at Tech, then maybe we should expect a minimum of attendance at games, but as long as some are treated like outsiders, it won't and shouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    When ALL student organizations are made to feel welcome at Tech, then maybe we should expect a minimum of attendance at games, but as long as some are treated like outsiders, it won't and shouldn't happen.
    Not to help hi-jack my own thread, but I think you have an exaggerated view of how non-greek organizations are treated at Tech. It seems to me that SGA is the only apparent "favored child" on campus, and other organizations vary widely in their success, primarily due to their own internal factors and supports.

In any event, these politics should have little to do with the kind of program I am proposing. All students--and organizations--should have equal access to it, and if they choose not to participate that is their choice.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Not to help hi-jack my own thread, but I think you have an exaggerated view of how non-greek organizations are treated at Tech. It seems to me that SGA is the only apparent "favored child" on campus, and other organizations vary widely in their success, primarily due to their own internal factors and supports.

In any event, these politics should have little to do with the kind of program I am proposing. All students--and organizations--should have equal access to it, and if they choose not to participate that is their choice.
    Besides which, I am not sure that not supporting athletic events is really the best way to show displeasure at the administration. The Deans* and VPs aren't out there, those are fellow students.

* Until your kids are old enough to suit up for the Dawgs, at which point there will be Deans out there, but of a different variety and still "fellow students."

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Besides which, I am not sure that not supporting athletic events is really the best way to show displeasure at the administration. The Deans* and VPs aren't out there, those are fellow students.

* Until your kids are old enough to suit up for the Dawgs, at which point there will be Deans out there, but of a different variety and still "fellow students."
    I really doubt that the political struggles with the admin are the reason that the Greeks don't seem to be showing up like they used to. The fact is, in the period that Dirty was describing previously, EVERYONE showed up. Now, except for football, NO ONE is showing up. Unless all campus organizations are in political struggles with the administration (which can be largely true, any given quarter), that doesn't explain the current deal.

You know what is sad? The athletic administration is hoping for just 200 students to show up to basketball games on a regular basis. They feel that would provide a good enough core to significantly boost the game atmosphere. It is really sad that we can't even get 200 students to these games. Most nights we seem to have barely 10% of that number (excluding the Hoop Troop and cheerleaders, of course).

Varsity Bulldog bdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nice

Well I can tell you one major factor that affects the student population at football games and that is those wannabe cops harassing the students about alcoholic beverages and handing out MIP's like there candy canes at Christmas. Im not tying to justify underage drinking but if you go to any other successful football school such as an LSU you don't have students getting harassed by the ATF or whoever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by bdawg34 View Post
    Well I can tell you one major factor that affects the student population at football games and that is those wannabe cops harassing the students about alcoholic beverages and handing out MIP's like there candy canes at Christmas. Im not tying to justify underage drinking but if you go to any other successful football school such as an LSU you don't have students getting harassed by the ATF or whoever that is.
    Actually, the student attendance at football games is one of the bright spots right now. (Obviously we'd like to have more there during breaks, but that is a separate issue in my mind.)

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdawg34 View Post
    Those students should find a better way to enjoy the game and such than alcohol.

Or a better way to hide it.

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Which organization(s) is being "treated like outsiders?"

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I watched the NC-Duke battle Wednesday night on TV. Duke's "Cameron Crazies" would have to be classified as at the top of student involvement ( followed by UNC's impromptu student celebration on their campus just a hop, skip and jump away in Chapel Hill.

This can easily be copied at Tech. Period. It's just a matter of making it a priority in one's life.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by playdablues View Post
    Which organization(s) is being "treated like outsiders?"

Can't tell you the names in particular, but just reading the board over the past few years, there have been various representatives of organizations come on here bemoaning their treatment by the admins. Who knows. Maybe it's just a generational thing. I don't know. Maybe it's a combination of both. But I do know this. Ultimately, it's the fault of the administration unless they've taken actions to find out why the students don't come to the games. Maybe they should include something on the registration form when they apply asking what would get them to games. Maybe they should have a questionnaire in a packet at orientation asking what can be done to be sure to get them to the games. I don't know, but they need to figure out a way to reach the student to get answers from them. Maybe they could take $5k out of the budget and offer a sampling of 500 students to answer a questionnaire for $10 asking what it would take to get them to the games. Get a good mixture from Freshmen to Seniors. Put something up and require them to all take the questionnaire at the same time so that the answers can be verified to be serious or they don't get the money. In other words, if asking about what type of entertainment would attract them to the games, if they put strippers, they're obviously not being realistic and just trying to earn the money. Anyway, just some ideas. I know that's not what you asked for, but you all know I can't just make it simple. One more thing. Once this information is obtained it must be implemented and done so in a way that the students have ample opportunity to know about it so they haven't made previous plans.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Can't tell you the names in particular, but just reading the board over the past few years, there have been various representatives of organizations come on here bemoaning their treatment by the admins. Who knows. Maybe it's just a generational thing. I don't know. Maybe it's a combination of both. But I do know this. Ultimately, it's the fault of the administration unless they've taken actions to find out why the students don't come to the games. Maybe they should include something on the registration form when they apply asking what would get them to games. Maybe they should have a questionnaire in a packet at orientation asking what can be done to be sure to get them to the games. I don't know, but they need to figure out a way to reach the student to get answers from them. Maybe they could take $5k out of the budget and offer a sampling of 500 students to answer a questionnaire for $10 asking what it would take to get them to the games. Get a good mixture from Freshmen to Seniors. Put something up and require them to all take the questionnaire at the same time so that the answers can be verified to be serious or they don't get the money. In other words, if asking about what type of entertainment would attract them to the games, if they put strippers, they're obviously not being realistic and just trying to earn the money. Anyway, just some ideas. I know that's not what you asked for, but you all know I can't just make it simple. One more thing. Once this information is obtained it must be implemented and done so in a way that the students have ample opportunity to know about it so they haven't made previous plans.
    Ah, but that would mean the administration would have to TRULY care about getting the students there. If I had a dollar for every time I have been asked by administration on how to increase student attendance and seen NOTHING done about it, I would be able to pay off my student loan.

+ Reply to Thread