+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope they go ahead and make Spoon HEAD COACH permanent.

Champ Westv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the roughWestv is a jewel in the rough

I hope they go ahead and make Spoon HEAD COACH permanent.

I hate that CL was fired. I hope that Spoon gets the HC nod. I hate "iterm" terminology. She is a fixture/posterchild for the Lady Techsters Basketball team. Good luck Spoon.

Champ DFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really niceDFWDawg is just really nice DFWDawg's Avatar

Re: I hope they go ahead and make Spoon HEAD COACH permanent.

I am guessing it is just a formality. Most every job I have gotten, whether I was already planned to be in it, they had to advertise it for HR reasons. Like you, I want Interim gone, especially for recruiting and commitment purposes. Coach Weatherspoon also deserves a good salary and contract. We need to make it clear we want her here for the long term.

After listening to her press conference on the Tech site, I just got the feeling she is going to be the right person we need right now. She has passion, communicates smartly, and was down to business. Just as a good manager looks after their employees I got the sense in the conference she was doing the same with her players. It is a completely different atmosphere with her as Head Coach now.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Will Spoon throw a hissy-fit and take her ball and go home if not offered a 5-year contract?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Will Spoon throw a hissy-fit and take her ball and go home if not offered a 5-year contract?
    I doubt it. I think she is much more grounded. The question is IF she wants it. Hopefully she will want it and we don't screw this up.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

She just might if she already has an offer in her pocket to more than double the salary that Tech offers her. And, she hasn't been an assistant at Tech for more than a decade patiently waiting her chance to be the head coach. Yep, she just might.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    She just might if she already has an offer in her pocket to more than double the salary that Tech offers her. And, she hasn't been an assistant at Tech for more than a decade patiently waiting her chance to be the head coach. Yep, she just might.
    I doubt it. Not everyone is devoid of class and integrity.

You must view the world thru some rotten glasses. Thankfully, not everyone is self-centered, egotistical, and a plain old cry baby.

Puppy longtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the ears

i don't know about the hissy fit but i agree with coach dooley. we don't even know if spoon is the right person for the job yet. we need to accept the fact that spoon is the interim head coach and this will be a two way decision after the season. we shouldn't assume that spoon absolutely wants to be the head coach here next year. she was adamant that she didn't come to tech to be the head coach at the press conference and originally stated that tech was a good place to "start" her coaching career when she was hired for the ahc job.

there will be head coaching vacancies in major conferences at the end of the season. there will be open assistant positions that could probably double her salary. it's not fair to spoon or tech to name her the head coach now. what if st. john's, usc, ohio state, or seton hall fire their coaches? what if she wants to go somewhere and build up her own program or coach in the pros? what if a big time coach at a big time program offers her the second chair? what if spoon loses her next 6 games? what if these players who liked long a lot more than the fans did continue their win one-lose one routine? wouldn't it only be fair to hold spoon to the same standards we held long? like she said, she's where she is now. let's focus on now and let tomorrow play itself out.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

I doubt it. Not everyone is devoid of class and integrity. Who are you referring to and why?

You must view the world thru some rotten glasses. Precisely how am I doing this? Thankfully, not everyone is self-centered, egotistical, and a plain old cry baby. Again, who are you referring to here and what led you to this opinion?
    Please respond with more than your drive-by comments.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimetechsterfan View Post
    i don't know about the hissy fit but i agree with coach dooley. we don't even know if spoon is the right person for the job yet. we need to accept the fact that spoon is the interim head coach and this will be a two way decision after the season. we shouldn't assume that spoon absolutely wants to be the head coach here next year. she was adamant that she didn't come to tech to be the head coach at the press conference and originally stated that tech was a good place to "start" her coaching career when she was hired for the ahc job.

there will be head coaching vacancies in major conferences at the end of the season. there will be open assistant positions that could probably double her salary. it's not fair to spoon or tech to name her the head coach now. what if st. john's, usc, ohio state, or seton hall fire their coaches? what if she wants to go somewhere and build up her own program or coach in the pros? what if a big time coach at a big time program offers her the second chair? what if spoon loses her next 6 games? what if these players who liked long a lot more than the fans did continue their win one-lose one routine? wouldn't it only be fair to hold spoon to the same standards we held long? like she said, she's where she is now. let's focus on now and let tomorrow play itself out.
    Excellent post, longtimetechsterfan. You support your opinions with sound and logical reasoning on your part. I noticed that your are a new participant on this board. Welcome, and I look forward to more of your thoughts in the future.

Varsity Bulldog PTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the rough PTDAWG's Avatar

Totally different situation. Look where your so-called "hissy fit" has led us to!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I have a question for those who have attended the games this year. Was there any difference in the pregame warmup routines between when Long was coach and last night? What other differences did you notice in the teams play from when Long was coach and last night. I'm not talking emotional, but more strategical.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I have a question for those who have attended the games this year. Was there any difference in the pregame warmup routines between when Long was coach and last night? What other differences did you notice in the teams play from when Long was coach and last night. I'm not talking emotional, but more strategical.
    Dirty,
    I have seen every game on TechTV and on the opponent's sites and attended several. On strategy, the biggest difference was man to man defense and a LOT of pressing. As for offensive strategy, I didn't see much difference. Mostly it was intensity.

I think Long is one of the best as a tactician. He always was able to break down game film and come up with great game plans, but just didn't have the intensity or emotion that means so much to this game.

Anyway, I hope some that have been to all the games can answer - especially about the pre-game. Spoon stated that she was going to "tweak" things, though, not change a lot at this point in the season.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Dirty,
    I have seen every game on TechTV and on the opponent's sites and attended several. On strategy, the biggest difference was man to man defense and a LOT of pressing. As for offensive strategy, I didn't see much difference. Mostly it was intensity.

I think Long is one of the best as a tactician. He always was able to break down game film and come up with great game plans, but just didn't have the intensity or emotion that means so much to this game.

Anyway, I hope some that have been to all the games can answer - especially about the pre-game. Spoon stated that she was going to "tweak" things, though, not change a lot at this point in the season.
    Thanks for the answer. I guess I shouldn't try to be so sneaky as to why I want to know, so I'll just come out and say it. It's in response to all these follks who are indicating that Spoon may not even want to be coach after this year and that she emphatically stated she came here not as a HC role, et... The fact is, I don't believe that. I think she came back with the sole intent of taking over the Techster program to see if it could be returned to its former self. I'm not saying she came to undermine Long, however, I don't think there was any doubt that she would take over if he continued to struggle. So the question remains, if Spoon makes these little tweaks that could range from pre-game warmups to actual game plans and in game strategies, not to mention whatever deviations are made in practices, and these changes are the catalyst to send us on a winning streak and cause this team to perform as everyone has been saying they can perform for the past 3 years. Why weren't they implemented before? Is it because Long didn't feel they were necessary or is it because Spoon didn't offer her advice as an assistant on the best way to prepare for today's type game? Personally, I don't think she tried to undermined him, but I also think she knew that he wouldn't be receptive to her trying to overhaul too much, so she kept it to herself. I seriously do not think Spoon came to Tech so we could be a "jumping ground" to another university. She might go into coaching on the WNBA level, but not another college wbb program. I think her "conviction" in saying she came to be an assistant and loyal to Long was for one thing and one thing only-to keep from making her look like a backstabber. However, I'll say it again. I don't think she came to undermind Long either. I think she played her role with integrity and honor and did what he asked of her without questioning him in front of or away from the players. However, I'm convinced that when she came on board she knew, as did everyone, that she was going to be the next HC and Long's days were numbered. Mark my words. She will be the next HC of the Lady Techsters.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

What a moronic statement. Kim had given her entire career to Tech. She had been on the sidelines, coaching, recruiting, and keeping butts in the stands.

You relate Kim's story to the possibility of Spoon "throwing a hissy fit" if Spoon doesn't get a five-year contract. Spoon SHOULD NOT get a five year contract, and I'm a HUGE fan of her and WANT her to stay on as the HC.

You, and others like you, who point the finger at Kim are simply, IMNSHO, the true cry babies. And the glasses YOU view the world through must be reflectors.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Dirty,

"One of the best." Really? I totally get your point about intensity and emotion, but at some point we MUST look at the fact that if he DID do such a great job of breaking down film and coming up with a game plan, AND if we have the talent that most think we have, then WHY is the program where it is? Are you saying we're in the sorry shape we're in because Long lacked emotion and intensity?

Honestly, I know you like Long. I know you want the best for him, as do many of us although we're THRILLED he is gone. But I've not seen anything that demonstrates his being "one of the best" tacticians. That said, you've seen more than I. So you have a different perspective. But from what I've seen, I don't buy that.

+ Reply to Thread