+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: I hope they go ahead and make Spoon HEAD COACH permanent.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: I hope they go ahead and make Spoon HEAD COACH permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Dooley is popular because of his performance on BOTH jobs. And he is FAR from bullet-proof. And Weatherspoon has definitely been enjoying something of the rock-start treatment in her homecoming. If she is passed over for the job after the performance she put in as interim, I guarantee there would be some very PUBLIC displays of disapproval and Dooley would lose a fair amount of the goodwill he has built up. If you don't believe there would be repercussions for him (no, he wouldn't be run out of town, but he would spark a storm) if he appeared to run Spoon off, you still have a great deal to learn about Ruston.

Anyway, unless Pat Summitt has contacted Dooley via back channels and offered to take the WBB coaching position pro bono, this decision is 1) a no brainer and 2) clearly in the best interest of the program at this time. If Dooley has truly earned his reputation as a good AD, I can't see him dropping the ball on this. And if he did, any criticism he got would be completely valid.

You and Cal&Ken both posted exaggerated positions, but hers is closer to the truth. It's only partly because of its being the Techster program; it has a lot to do with running off a coach who just went on an 8-1 run with someone else's players.
    I completely agree with your first 2 paragraphs. There would be rumblings and people would be mad, but some of these guys are saying that Dooley would get run out of town. THAT's what I'm calling BS on. What if it's told that TSpoon wants $300K a year and we obviously don't have the money and she walks (Ariz St just extended their coach at 275K, so this isn't an unreasable number)?? Would Dooley be canned??

In my opinion, the ONLY way that you don't hire her is if Barmore wants back (very unlikely), Mulkey wants here (extremely unlikely until Reneau retires, and even then it's a long shot), or someone else with a big name and NCAA coaching expirience has already turned in their resume (possible... but not likely). Spoon WILL BE the next head coach... it's just a formality right now, but if for some reason it doesn't happen, make sure that you know the details before you blow up and try and demand Dooley's head.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Dang DD....let's get TSpoon hired already!!!!!!

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

What is he waiting for?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    What is he waiting for?
    A meeting with Leon now that Baylor's run is done????????????????? Is he hoping for Leon to be the HC of the Techsters or take an Asst HC slot like he did at Baylor only this time under TSpoon?????? This would be a huge sign/perception of strength and DD likes to have TECH looking strong and being the ones in control. Is this what's going on???????

I'm now thinking that this is now in the cards folks. There's NO OTHER REASON, for this to drag on, that this makes any sense. The wait surly isn't over $$ and her length of contract again. I'm possibly seeing Leon in the picture or at least being asked.

We can only wait ( 1 week or so after he gets back to Ruston?) and hope this is in the cards. They would sure make a great team!!!!!!!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    A meeting with Leon now that Baylor's run is done????????????????? Is he hoping for Leon to be the HC of the Techsters or take an Asst HC slot like he did at Baylor only this time under TSpoon?????? This would be a huge sign/perception of strength and DD likes to have TECH looking strong and being the ones in control. Is this what's going on???????

I'm now thinking that this is now in the cards folks. There's NO OTHER REASON, for this to drag on, that this makes any sense. The wait surly isn't over $$ and her length of contract again. I'm possibly seeing Leon in the picture or at least being asked.

We can only wait ( 1 week or so after he gets back to Ruston?) and hope this is in the cards. They would sure make a great team!!!!!!!!
    I believe Leon will be at Baylor for one more year. He has as much as said so, because he wants to coach that big coming in at Baylor. Another reason is that I think Leon knows the importance of Spoon developing her name and her team. If Leon was to return and we did well, he would be given the credit (even as an Asst. Coach). I think Spoon will be named HC and Leon will come on as an Asst. year after next.

Why the wait? TIMING! Dooley wants to get some press out of this and show what we are doing to the country. We can't grab headlines while the NCAA tournament is still going on. I am looking for the announcement the week after the tournament ends.

The only glitch I see in my thoughts on Leon is that Spoon will need to hire someone this year and no one would want to come in as a temporary position. I haven't thought that one through yet. Now, Cynthia Cooper has been seen at one Techster game at the TAC. She is HC at Prairie View, who lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. An Associate HC position for her would be a step up in salary and prestige for her. She can then move on to a HC position at another school with some big offers.

It is like trying to figure out a puzzle, but I think there is a master plan and only Dooley and Spoon know how the pieces will fall into place. It will be interesting to watch - post NCAA tournament.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I would love to see Coop come to Tech. She is dynamic player and a real competitor. She coaced briefly in the WNBA. Who is coaching our posts right now? Do we need to bring in a coach for them?

Puppy longtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the earslongtimetechsterfan seems to have something between the ears

i love leon but i don't like the leon idea. tech doesn't need a part time coach right now. it's going to take all hands on deck to get tech back to the top 50. he's earned the right to come back as many times as he wants, but i'd rather use our limited budget wisely. i'm sure he still supports spoon and gives her all the advice she requests anyway, so what's the point in officially hiring him? she's probably got just as much access to his wisdom as kim does and doesn't have to pay a dime for it.

cooper was rumored to be in contention for the usc job if they fire their coach. i don't think she's interested in being anyone's assistant although if she were to do it for anyone, it'd probably be spoon. i don't think having two alpha personalities would be a good idea either and even at their ages they'd probably be our best backcourt. sometimes best friends don't make good co-workers when there are titles involved.

if spoon is hired, it will be interesting to see if she completely revamps the coaching staff. i know she's got a lot of connections in the basketball community and might want to bring in her own people to get more of a national recruiting advantage and level of comfort. not that they aren't good assistants, but our current staff is very regional at the moment and was inherited from long obviously. it's too bad we probably can't lure jeff house from virginia. he's probably one of the best assistant coaches and recruiters in the country and has a great history with spoon on and off the court. he's exactly the type of coach spoon would need on her bench. he's got experience at every level, he's recruited across the country, he's a great game planner, he relates well to players and he'd be a trusted right hand given their pre-existing professional relationship. he'd even be a great head coaching candidate. his only fault is that he doesn't have a head coach's personality and he's probably making 5x as much at virginia thanks to the great recruiting classes he's put together.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

With all this speculation, I hope we aren't getting way ahead of ourselves and setting ourselves up for disappointment. I'll be happy with just Spoon and whoever she wants on her staff. Too many cooks can spoil the food.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    With all this speculation, I hope we aren't getting way ahead of ourselves and setting ourselves up for disappointment. I'll be happy with just Spoon and whoever she wants on her staff. Too many cooks can spoil the food.
    Same here.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    What is he waiting for?
    I don't know what he's waiting for. So, all of this is speculation: Based on what he said about not wanting a coaching search to be a distraction for the team, he may have only just gotten started. So it could be that they are still in the behind-the-scenes contract negotiations phase.

Also, does anybody know if they are required to advertise this position? I expect there will have to be some sort of "formal" job search, even if it is a case where it would be difficult for another applicant to unseat Spoon.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

April 13th - the monday after the Spring Game is when attention will be paid to our next wbb HC....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

What happened to being able to walk and chew gum at the same time? ..................................oh, wait, that was about something else.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

The timing of the announcement, imo, should be DURING the Final Four, not after. NO ONE is covering WBB after the Final Four, while ALL wbb fans and potential recruits are watching and reading everything during the tourney.

I disagree about waiting until the tourney ends.

As far as Cooper, I realize I'll open a can of worms by asking this, but WHY would she want to come to Ruston? She is already a HC and took her team to the tourney. She has already proven herself. Spoon hasn't. And Cooper playing second fiddle to anyone, imo, is a scenario destined to end with a less than productive outcome.

Leon coming back....Leon not coming back. For so many people who keep telling me and a few others on here to stop living in the past....damn, look in the mirror! You need to let Leon go. HE LEFT. LEON IS THE PAST, and I think he is one of if not THE greatest wbb coach of all time, and I still cheer for him at Baylor, but he is the past and Spoon is now the future. Spoon will never be credited with rebuilding the team as long as Leon is sitting by her side. That, of course, is just my opinion.

I think you make a good point about publicity during the final four. Whether Leon should or should not is a moot point in my opinion. I don't think he WILL. He knows how important it is for Spoon to develop her own program. Maybe in a few years he might lend a hand.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Off season sucks, doesn't it??? People love to argue and fight these days. Every single thread from football to mbb to wbb - all about arguments
    Football season needs to be here fast.

+ Reply to Thread