+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope they go ahead and make Spoon HEAD COACH permanent.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: I hope they go ahead and make Spoon HEAD COACH permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    What a moronic statement. Kim had given her entire career to Tech. She had been on the sidelines, coaching, recruiting, and keeping butts in the stands.

You relate Kim's story to the possibility of Spoon "throwing a hissy fit" if Spoon doesn't get a five-year contract. Spoon SHOULD NOT get a five year contract, and I'm a HUGE fan of her and WANT her to stay on as the HC.

You, and others like you, who point the finger at Kim are simply, IMNSHO, the true cry babies. And the glasses YOU view the world through must be reflectors.
    I must be one of the crybabies then because I think there came a point, and it had nothing to do with the 5 year deal, that Kim decided she didn't want to be at Tech anymore, and that once she had that Baylor offer, if she had been given the 5 years, she would have come up with a different reason to leave. There's just too much been said by her in articles at the time she left about builiding her own legacy not to mention the fact that her tantrums really kicked in when Leon's contract came up and he got another 3 year extension. I think she expected him to leave at the end of the contract then she was going to take over, but when that didn't happen she felt betrayed. Their relationship seemed strained ever since then, and if I'm not mistaken, that's around the same time that Alan Beard had her famous visit in which she saw Kim in her ballistic mode which helped her decide to go to Duke, so the rumors have it. Anyway, Leon decided to retire a year after his new 3 year extension, and I believe it was for Kim's sake, but you know what they say about a woman scorned. I think she had already sent out fillers for coaching positions and Baylor was just too good to pass up, but since Leon had announced his retirement, she had to go through the process. I think she knew from the outset that she wouldn't get a 5 year contract because no one had ever gotten one before, and I'm sure that was all discussed previously, and I think she knew she could use that as her ace in the hole as her reason to leave.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

"One of the best." Really? I totally get your point about intensity and emotion, but at some point we MUST look at the fact that if he DID do such a great job of breaking down film and coming up with a game plan, AND if we have the talent that most think we have, then WHY is the program where it is? Are you saying we're in the sorry shape we're in because Long lacked emotion and intensity?

Honestly, I know you like Long. I know you want the best for him, as do many of us although we're THRILLED he is gone. But I've not seen anything that demonstrates his being "one of the best" tacticians. That said, you've seen more than I. So you have a different perspective. But from what I've seen, I don't buy that.
    Not to disagree again, but I think I understand where Champ is coming from. In fact, both Leon and Kim have said that Long's breaking down of films of the opponent and coming up with game plans are excellent. I think where he lacked was the ability to translate that in coaching it to the players. I think, at least offensively, we were in position many times to take advantage of mismatches but our girls just couldn't shoot. How many times have we heard that over the past couple of years that we weren't making the open shots and lay ups. We would have beaten LSU in New Orleans last year had we been able to make our shots. He had a great game plan, but just couldn't teach his girls to execute it and apparently his assistants couldn't either for some reason or other. Now, this is all pregame planning. That's different than in game adjustments. Maybe he lacked in that area, and it seems to have been the case because how many times the last couple of years and especially this year have we seen our girls give up nice leads. I contribute that to the other coaches making adjustments and Long trying to stick to the game plan he had at the start. I don't think this was a big problem for him at the high school level because a majority of other high school coaches suffer the same problems. I think Long would be a good addition on a staff to set up the early game plan on how to attack a team and take advantage of their weaknesses, but as the game goes on he'd be less of an asset. That's where one of your other assistants come in.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I guess I shouldn't try to be so sneaky as to why I want to know, so I'll just come out and say it. It's in response to all these follks who are indicating that Spoon may not even want to be coach after this year and that she emphatically stated she came here not as a HC role, et... The fact is, I don't believe that. I think she came back with the sole intent of taking over the Techster program to see if it could be returned to its former self. I'm not saying she came to undermine Long, however, I don't think there was any doubt that she would take over if he continued to struggle. So the question remains, if Spoon makes these little tweaks that could range from pre-game warmups to actual game plans and in game strategies, not to mention whatever deviations are made in practices, and these changes are the catalyst to send us on a winning streak and cause this team to perform as everyone has been saying they can perform for the past 3 years. Why weren't they implemented before? Is it because Long didn't feel they were necessary or is it because Spoon didn't offer her advice as an assistant on the best way to prepare for today's type game? Personally, I don't think she tried to undermined him, but I also think she knew that he wouldn't be receptive to her trying to overhaul too much, so she kept it to herself. I seriously do not think Spoon came to Tech so we could be a "jumping ground" to another university. She might go into coaching on the WNBA level, but not another college wbb program. I think her "conviction" in saying she came to be an assistant and loyal to Long was for one thing and one thing only-to keep from making her look like a backstabber. However, I'll say it again. I don't think she came to undermind Long either. I think she played her role with integrity and honor and did what he asked of her without questioning him in front of or away from the players. However, I'm convinced that when she came on board she knew, as did everyone, that she was going to be the next HC and Long's days were numbered. Mark my words. She will be the next HC of the Lady Techsters.
    I agree with you about Spoon being here for a purpose. We talked about it when she got here and I think it was all in the plan, except it happened sooner than expected.

I don't think she can change things overnight. It is going to be little things for a while. The players are hurting and she needs to reassure them right now by not making sweeping changes.

Yeah, I think she took a second role to Long (as she was hired to do). She was not the designer of the game plan or the "during the game" adjustments.

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

dirty i noticed distinct changes in the warmup and throughout the game

even so much as; when the team came over for the alma mater at the end of the game; she always stood near the back; last night she was right up front; she certainly understands the role of head coach and leader;

she modeled perfectly how to be a good assistant before now; and now she has nonverbally stepped into that leadership role; it is often the nonspoken things that say the most.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I drove over to see the game Friday and enjoyed every minute of it! We had court side seats not far behind the Tech bench so we saw a lot. TSpoon's presence on the court was amazing and just what this team needed. She gave the refs heck during one stretch to the point I thought she might draw a T. And she worked the refs when they walked by. And she didn't have to demand total attention, when the gals were on the bench during timeouts, because they viewed her in awe as a leader and coach. We loved watching our ladies intensity, on both ends of the court, throughout the game as well. I hope we get to watch her coach for a very long time on Malone Court. I believe Spoon will make us all very proud of the Techsters again! Well done TSpoon and team!
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 02-14-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

What a moronic statement. Kim had given her entire career to Tech. She had been on the sidelines, coaching, recruiting, and keeping butts in the stands.

You relate Kim's story to the possibility of Spoon "throwing a hissy fit" if Spoon doesn't get a five-year contract. Spoon SHOULD NOT get a five year contract, and I'm a HUGE fan of her and WANT her to stay on as the HC.

You, and others like you, who point the finger at Kim are simply, IMNSHO, the true cry babies. And the glasses YOU view the world through must be reflectors.
    Thank you pigtail apologist. Shouldn't you be posting on the Baylor board? (maybe you do!)

As for how I view the world, it is just fine, thank you.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

You can all guess and speculate all you want about why Kim left. The FACTS though, tell a different story.

Kim left, she said WHY she left, and LEON taking the BAYLOR JOB backs up Kim's experience. If Kim was the traitor some paint her to be, and then Leon went and joined her, then he is a traitor too.

The way some of you put this, Oliver Stone could make a conspiracy film about it. Seriously. Tech screwed up. BIG TIME.

Kim doesn't NEED anyone to apologize for her. She would wipe the floor with the Techster program today. Your inability to see that doesn't make your opinion valid. I usually qualify most of my comments with "in my opinion." Not on this one, though, as you are just wrong.

Now, on to SPOON who is turning this program around! Go Techsters!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

You can all guess and speculate all you want about why Kim left. The FACTS though, tell a different story.

Kim left, she said WHY she left, and LEON taking the BAYLOR JOB backs up Kim's experience. If Kim was the traitor some paint her to be, and then Leon went and joined her, then he is a traitor too.

The way some of you put this, Oliver Stone could make a conspiracy film about it. Seriously. Tech screwed up. BIG TIME.

Kim doesn't NEED anyone to apologize for her. She would wipe the floor with the Techster program today. Your inability to see that doesn't make your opinion valid. I usually qualify most of my comments with "in my opinion." Not on this one, though, as you are just wrong.

I agree with what you state except for the highlighted. Because IMHO, DR screwed up letting her walk not Louisiana Tech the University. Plus KMR didn't help any by not taking the 4 year deal.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

DR is the head and brain of Louisiana Tech University - he screwed up when he represented LaTech. So one could say, if DR screwed up then LaTech screwed up. Anyway, Kim was the past. We're looking at the present and our present is Spoon. Go Spoon, Go Techsters!!!

You don't know the facts anymore than the rest of us do. Just because Kim writes a book from her side of the story doesn't make it factual. It makes it her side of the story. However, there are factual quotes out there in which Kim has said she wanted to create her own legacy. As far as Leon taking the asst. job doesn't prove a thing about how her deal went down. If you'll remember and if you can't remember, you can read in the article posted on one of these threads, the relationship between Kim and Leon has only recently been repaired. It was strained for years when she left. That is a fact that points more to Kim's embellishment of her experience than support for her experience. If Leon truly backed Kim, he wouldn't have come out of retirement to coach the Lady Techsters when she screwed his program over, and in my opinion his going to Baylor does mark him a traitor.

Finally, where in the heck did anyone say that Kim wouldn't wipe the floor with the Techster program today? She'd wipe the floor and does so with many programs on Tech's level. I don't know where that came from. The bottom line is this, Fan. You have no affiliation with Tech whatsoever other than the Lady Techsters. You don't know the facts of how our President and AD worked our coaching contracts that the time Kim was to take over as others who post on here do that have followed all Tech sports throughout the years. You claim that we don't have the facts yet you do just because you believe what she says happened in a book. Now that's a better one for Oliver Stone.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westv View Post
    I hate that CL was fired. I hope that Spoon gets the HC nod. I hate "iterm" terminology. She is a fixture/posterchild for the Lady Techsters Basketball team. Good luck Spoon.
    Geeez....that's kind of a knee-jerk reaction. What if we yank the interim tag from T-Spoon and she fails miserably? Just let's things play out. I'm a T-Spoon fan....but as the old saying goes....let's just see if this Dawg can hunt first.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 02-15-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I doubt it. Not everyone is devoid of class and integrity.

You must view the world thru some rotten glasses. Thankfully, not everyone is self-centered, egotistical, and a plain old cry baby.
    Dawg80, the only person crying is YOU.....Kim Mulkey's just winning championships.

Besides, it's quite obvious that Mulkey is on your mind a whole lot more than YOU are on hers.

HD

Great post. Truer words have never been spoken. Louisiana Tech screwed up, and we've been paying for the mistake ever since. Some folks just can't learn from their mistakes.

HD

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    You don't know the facts anymore than the rest of us do. Just because Kim writes a book from her side of the story doesn't make it factual. It makes it her side of the story. However, there are factual quotes out there in which Kim has said she wanted to create her own legacy. As far as Leon taking the asst. job doesn't prove a thing about how her deal went down. If you'll remember and if you can't remember, you can read in the article posted on one of these threads, the relationship between Kim and Leon has only recently been repaired. It was strained for years when she left. That is a fact that points more to Kim's embellishment of her experience than support for her experience. If Leon truly backed Kim, he wouldn't have come out of retirement to coach the Lady Techsters when she screwed his program over, and in my opinion his going to Baylor does mark him a traitor.

Finally, where in the heck did anyone say that Kim wouldn't wipe the floor with the Techster program today? She'd wipe the floor and does so with many programs on Tech's level. I don't know where that came from. The bottom line is this, Fan. You have no affiliation with Tech whatsoever other than the Lady Techsters. You don't know the facts of how our President and AD worked our coaching contracts that the time Kim was to take over as others who post on here do that have followed all Tech sports throughout the years. You claim that we don't have the facts yet you do just because you believe what she says happened in a book. Now that's a better one for Oliver Stone.
    That's a tired, old, post DD. Been there, done that.

HD

Big Dog BullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the rough BullPupN'46's Avatar

Go back and read the articles in the Texas papers and the quotes from Mulky. She showed her self real well. Said some very hateful things about Tech and Ruston...She was a "spoiled brat" back then.
    When her husband left her she went running to Leon for his counsel and help. A lot of you do not know Leon as an individual nor do you know the real Mulky.

+ Reply to Thread