+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shakespeare Quotes

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Shakespeare Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post

Being the good husband I am, I posted it. I have no idea what it means. I am poetry ignorant.
    I'm pretty sure that is from the one Brian likes the movie version of so much. They sing it right before they all go running around ripping off their clothes.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

My wife TOLD me to post this:

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh nor more;
    Men were deceivers ever;
    One foot in sea and one on shore,
    To one thing constant never;
    Then sigh not so,
    But let them go,
    And be you blithe and bonny;
    Converting all your sounds of woe
    Into. Hey nonny, nonny.

Sing no more ditties, sing no mo,
    Or dumps so dull and heavy;
    The fraud of men was ever so,
    Since summer first was leavy.
    Then sigh not so,
    But let them go,
    And be you blithe and bonny,
    Converting all your sounds of woe
    Into. Hey, nonny, nonny.

Being the good husband I am, I posted it. I have no idea what it means. I am poetry ignorant.
    "boys will be boys"

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is from the one Brian likes the movie version of so much. They sing it right before they all go running around ripping off their clothes.
    Indeed, although I'm pretty sure the sonnet is not from the play. It makes a couple of appearances in the film, though. Once it is read as a poem by a sunburnt Emma Thompson. Then it is sung by one of the prince's buddies, played by Patrick Doyle, who is better known as a soundtrack composer. The part where they take off their clothes happens after the poetry reading.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

The taking off of clothes. Is it the women or the men? I don't want to go rent this movie to see men naked.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    The taking off of clothes. Is it the women or the men? I don't want to go rent this movie to see men naked.

You will see titties. Doc did.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

You will see titties. Doc did.
    He didn't see any hamburger, did he?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Both. Basically, the gals and old folks are lying around reading poetry when they get word that the prince and his men are approaching. So they go to the bath house to get all washed up. The prince and his gang arrive and do the same thing.

Not really anything to get all worked up about. If you want to see boobs, I'd suggest you just pick up your dirty laundry for a change and see if that gets you anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Both. Basically, the gals and old folks are lying around reading poetry when they get word that the prince and his men are approaching. So they go to the bath house to get all washed up. The prince and his gang arrive and do the same thing.

Not really anything to get all worked up about. If you want to see boobs, I'd suggest you just pick up your dirty laundry for a change and see if that gets you anywhere.
    Nah. That's okay. I see plenty boobs when I look in the mirror after my shower.

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

I had Dr. Samaha. I really enjoyed his class. I used to go to his office and discuss different types of pipe tobacco and let him review my poetry. I did well in his class. I did have Dr. Ed Jacobs for other classes, and he was by far one of my 3 favorite professors. Of course, most of his classes I took after my wife and I split up and I went back to school so I was a bit older, but we used to have some good conversations. I remember taking Dante under him, and he used to try to crack jokes. He always laughed at his own jokes. Well, most of the younger students didn't understand his humor, but I did. I'm not saying it was funny, I just knew his references. I would laugh also, but it was mostly at his laughing at his own weak jokes. I think he thought I was laughing at his jokes because I did really well in his classes also.
    No doubt he was a very intelligent man. He did take it easier on me when he found out I was on my high school tennis team. That was until I made the mistake of telling him that the only reason I tried out for the team was because there were some really hot girls on the team. I mean really... doesn't every guy that plays tennis take up the game because of the girls in the short skirts?

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

"I always abide by the Bard's words." This was one of my lines from a play in HS. I recall a certain English teacher in HS who really knew how to get you interesred in Shakespeare. She let the boys split into groups and build models of the Globe Theatre. She told us some tid bits about WS that I will never forget: He made up the word "assassination", 13 is unlucky because there were 13 total suicides in his plays, none of his plays were published until after he died.

My favorite quote: "The devil can cite scripture for his purpose"

Dawgmatic, I see that yours is from Julius Caesar

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Men, at times, are masters of their own fate.
    The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars--but in ourselves
    - Julius Caesar (possibly not perfect but pretty close I think)

All of Henry V's speech at Agincourt--love that. Branagh's take on courting his bride in that movie version is pretty funny.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
    It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
    Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
    It blesseth him that gives and him that takes
    Merchant of Venice

Iago's quote about bewaring the "green eyed monster" is good (Othello)

Seems like I ought to be able to come up with something from Taming of the Shrew, but the best lines I can think of are from Kiss Me Kate

+ Reply to Thread