+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: An atheist holiday

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Re: An atheist holiday

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    Rather than use "conservative or liberal" I'd probably choose "interest or disinterest" people have with regards to certain matters. Many people probably have just barely enough energy to deal with life, and absent a good reason, seldom take time to ponder it. But then again, one never knows what's going on in someone else's head unless they're willing to talk about it.

For me, greater interest seems to run in cycles unless an event or question from one of the kids, etc. spurs another reexamination of what's going on out there. Having a few curious friends can be a blessing too. My best guess is that if most anyone had at least one friend with similar interests in any matter, they would find it less likely to get in the kind of rut you correctly describe.
    Be my guest, Hoppy......

You may "choose" to use interested and disinterested......
    Or motivated and unmotivated......
    Or concerned and unconcerned......
    Or brave and cowardly......
    Or tall and short......
    Rather than liberal and conservative OR conservative and liberal.

But I prefer painting any King's English portrait I postulate with carefully chosen words that most accurately convey my intended meaning.

Thus......
    I did not begin my last missive on this thread with any query to determine if others had observed that most human beings become disinterested, or unmotivated, or unconcerned, or cowardly, or short...... As they live out the final years and decades of their brief existence on our tiny planet.

And BTW......
    It is my personal opinion (via experience) that most aged human beings are no more disinterested, unmotivated, unconcerned, cowardly or short...... Than any particular group of younger human beings.

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Many people probably have just barely enough energy to deal with life, and absent a good reason, seldom take time to ponder it. But then again, one never knows what's going on in someone else's head unless they're willing to talk about it.

For me, greater interest seems to run in cycles unless an event or question from one of the kids, etc. spurs another reexamination of what's going on out there. Having a few curious friends can be a blessing too. My best guess is that if most anyone had at least one friend with similar interests in any matter, they would find it less likely to get in the kind of rut you correctly describe.
    IMNHO......
    No matter the "energy to deal with life" that any man may amass or squander......
    EVERY man creates and utilizes a philosophy of life, whether he may "take the time to ponder it"...... OR NOT!

And unlike the manner in which most men so readily and easily kneel before various "badges and names and dead institutions"......
    Most men are able to demonstrate a remarkable CERTAINTY of conviction, while relying upon little (if anything) beyond ANY happenstance philosophy they have inherited and lazily learned.

Any man may be physically forced into a "RUT" existence......
    But even a slave has the little grey cell capacity to think and to dream beyond the conforming confines of any such seemingly ruininous "RUT".

I have a goodly number of other thoughts on this topic......
    But since they represent the meat on the bone of another thread I intend to author......
    I'll satisfy my little grey cells with the above for tonight.

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Spinoza's signature line: I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Yep, I'm starting to get that feeling myself.

Regarding my last post and your last two; I doubt that life requires one to even have a philosophy much less reexamine it from time to time. Nobody said people don't have the grey matter to examine or reexamine life (or their own life), then make some adjustments, I'm saying living it has a higher priority than pondering it regardless of age.... and just because I said that doesn't mean I require you to believe it.

By Spinoza: Thus......
    I did not begin my last missive on this thread with any query to determine if others had observed that most human beings ...... As they live out the final years .....

You didn't?

Yep, I'm starting to get that feeling myself.
    Cheers to you, Hoppy......
    I selected my "signature" with care, and with purpose in mind.

And there's one other reality you should understand if you do not do so already.
    My only interest here is in "playing the game".
    I care not a fig about any contrived "final score".

Cheers.

You didn't?
    NO......
    I did not!

Cheers.

Regarding my last post and your last two; I doubt that life requires one to even have a philosophy much less reexamine it from time to time. Nobody said people don't have the grey matter to examine or reexamine life (or their own life), then make some adjustments, I'm saying living it has a higher priority than pondering it regardless of age.... and just because I said that doesn't mean I require you to believe it.
    I have no idea what "life requires"......
    And if I have ever used these words in a context that you believe justifies your above comment, please "quote me" in a blue box (I truly wish I knew how to do that) and I promise a reply.

However......
    Is it not your experiece that ALL human beings develop and evolve an ethics and value system (just as certainly as they develop and evolve physically) that they routinely employ in ALL their dealings with other human beings...... And in relating to EVERY other aspect of THEIR direct and indirect world?

If so......
    How is it logical for you to "doubt" that all human beings "have a philosphy"?

If you personally believe you know of any individual(s), or would care to suggest any known/historical person(s), whom you believe to be COMPLETELY devoid of any ethics and value system......
    Ergo a "philosophy......
    I would truly enjoy pursuing any such discussion.

I agree......
    That all human beings have "the grey matter to examine and reexamine life".

But how might it be possible for any human being to "LIVE IT"......
    Be it anything from a seemingly desirable life of relative ease, to a life of immense struggle and hardship......
    Without ever significantly "PONDERING IT"?

Cheers.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    1. I have no idea what "life requires"......
    And if I have ever used these words in a context that you believe justifies your above comment, please "quote me" in a blue box (I truly wish I knew how to do that) and I promise a reply.

2. However......
    Is it not your experiece that ALL human beings develop and evolve an ethics and value system (just as certainly as they develop and evolve physically) that they routinely employ in ALL their dealings with other human beings...... And in relating to EVERY other aspect of THEIR direct and indirect world?

If so......
    How is it logical for you to "doubt" that all human beings "have a philosphy"?

If you personally believe you know of any individual(s), or would care to suggest any known/historical person(s), whom you believe to be COMPLETELY devoid of any ethics and value system......
    Ergo a "philosophy......
    I would truly enjoy pursuing any such discussion.

I agree......
    That all human beings have "the grey matter to examine and reexamine life".

3. But how might it be possible for any human being to "LIVE IT"......
    Be it anything from a seemingly desirable life of relative ease, to a life of immense struggle and hardship......
    Without ever significantly "PONDERING IT"?

Cheers.

1. Yep, me neither, and I didn't post it as if I did. Lets do it this way...considering the number of people who have drawn a breath on this planet, do you ever recall hearing of an infant popping out holding a small book of rules and requirements?

2. I don't think that I know any but that doesn't mean much, however, it wouldn't surprise me if others on the planet knew or worked with some. If I were interested in seeking a few out, I'd probably begin by calling a few people who work with feral children and first getting their take on your question.

3. I don't recall anyone ever saying "....without ever...". I do recall someone saying:

"Many people probably have just barely enough energy to deal with life, and absent a good reason, seldom take time to ponder it. But then again, one never knows what's going on in someone else's head unless they're willing to talk about it.

Are we clear now?

And there's one other reality you should understand if you do not do so already.

Yep, me too ... but for myself, it's more like sitting around the kitchen table and listening.

test......

Varsity Bulldog gimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her game gimpcoach's Avatar

please change the name of this thread, since it is now a one on one discussion that has little if anything to do with the original post, which died a well deserved death long ago. How about the Spin-Hop Pissing Match?:icon_wink:

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gimpcoach View Post
    please change the name of this thread, since it is now a one on one discussion that has little if anything to do with the original post, which died a well deserved death long ago. How about the Spin-Hop Pissing Match?:icon_wink:
    Or "Grumpy Old Men."
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

How about the Spin-Hop Pissing Match?:icon_wink:
    Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Or "Grumpy Old Men."

Heh, heh, heh, good ones. Spin's the one that waylaid it but it's the first time I've seen him around this place. I'm sorta feeling like the only grandkid that'll comes in every morning to humor him and see if he wants me to get the nurse to change his drawers. Don't pile on him, he was testing his hearing aid! :icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog gimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her game gimpcoach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Or "Grumpy Old Men."
    good one

Heh, heh, heh, good ones. Spin's the one that waylaid it but it's the first time I've seen him around this place. I'm sorta feeling like the only grandkid that'll comes in every morning to humor him and see if he wants me to get the nurse to change his drawers. Don't pile on him, he was testing his hearing aid! :icon_wink:
    :bigcry:that one strikes pretty close to home! just because our favorite word is "WHAT?" and we know where every restroom is betweeen here and Canada . . . snotty grandkids!:icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by gimpcoach View Post
    :bigcry:that one strikes pretty close to home! just because our favorite word is "WHAT?" and we know where every restroom is betweeen here and Canada . . . snotty grandkids!:icon_wink:

Yep, now I just pretend I don't hear anybody until they get desperate enough to quit mumbling : ) .... and I got a pile of 'em too :icon_wink:.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post

Cheers.
    That's almost become my philosophy at work.

+ Reply to Thread