+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: An atheist holiday

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Re: An atheist holiday

Quote Originally Posted by RustonNative View Post
    In an evolutionary sense.

Yep, he probably also wonders why he likes tire swings too. There's a lot of people out there about one event or miracle away from taking a look at a lot of things....including the big picture.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

RustonNative - Apparantly some prefer to parade their ignorance. Genetics is like voodoo to them.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Varsity Bulldog RustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    RustonNative - Apparantly some prefer to parade their ignorance. Genetics is like voodoo to them.
    +10

That's okay. That's why we have things like darwin awards. "hey guys, watch this"

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

RustonNative - Apparantly some prefer to parade their ignorance.

Heh, heh, heh. Good one... Or I think it still is, but that line's been used by both sides of any issue for years.

Ages ago, I was entrenched with your take on it too, not even interested in any middle ground, but not to the point of pulling any stunts about it. Somehow I finally ended up in the middle / I can chuckle and live with both takes. What is an event for some may be a miracle for others. A good question for both sides may be - is it still possible that there is something out there that I don't know that I don't know? No matter what the answer, don't sweat it and keep looking. Probably won't be long before someone stumbles on something significant.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    Heh, heh, heh. Good one... Or I think it still is, but that line's been used by both sides of any issue for years.

Ages ago, I was entrenched with your take on it too, not even interested in any middle ground, but not to the point of pulling any stunts about it. Somehow I finally ended up in the middle / I can chuckle and live with both takes. What is an event for some may be a miracle for others. A good question for both sides may be - is it still possible that there is something out there that I don't know that I don't know? No matter what the answer, don't sweat it and keep looking. Probably won't be long before someone stumbles on something significant.
    There are likely many things that exist that I don't know about, but there is no reason to believe in all potential things that can be imagined to exist or to arbitrarily pick one or a few of them to believe in.
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

There are likely many things that exist that I don't know about, but there is no reason to believe in all potential things that can be imagined to exist or to arbitrarily pick one or a few of them to believe in.

... and I understand exactly how you feel. Belief may not be required about everything because belief one way or another, doesn't change some things, or that's the way it looks to me. I gotta run... but enjoyed talking with you about it.

Varsity Bulldog RustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really nice

This really gets to the heart of the matter for me.

For all we know, there is a great flying, pink unicorn in the sky with magical powers.

I don't see any evidence for it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But because I don't see any evidence, it means I won't believe in it.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I'm so happy Guisslap has a new friend to play with now. I felt bad for you for awhile there Guiss. But you disappoint me. Here he is talking about pink unicorns. You mean you haven't introduced him to your gremlin yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I'm so happy Guisslap has a new friend to play with now. I felt bad for you for awhile there Guiss. But you disappoint me. Here he is talking about pink unicorns. You mean you haven't introduced him to your gremlin yet?
    Sorry, I was out to lunch. I have lost my invisible gremlin. Let me know if you see him.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Sorry, I was out to lunch. I have lost my invisible gremlin. Let me know if you see him.
    I will do. I do talk to him everyday, at least twice, so if there's something you'd like me to relay to him for you I will, although he prefers to hear it directly from you.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RustonNative View Post
    This really gets to the heart of the matter for me.

For all we know, there is a great flying, pink unicorn in the sky with magical powers.

I don't see any evidence for it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

But because I don't see any evidence, it means I won't believe in it.

I would bet that there are plenty of things you don't have evidence of that you believe in. How do you believe the Earth formed? How do you believe the first living organism appeared? Show me evidence for that stuff. Yo are free to believe in what you want. But, if Christians are wrong, no big deal. If atheists are wrong, well, we all know what's in store for them.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    I would bet that there are plenty of things you don't have evidence of that you believe in. How do you believe the Earth formed? How do you believe the first living organism appeared? Show me evidence for that stuff. Yo are free to believe in what you want. But, if Christians are wrong, no big deal. If atheists are wrong, well, we all know what's in store for them.
    What if Satanists are right? What if Muslims are right? What if the Mormons are right? What if God actually intends to punish the Christians and this is a sick joke?

There is plenty of evidence on how the Earth was formed. I don't think scientists "believe" anything in particular about the origin of life. The mechanisms are still being studied.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

What if Satanists are right? What if Muslims are right? What if the Mormons are right? What if God actually intends to punish the Christians and this is a sick joke?

There is plenty of evidence on how the Earth was formed. I don't think scientists "believe" anything in particular about the origin of life. The mechanisms are still being studied.

What if........

I think you may be confusing 'belief' with knowledge. I don't believe in the earth - I know that it exists, because I'm standing on it. I don't have to know how it formed to know that it is here.

"if Christians are wrong, no big deal. If atheists are wrong, well, we all know what's in store for them."

I really hope that isn't the basis upon which you hold your faith. It's weak ground, and shouldn't be used as argument for anyone to convert to christianity (or any other reason for that matter). From what I know of the religion, God doesn't want you to join his team because you're afraid of what the consequences are otherwise. He wants you to join because you believe. ..And I don't.

I realize we disagree on this point, and that's fine. I'm not going to engage in name-calling, or try to convert you to my viewpoint. You are probably holding on to very deeply-held convictions, and for that I commend you.
    Last edited by RustonNative; 08-28-2009 at 01:35 PM.

What if........
    Exactly. "Just in case" is a silly reason to believe in anything.

+ Reply to Thread