+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will this be the Cubs "next year"?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Will this be the Cubs "next year"?

I grew up watching the Card's minor leaguers play in Little Rock. It was also the closest team besides the Rangers, and by far the one most Arkansans support.
    Last edited by inudesu; 02-25-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Well in new orleans you could either pick the cubs (WGN), the braves (TBS),or the astros. I just remember being off in the summertime and the cubs were on during the day. I like sandberg, grace, and the hawk. I was hooked. Plus they got the whole suck thing going like my saints.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

My dad was a BIG Ernie Banks fan -

I've been given Cubs baseball caps and shirts all my life -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    Well in new orleans you could either pick the cubs (WGN), the braves (TBS),or the astros. I just remember being off in the summertime and the cubs were on during the day. I like sandberg, grace, and the hawk. I was hooked. Plus they got the whole suck thing going like my saints.
    Plus Keith Moreland, Jody Davis and Ron Cey -

Rick Sutcliffe and Dennis Eckersley -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Like I said just started cheering for the CUBS again last season after going to the stadium. It is a playground for grown men. Used to like them when Sandberg played for them... loved his style of play and the way he didn't move around to the highest bidder. They are my NL team, my AL team is the Angels because they play small ball...they can bunt and steal and hit and run and they never seem to complain to the media. I love baseball when it is played the way it is supposed to be. That is why I liked these teams, also beacuse like someone pointed out they are on TV as well as the Braves and since my brother liked the Braves I had to cheer against them
    Last edited by BLUE collar; 02-25-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Fall quarter 1984, now granted I have been a baseball fan my whole life. I came of age in the 70's and was a big fan of the "big red machine". I'm walking to class and I overhear two guys talking about the Cubs. After class I go back to my dorm and turn on WGN and as I drifted in and out of the fog of a nap Harry Carrey and the Cubs captured my imagination. Since I was prone to late nights in those days and early classes seemed to be unavoidable by springtime my afternoon naps and lazing while one eyeing a Cubs game became a ritual. No night games then so the Cubs were on almost every day and by that summer I was hooked. 25 years later, Harry's gone, the lineup has changed over and over, managers have come and gone, but one things remains the same, no World Series.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    You Cubbies fans can crack on the Cards all you want, but then you have to face facts:

Cardinals:

World Series Titles: 10 (1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982, 2006)
    National League Pennants: 17 (1926, 1928, 1930, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1968, 1982, 1985, 1987, 2004, 2006)
    Playoffs: 22 (1926, 1928, 1930, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1968, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006)
    I hate you But then again. We all need a Darth vader in our life:icon_wink:

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs Up Re: Will this be the Cubs "next year"?

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    Being a Baton Rouge Native I can say the same thing. I worshiped Grace and Sanberg as a kid. Plus their colors are red white and blue. Thats an omen

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I grew up in the country (and I do mean the sticks) in south Arkanasas in the 60s. There wasn't much to do. My grandfather, who had been a farmer in Illinois before retiring to north Arkansas, was a big baseball fan, more specifically -- A CUBS FAN. He got me started being interested in baseball. When I was 10, I had a little red transistor radio which I could use to tune in KMOX after it got good and dark. This was before daylight savings time, so most nights, by the second or third inning, the signal was coming through loud and clear, and there were the voices of Harry Caray and Jack Buck. Bob Gibson was pitching, Lou Brock was playing left field, Ken Boyer was at third base. I was hooked for life as a Cardinals fan. When I would visit my grandfather during the summer, often the Cubs and Cards would play, and we would have wonderful, good-natured fun rooting against each other's team. Great, great times.
    Last edited by Tech77; 03-03-2009 at 01:25 PM.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I grew up in the country (and I do mean the sticks) in south Arkanasas in the 60s. There wasn't much to do. My grandfather, who had been a farmer in Illinois before retiring to north Arkansas, was a big baseball fan, more specifically -- A CUBS FAN. He got me started being interested in baseball. When I was 10, I had a little red transistor radio which I could use to tune in KMOX after it got good and dark. This was before daylight savings time, so most nights, by the second or third inning, the signal was coming through loud and clear, and there were the voices of Harry Caray and Jack Buck. Bob Gibson was pitching, Lou Brock was playing left field, Ken Boyer was at third base. I was hooked for life as a Cardinals fan. When I would visit my grandfather during the summer, often the Cubs and Cards would play, and we would have wonderful, good-natured fun rooting against each other's team. Great, great times.
    I can tell we are the same age. I used to do the same thing. My older brothers and I were big Cards fans. White at first, Javier at second, Maxvill at short, Flood in center, Shannon in right. My mom used to baby sit Roger Craig!
    Go Tech!

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

The last time the Cubs won the World Series, it triggered the Tuskegee Event. This year, the Cubs make it to the playoffs which was apparently close enough to trigger a near miss.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,503164,00.html

God doesn't like the Cubs.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

If anyone needs to know why someone is a CUBS fan, just watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHTScDBsDU

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post

God doesn't like the Cubs.
    I think He prefers Anaheim/LA or San Diego.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaDawg View Post
    I can tell we are the same age. I used to do the same thing. My older brothers and I were big Cards fans. White at first, Javier at second, Maxvill at short, Flood in center, Shannon in right. My mom used to baby sit Roger Craig!

Yeah, Julian Javier, Dal Maxville and Curt Flood up the middle. Maxville couldn't hit .200, but Bob Gibson said he wasn't pitching if he didn't have Maxie behind him at shortstop.
    Last edited by Tech77; 03-09-2009 at 09:23 AM.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

My wallpaper at work
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread