+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tech vs Grambling (Game 3)

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Re: Tech vs Grambling (Game 3)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    No no I understand the pre-set game plan. I also am very happy with the way that the staff as a whole performed on the weekend. It is just that, as a former pitcher I know that the staff has goals that they set for the entire staff. Filure to meet these goals results in a few extra sprints or a few extra miles depending on what goal was failed. So while overall the staff did an amazing job of working ahead of hitters and staying ahead in the count, and minimizing freebies, those 5 runs will result in running for the whole staff. Including those who didn't pitch today. That is the only point I'm making.
    That's some weird punishment. I can understand it if they gave up several walks but not for x-number of runs especially if you win the game.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

I think some mediocre 5A schools could beath them. I honetsly believe that a few of the better class C schools can beat them... ie Oak Hill or Hicks

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Walks aren't the only thing taken into effect. Things such as two out hits, two strike hits, walks, mental errors, letting a hitter make contact on an 0-2 pitch, not covering or backing up a thorw just for a few examples... there are alot of little things that are used as goals that a casual fan wouldn't even notice. Wins don't erase mistakes, it makes it a little easier to swallow, but doesn't erase them completly. Anyone who has ever coached knows this... and most athletes at one time or another have heard a coach say these words..."we won but we still have alot of things to work on."

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Sweep!

Game 1: 15-3
    Game 2: 20-1
    Game 3: 20-9

Total.... 55-13
    What happened to our O in game one? Oh, must have faced Grambling's ace.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Walks aren't the only thing taken into effect. Things such as two out hits, two strike hits, walks, mental errors, letting a hitter make contact on an 0-2 pitch, not covering or backing up a thorw just for a few examples... there are alot of little things that are used as goals that a casual fan wouldn't even notice. Wins don't erase mistakes, it makes it a little easier to swallow, but doesn't erase them completly. Anyone who has ever coached knows this... and most athletes at one time or another have heard a coach say these words..."we won but we still have alot of things to work on."
    I played baseball and football at a 5A school. I completely understand the aspects of the game. But some of this stuff is overkill if you ask me. You can give a kid too much to think about during a game and it gets to a point where he can't even throw it over the plate. I wonder if this is what our problem was last year.

Well that is the thing. Kids at this level know what is expected of them. They also know if they throw those strikes and execute what the coaches ask of them, then they won't have any problems with reaching these goals. The coaches will call the plays and put their players in a position to succeed. All the kid has to do is to execute. They shouldn't have to think about it at all. I cannot think of a situation where the coaches would ever try to make them fail a goal. So I don't think it is too much to ask, that is why they play at this high of a level.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

I think some mediocre 5A schools could beath them. I honetsly believe that a few of the better class C schools can beat them... ie Oak Hill or Hicks
    No way. That's ridiculous to even think that. Don't be fooled into thinking they are that bad. We SHOULD beat them badly. Grambling will be hard to beat in the SWAC. They are gonna score some runs.

Could they beat them in a 7 game series? NO, but I am a pretty good judge of talent and I can tell you that out of 7 games I think they could win one or two. I obviously know that the depth of a class C school is nothing compared to even the loliest college team, but I also know that they can play some extremly good baseball.

POST #100

Well that is the thing. Kids at this level know what is expected of them. They also know if they throw those strikes and execute what the coaches ask of them, then they won't have any problems with reaching these goals. The coaches will call the plays and put their players in a position to succeed. All the kid has to do is to execute. They shouldn't have to think about it at all. I cannot think of a situation where the coaches would ever try to make them fail a goal. So I don't think it is too much to ask, that is why they play at this high of a level.
    I don't know what "level" we were at last year, but whatever we're doing we sure as heck didn't produce with all those so-called studs we had. Sim's had his chance, I would imagine this is a do or die year for him.

We will have a big test on Wednesday against NSU. They usually field a pretty strong team. Not sure how they are looking this year

They are 1-2 on the season after an extra inning win vs. ULM and a loss to both Mississippi Valley State, and Stephen F. Austin.
    Last edited by BLUE collar; 02-22-2009 at 11:14 PM.

Bulldog VolDawg has turned a few heads around hereVolDawg has turned a few heads around hereVolDawg has turned a few heads around hereVolDawg has turned a few heads around hereVolDawg has turned a few heads around here

Just wanted to say a quick (or maybe not-so-quick) note about GameTracker. I notice a lot of people complaining when it's not running, if it's slow, etc., etc. I fielded several calls from various people during the course of the season last year about it, so I just wanted to explain the whole thing in detail.

GameTracker is not directly controlled by anyone in the press box at any stadium. The official scorer in every sport (football, basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, hockey, tennis) at every single NCAA school across the country is using a program called StatCrew -- an antiquated, sometimes ornery, DOS-based program -- that tracks every pitch and every play; this same program produces all the box scores and season stats that appear on the web site and in the game notes. There is a setting within the program for a live stats feed using an auxiliary program called TASFtp. This submits the live stats file approximately every 30 seconds from the scoring computer to the servers at CBS College Sports, where it is then processed and sent through to the GameTracker template on latechsports.com. That whole process takes a couple of minutes; it's not as instantaneous as we'd like it to be. And on a day when you not only have Tech baseball going on, but countless other baseball, softball and basketball games across the country (among all NCAA divisions), a large number of which are using CBS College Sports' GameTracker...it can bog down their servers somewhat. There's also another setting within the TAS/StatCrew program that also submits the same files to ESPN, which Tech used for football this year (that's how their GameCast works). Also, oftentimes TASFtp will get stuck for no apparent reason and stop submitting any live stat files. When you're watching the game and trying to manage the press box (or, as was the case early last year with no press box, just trying to keep warm and keep stuff from blowing away; also sometimes doing PA and scoreboard at the same time), sometimes you might not notice the live feed has frozen for a few plays or even an inning or two. Sometimes you even have to go in and restart the whole thing (although the game files are at least saved). If the new SID is using the same computer I had last year, which I think he is, that thing started running really, REALLY slow before I left.

That said, there is another, more complicated way to set up a slightly faster live stats feed using multiple computers, one to do the scoring and one to send the stats files every 2-3 seconds using the first computer as a server, but I have no idea how to set that up. I've seen it done one other place, but only for basketball and volleyball.

Personally, I don't like CSTV's GameTracker template. It's way too graphic-intensive, and it makes things take way too long to update sometimes. When Host/IMG was in the college web site business, they had a live stats template that didn't have all the little graphics, but displayed all the pertinent stats, ran a lot smoother and updated a lot faster than GameTracker. But there were only two schools that used it (Kentucky and Tennessee), and Host/IMG isn't running web sites anymore, so they went back to CSTV. The only good thing about GameTracker, in my opinion, is that you can keep track of other games on the CSTV network going on at the same time.

So there's more than you ever wanted to know about GameTracker. Please don't blame anyone in the sports information office if it isn't running smoothly...I know from personal experience that everyone over there is doing the very best they can with the equipment and resources they have.

I don't think anyone was blaming anything on someone in the press box other than a joke about them going to the bathroom. While we didn't know all the things you told us we all assumed it had something to do with computers. Thanks for the info though

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    I don't know what "level" we were at last year, but whatever we're doing we sure as heck didn't produce with all those so-called studs we had. Sim's had his chance, I would imagine this is a do or die year for him.
    He is the 2nd year of a 3 year contract. I agree, its time to show the W's. But I doubt regardless of what happens that he will be let go, I can't see DD putting up the money to pay him and a new head coach. I really have a good feeling about this year. I am smelling a regional appearance.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    No way. That's ridiculous to even think that. Don't be fooled into thinking they are that bad. We SHOULD beat them badly. Grambling will be hard to beat in the SWAC. They are gonna score some runs.

I'm telling you right now that Denham Springs, Central, or Catholic High in Baton Rouge could beat Grambling. I have not seen Grambling play in 2 years, but it looks like the sound no so fundamentalsl .
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    He is the 2nd year of a 3 year contract. I agree, its time to show the W's. But I doubt regardless of what happens that he will be let go, I can't see DD putting up the money to pay him and a new head coach. I really have a good feeling about this year. I am smelling a regional appearance.
    This year's schedule is definitely suited for a lot of W's...unlike last year's...

+ Reply to Thread