+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite U2 song.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Favorite U2 song.

I always thought that the song that Boner sings in The Edge's ear when they wake up together in the hotel was a sweet one.

Just picking at Boyd.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Joshua Tree = most overrated album ever. Discuss.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    In what way?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I kinda of agree -

When a band I like losses its core following and goes superstar, I kind of lose interest in them -

This was the start of my declining interest in U2....

Now I did like the rockumentary Rattle and Hum but nothing else since then has gotten me reinterested in them since....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    In what way?
    U2 is a band that Nickelback fans say they like because they think it gives them credibility. Joshua Tree just happens to be the album that is most cited, IMO, because it was so highly rated by the critics. I think the band and the album are both boring and unremarkable.
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I kinda of agree -

When a band I like losses its core following and goes superstar, I kind of lose interest in them -

This was the start of my declining interest in U2....

Now I did like the rockumentary Rattle and Hum but nothing else since then has gotten me reinterested in them since....
    That's why I would like it clarified in what way it was overrated. You can't say an album is overrated because it brought a cult band into mainstream and made them one of the most popular bands EVER because now you have to share them with the rest of the airheaded shallow thinking beanie bopper music lovers who don't really savor a song and it's nuances and don't realize that this band had multiple albums before going commercial.

In fact, it could be argued that this album is not overrated but possibly underappreciated in what it has done for the group. How many band's and band frontmen do you know who can get an audience with heads of states and other major political figures on the world stage? That's what this album has done for U2 by making them so popular. It has made them, Bono in particular, political players the likes that hasn't been seen before or since in the music world.

U2 is a band that Nickelback fans say they like because they think it gives them credibility. Joshua Tree just happens to be the album that is most cited, IMO, because it was so highly rated by the critics. I think the band and the album are both boring and unremarkable.
    That's because you think on a different plane than most people. In my opinion, U2 is one of the best bands to ever come onto the record scene because of their ability to reach the masses with the messages they do that most other bands can't. I liken it to the writings of Earnest Hemingway. He was a great author for many reasons but particularly for his ability to write in a way that even the simplest of readers could understand his message. They knew what he was trying to get them to feel, and they felt it. It's the same with U2. It's like Dwayne always says. KISS Keep it simple stupid. U2 started off as just another garage "new wave" anti-war band with moderate success borrowing from more popular bands' musical stylings. Edge even said in an interview that he borrowed from Andy Summers from The Police. Then, one day, I think they decided that if they wanted to take their message to a bigger audience, they had to tweak a little and be commercial. Along came Joshua Tree. After its success, they were free to go back to experimenting and incorporating their older style of stretching their musical limits. Because Joshua Tree was so successful and firmly entrenched the band into the mainstream of music which has in turn allowed them to keep their large following despite the different musical traits of their subsequent albums, I don't think you can consider it as overrated. Now if the songs and music style just aren't to your likeing, that's a different story but doesn't necessarily mean the album is overrated. It simply means you like a different style of music.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Now if the songs and music style just aren't to your likeing, that's a different story but doesn't necessarily mean the album is overrated. It simply means you like a different style of music.
    I think that's most of his reasoning.

I don't think it is overrated at all. Certainly not "most ever." I can listen to that cd from beginning to end. The first three songs are all classics in my mind, not because they were all singles, but because they're all truly great songs. I don't think it is boring.

Obviously, not everyone likes their style, but I don't think that makes them overrated or underrated or rated or whatever. You'd have to look at their influence regardless of whether you think it was a good thing or a bad thing that they managed to gain that level of influence. And by most objective standards it was a hugely sucessful album. In terms of critical sucess, financial, charts, etc. I'd say it deserves its high level of "ratedness."

On a different note: "X is overrated" = most overrated and imprecise criticism ever. Discuss.
    Last edited by inudesu; 03-09-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

It's a tie between "Yes, Me too" and "Spys like me".
    Go Tech!

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Well it always pisses me off when one of these threads is started and someone who is not a fan just has to get in and knock whoever it is that is being discussed. I love The Joshua Tree. I can listen to it over and over. Actung Baby is in the same league. I don't care for everything that U2 has done but they have taken risks that some bands would never take and I admire them for that. Is The Joshua Tree overrated? Is Sgt. Peppers overrated? How about " The Wall" or any other number of great albums? It does depend on your taste. I tend to like more things than most people do because I try not to get caught up in lables and not giving something a chance just because it doesn't fit the genre that I associate myself with. That said there are some bands and some songs that people on here post as great that I can listen too more than 5 secs. But hey if thats what gets you off then great, knock yourself out. But if you are pompus enough to tell me that what I like is no good then I have a pale white rump you can pucker up to. Discuss.

Comeon, Gonzo. You went to Tech. Be more Elite. :icon_wink: You can't take me too seriously on these music threads. I am very opinionated and like to pretend that what I like is on another level. Truth is, there are many things that I listen to that would have require me to give up my music snob card if I ever admitted to liking it.

Comeon, Gonzo. You went to Tech. Be more Elite. :icon_wink: You can't take me too seriously on these music threads. I am very opinionated and like to pretend that what I like is on another level. Truth is, there are many things that I listen to that would have require me to give up my music snob card if I ever admitted to liking it.
    I heard you have the Donna Summers complete collection.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

I'm definitely snobbish about some aspects of music, movies, etc. and can be very opinionated. One thing I have noticed about myself and other music snobs is that we will never allow others to pick up our iPod and scroll freely through the menus out of a deep-seated terror of what they will find.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I'm definitely snobbish about some aspects of music, movies, etc. and can be very opinionated. One thing I have noticed about myself and other music snobs is that we will never allow others to pick up our iPod and scroll freely through the menus out of a deep-seated terror of what they will find.
    True. But if such an unthinkable event did occur, I would just say my wife downloaded it.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

True. But if such an unthinkable event did occur, I would just say my wife downloaded it.
    Yep, heard that defense before. I am by no means a music snob, I dont get a chance to find half the bands you guys are talking about. However, I did find the Maroon 5 album in my brother in law's IPod, he got an earful on that...on the shame.

+ Reply to Thread