+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polk Audio HDx3

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Polk Audio HDx3

I went to Radio Shack and looked at this executive type unit, and the sound of this radio was UNBELIEVEABLE!! It is on clearance right now for $110. IT RETAILS FOR $300!!!!

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...s/recent/hdx3/

If you are looking for a new radio for the office or home, I'd recommend going to your local Radio shack (prolly not the St. Vincent mall one now) and looking, listening, and maybe purchasing this radio unit.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Re: Polk Audio HDx3

I don't know what it sounds like but it is butt ugly!

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

It sounds fantasmic.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

I think it looks awesome, nice modern design.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Polk makes pretty decent speakers. Not sure about their electronics. Wish I could see the rear of the unit - what inputs does it take?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

90.9 is a country station here... yep, they have a country station in the middle of Iraq

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    yep, they have a country station in the middle of Iraq
    No wonder they hate America.
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Polk makes pretty decent speakers. Not sure about their electronics. Wish I could see the rear of the unit - what inputs does it take?
    Can't find a picture online... and haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I'll check tonight and post either tonight or tomorrow.

It may be late since I'll be going to Ruston for the Diamond Dawg's game tonight.

OH!.... I know that it does have headphone and an Auxillery jack on the front... I just don't know about the back.

Varsity Bulldog Iceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the rough

Wink Re: Polk Audio HDx3

Pretty decent? Where did you get that info? They are usually ranked in the top 5 in audio every year. Most people don't know much about Polk because it is high end and Wal-Mart and K-Mart don't carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Pretty decent? Where did you get that info? They are usually ranked in the top 5 in audio every year. Most people don't know much about Polk because it is high end and Wal-Mart and K-Mart don't carry them.
    Pretty decent meaning good for what you can get from big box stores. You can still do much better than Polk if you are willing to drop some serious coin. There are also better options for "budget" systems (less than 1000 dollars for 2.0), IMO, including brands that are far less well-known than Polk.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Back in the 80's my brother bought a really expensive set of speakers from Polk Audio that were each about 6 1/2 feet tall. He had Carver amplifiers pushing about 400W per channel into them. They could get loud and still sound awesome.

Varsity Bulldog Iceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the roughIceman is a jewel in the rough

Eek Re: Polk Audio HDx3

Pretty decent meaning good for what you can get from big box stores. You can still do much better than Polk if you are willing to drop some serious coin. There are also better options for "budget" systems (less than 1000 dollars for 2.0), IMO, including brands that are far less well-known than Polk.

What brand are you saying is better than Polk?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    What brand are you saying is better than Polk?
    Well, in the budget class (less than $1k for 2.0), I would say: Ascends, Axioms, Paradigms, some of the AV-123 speakers, as well as some others.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

http://www.axiomaudio.com/

http://www.paradigm.com/

http://www.av123.com/

For the most discriminating audiophiles, there are hundreds of companies that make MUCH better speakers - at much higher costs.

In the end, taste is still a bit of a subjective thing (notwithstanding the fact that you can objectively compare frequency response, sensitivity, and Max SPL). Different people may prefer different voicings and what not, but there are many companies that build better speakers with higher quality components than Polk.

Personally, I don't need anything beyond budget speakers and Polks would serve my goals just fine.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Wish I could see the rear of the unit - what inputs does it take?
    Can't believe everybody left this alone.

Sorry Guiss... I never got back to you on this one. I'll snap a picture tomorrow at work. I don't remember any extra inputs though.... I just can't remember. the HD radio seems cool, but here the only stations that broadcast in HD are out of lsus and they are TALK RADIO.... ... and Orchesta (that's actually pretty cool and sounds GREAT.)

I LOVE this unit. The only complaint that I have is with the EQ. There is not any way to personalize the settings. They have all the normals (Rock, Pop, Speech, Dance, etc) but there is some stuff, that the bass would rattle the walls, and that ain't exactly office appropriate.... even for a government job!!

I have it set up for the computer speakers, and I play Pandora all day long. When we get some good videos of a fight, wreck, or a drunk that can't even stand up yet he can say 48 cuss words a minute, we jam it and the whole office gets to laugh with me.

+ Reply to Thread