+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourney time!!!!

Varsity Bulldog buchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the ears

Re: Tourney time!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussierules1985 View Post
    Notice the difference in the sentences, this is why kids need good teachers! It was a rough patch at my school! Thanks for clarifying; in English!

I looked at ESPN for the W-L of Idaho and Nevada for that purpose, but at the time they didn't have the game results for any of the saturday games. I had no idea who was actually third. Rather suprised that ESPN is that slow at getting up WBB results (besides the top 25), guess they don't value the few that actually went there for results.

WOW! (unless I am reading this wrong) that could be the first compliment I have ever had when it comes to English. I know what you mean having good teachers. HS was rough for me Engl wise.

I wasnt sure how they were going to do it. I thought they might of looked at the next spot (Idaho and Nevada combined since they tied). If they did that LaTech would of gotten the higher seed (Fresno=2-2, LaTech=3-1). Thankfully for Fresno fans Nevada swept Idaho.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Apparently the WAC does things backwards..

They determined the #3/#4 seed tiebreaker BEFORE they determined the #1/#2 seed tiebreaker.

That's why we ended up #2 instead of #1.

If you do the #1/#2 tiebreaker first, then Tech is the #1 seed....

Varsity Bulldog techboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her game

And that is why the WAC......is......well.....WACK!!!!!

Varsity Bulldog buchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

They determined the #3/#4 seed tiebreaker BEFORE they determined the #1/#2 seed tiebreaker.

Maybe... but it wasnt really a tie between Nevada and Idaho. I dont agree with how they do it now though. I think they can figure somthing else out that doesnt take Calc or somthing to figure out.

Varsity Bulldog techboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her gametechboy09 is on top of his/her game

Hey Buch....what instrument do you play?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buchananbando5 View Post
    Maybe... but it wasnt really a tie between Nevada and Idaho. I dont agree with how they do it now though. I think they can figure somthing else out that doesnt take Calc or somthing to figure out.
    It really was a tie between Nevada and Idaho. 10-6 = 10-6.

a. General Procedures

The following procedures are to be used to determine seeding for a Conference tournament or to establish the automatic qualifier to an NCAA Championship subject to any sport regulation tie-breakers.

[1] Ties for all places in the standings (between two teams or three or more teams) which can be broken based upon head-to-head competition are broken before the implementation of further tie-breaking procedures.

[2] If more than two teams are tied, the three or more tie-breaking procedures shall be implemented. If only two teams are tied, the two-team tie-breaking procedures shall be implemented.

[3] In the case of ties for more than one place, the first tie broken is that of the highest place (i.e., first place, second place, etc.) and continue downward through the standings.

[4] If the tie is for first place and cannot be broken by a head-to-head results, compare the tied teams’ winning percentage against the next highest finishing team and continue through the standings. The team with the best winning percentage against the next highest-finishing team or group of tied teams advances. If the tie is for any position other than first place, the comparison shall begin at the top of the standings.

[5] Once a tied team has been placed in a position/seed, that team shall be included in all further comparisons of other tied teams from the position/seed in which it has been placed.

b. Tie-Breaking Procedures

[1] Two-Way Tie:

The winner of the head-to-head competition is the higher seed.

[ii] If the tie is for first place, compare the tied teams’ records against the next highest finishing team and continue through the standings. The team with the best record/winning percentage against the next highest finishing team or group of tied teams advances. If the tie is for any position other than first place, the comparison shall begin at the top of the standings.

[iii] If a tie still remains, the Conference office shall conduct a draw. The drawn team shall receive the higher seed.

[iv] Men and Women’s Basketball Only. If a tie still remains, the institution with the highest RPI following the conclusion of the WAC’s regular season shall receive the higher seed (replaces iii above). The official NCAA RPI shall be used, if available. If not, CollegeRPI.com shall be used. [5/06]

According to WAC rules:
    If Nevada and Idaho split their regular season series or if Idaho won the series, Tech would have been the #1 seed. However, Nevada won the series, and the tie-breaker rules determined that Nevada should be the #3 seed before the #1 and #2 seeds were to be determined. Therefore, Tech ended up #2.

The third party comparisons are stupid. I think the rules should be amended to this:
    [1] Head-to-head
    [2] If still tied, then RPI

The 2 ties would have resulted in the same seeding, but imo, it is a more fair way to break the ties.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, now that the seeding controversy is over, it is time to concentrate on NMSU. Gotta come out of the gates strong in this one. I imagine that we will have Nevada on their home court in round 2, if we can knock out NMSU. Need rested starters ready to play for that one.

A win is a win - no matter how close, but I sure would like for our team to be fresh against Nevada (who I think will win their game). We wiped Nevada off the map at the TAC, but this is their place. No matter what, though, we have a 7 game win streak and need 3 more this week. We have beat all teams in the WAC, at least once, except for Boise. Boise would be a nice draw in that second round, though - REVENGE!

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post

How so?

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    How so?
    Because Idaho is before Nevada in the alphabet silly!

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

So they determined that Nevada won the Idaho tiebreaker then determining how to break ours. That is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    How so?
    Tech would have a 3-1 record over the 3rd place teams, and Fresno would have a 2-2 record over the 3rd place teams.

By breaking the #3/#4 tiebreaker first, Tech has a 1-1 record against the #3 seed, and Fresno has a 2-0 record against the #3 seed.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I am just ready to get this started! BRING ON NMSU! This time let's not let it even be close. We need to go into this tournament with an attitude.

I can think of no one better to play in the 1st round than the team that knocked us out last year! Talk about motivation! We need to jump out to a quick start and never let them in the game. Just watch that Spence girl (the coach's daughter). She can nail it from anywhere and did in the first half Saturday night. We tightened up in the second half and took her off her game. We, also, worked hard pounding it inside and driving inside to get their post players in foul trouble. That helped a LOT! Dowdell needs another stellar game. We need Johnson to step it up in this one - she was off in the last one, but got it done on defense. Pringle and Jones need to put on some BIG TIME defensive pressure and nail some outside shots - plus drive it in. Sidney needs to step it up a bit in this game, as well. She can take some more of those three point shots and get it inside when she doesn't have the shot. Plus, we should be outrebounding them on the offensive glass when she misses. Wysinger is getting better and better each game now. Thomas and Young need to be strong coming off the bench. And, I want to see some great ball handling and assists from Bendolf when she is in the game. Maybe we can get Shordy out there to throw em off some, as well. She did a great job Saturday. It would be nice if she would score some, as well, because that would REALLY make them think twice about concentrating on Dowdell and our inside game.

DOMINATION!

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

While I do think the play of the Techsters has improved dramatically, and Spoon's leadership has shown what this group of talented players was lacking, I also think the Techsters have something else going for them that I don't think has been mentioned yet. The Fear Factor.

Our opponents used to be afraid of playing us. With the rare exception of Tenn's and UCONN's, most teams feared playing the Techsters, and for MANY years, even THOSE TWO had to think twice before stepping on the same court.

The other teams KNEW the Techsters would bring it, every game, even with sometimes inferior talent.

What I think Spoon has done, more than anything else, is bring back the "fear factor" at least within the WAC. Give her time, and I think she'll bring it back to the top 25 as well.

Fear the Spoon. It's Techster time.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

NMSU's weakness IMO is their lack of a deep post game. Their Senior Holt only played sparingly with a torn ACL, Wampler gets in foul trouble alot, which leaves only Sanchez to contend with. If we can pound the ball early and get Wampler in foul trouble, we should have the inside game easily. NMSU looked gassed at the end of the game the other night. Also, Pringle needs to control Spence without getting ticky-tack fouls early. Pringle needs to be on the floor. We play much better with her.

If we can play another solid inside game and have 1 or 2 guards really get hot from outside, this game won't be nearly as close as Saturday's game.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    NMSU's weakness IMO is their lack of a deep post game. Their Senior Holt only played sparingly with a torn ACL, Wampler gets in foul trouble alot, which leaves only Sanchez to contend with. If we can pound the ball early and get Wampler in foul trouble, we should have the inside game easily. NMSU looked gassed at the end of the game the other night. Also, Pringle needs to control Spence without getting ticky-tack fouls early. Pringle needs to be on the floor. We play much better with her.

If we can play another solid inside game and have 1 or 2 guards really get hot from outside, this game won't be nearly as close as Saturday's game.
    I say go ahead and start Pringle and see how it goes for the first 5 minutes or so. If we can't get a decent lead and seem to have trouble with Spence, rotate our freshmen for the next 7 or 8 minutes on Spence and foul her. I'm not talking about mauling, obvious intentional type of fouls, but the kind where you grab the jersey as she runs around a screen or get your feet tangled up, etc... so that it doesn't look like you're trying to foul her, but you still get her off her rhythm. Then, put Pringle back in for the rest of the half, and open the second half with the "spare" players "disrupting" Spence for about he first 5 minutes or so. Of course, this strategy all depends on how the game is going. If the subs are making mistakes offensively, then obviously you don't want to keep them in there, but that's a strategy I would use.

+ Reply to Thread