+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tourney time!!!!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Tourney time!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    While I do think the play of the Techsters has improved dramatically, and Spoon's leadership has shown what this group of talented players was lacking, I also think the Techsters have something else going for them that I don't think has been mentioned yet. The Fear Factor.

Our opponents used to be afraid of playing us. With the rare exception of Tenn's and UCONN's, most teams feared playing the Techsters, and for MANY years, even THOSE TWO had to think twice before stepping on the same court.

The other teams KNEW the Techsters would bring it, every game, even with sometimes inferior talent.

What I think Spoon has done, more than anything else, is bring back the "fear factor" at least within the WAC. Give her time, and I think she'll bring it back to the top 25 as well.

Fear the Spoon. It's Techster time.
    I'm inclined to agree with you to a certain extent. However, I wouldn't quite call it a fear factor yet as we've had a couple of close games with Spoon. I think if we come out in this first game and win by at least 15 or more, and I'm not talking about 10 of the points coming from free throws at the end of the game, I mean total domination the whole game, then I think we will have brought back the fear factor to the WAC. Right now, I think the top teams in the WAC or at the wary stage instead of the fear stage especially Fresno since they beat us as badly as they did and Boise because they swept us. Although, I think Boise is probably more wary because, if I'm not mistaken, their two wins this year were when Long was still coach.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with you to a certain extent. However, I wouldn't quite call it a fear factor yet as we've had a couple of close games with Spoon. I think if we come out in this first game and win by at least 15 or more, and I'm not talking about 10 of the points coming from free throws at the end of the game, I mean total domination the whole game, then I think we will have brought back the fear factor to the WAC. Right now, I think the top teams in the WAC or at the wary stage instead of the fear stage especially Fresno since they beat us as badly as they did and Boise because they swept us. Although, I think Boise is probably more wary because, if I'm not mistaken, their two wins this year were when Long was still coach.
    Both Boise's wins were against Long (the second of which caused the trigger to be pulled on Long). We would wipe the floor with them the way we are playing now. Problem is that I don't think we will play them. They will, most likely, get beat by Nevada. If we beat NMSU, we probably get Nevada on their home court. They beat us by like 4 or 6 early in the year, but we CREAMED them at the TAC in a BIG win for Spoon.

I like your idea about Pringle and the subs. Shordy and Bendolf could pull that off. Pringle is an AWESOME defender, but if they call it tight, she gets in foul trouble every time.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Both Boise's wins were against Long (the second of which caused the trigger to be pulled on Long). We would wipe the floor with them the way we are playing now. Problem is that I don't think we will play them. They will, most likely, get beat by Nevada. If we beat NMSU, we probably get Nevada on their home court. They beat us by like 4 or 6 early in the year, but we CREAMED them at the TAC in a BIG win for Spoon.

I like your idea about Pringle and the subs. Shordy and Bendolf could pull that off. Pringle is an AWESOME defender, but if they call it tight, she gets in foul trouble every time.
    I wouldn't be surprised if BSU took Nevada.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got a chance to watch the NMS game from last Saturday. We looked lost on both side of the ball in the first 13 minutes of the game. NMS head coach did have a good game plan to play against us and it did work in the first 13 minutes until Spoon adjusted the way we guarded their outside shooters.
    They totally took Johnson out of the game but that gave Dowdell much more space. I said it in the other thread already, no team in the WAC can guard both Johnson and Dowdell at the same time.
    I agreed with Dirty on this one, we will have to come out and dominate this game from the beginning to make other teams to fear us. NMS didn't fear us in the last game. They came out and played us hard right away.
    Go Techsters!!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if BSU took Nevada.
    That would surprise me. I think Nevada will handle Boise, but I would MUCH rather see Boise in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    I finally got a chance to watch the NMS game from last Saturday. We looked lost on both side of the ball in the first 13 minutes of the game. NMS head coach did have a good game plan to play against us and it did work in the first 13 minutes until Spoon adjusted the way we guarded their outside shooters.
    They totally took Johnson out of the game but that gave Dowdell much more space. I said it in the other thread already, no team in the WAC can guard both Johnson and Dowdell at the same time.
    I agreed with Dirty on this one, we will have to come out and dominate this game from the beginning to make other teams to fear us. NMS didn't fear us in the last game. They came out and played us hard right away.
    Go Techsters!!!
    Spoon made some great adjustments, you are right. She made some before the half and more at half time. We were able to close the gap and take over in the second half. NMSU is tough at home. They haven't been near that tough on the road - let's hope that continues.

Went to the Reno Newspaper this morning. They have a video of 3 guys talking about the tournament. On the men's side, 2 predicted Nevada and one USU. On the Women's side, the two admitting that they had not watched many of the women's games predicted Fresno. The one that HAD watched and kept up stated that with Spoon, he predicted the Techsters.

The did give props to the Tech men of a possible run looking at their last 7 games.

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

5pm (MT?) Hawaii plays SJSU. Wish they'd have another game after that, seems like a perfect day for at least a DH. Is it on 360?

Varsity Bulldog buchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Aussierules1985 View Post
    5pm (MT?) Hawaii plays SJSU. Wish they'd have another game after that, seems like a perfect day for at least a DH. Is it on 360?

Fresno and UH play the play in game on the mens side if they have that up on 360

The WAC sched is in PT (at least thats what I saw In the brakets on the Sched)

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by buchananbando5 View Post
    Fresno and UH play the play in game on the mens side if they have that up on 360

The WAC sched is in PT (at least thats what I saw In the brakets on the Sched)
    Sweet. Hate to say it, but I forgot all about the men, thought their games were starting at different days than the women. Will be sure to check up on that, but 360 doesn't mention it on the schedule.

Varsity Bulldog buchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the earsbuchananbando5 seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by Aussierules1985 View Post
    Sweet. Hate to say it, but I forgot all about the men, thought their games were starting at different days than the women. Will be sure to check up on that, but 360 doesn't mention it on the schedule.
    The way the season has gone for our mens team I wish I can forget about it too

Thankfully this is the last year of the effects of Tark/Lopes!!!

The way the season has gone for our mens team I wish I can forget about it too

Thankfully this is the last year of the effects of Tark/Lopes!!!
    I think it is anybody's tournament on the men's side. On the women, there are some VERY clear favorites, although, anything can happen and usually does.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I think it is anybody's tournament on the men's side. On the women, there are some VERY clear favorites, although, anything can happen and usually does.

Our mens team doesnt have a real Center or a true PG. We have the talent, just not the depth. That happens when your playing with 8 or 9 scholie guys and 4 hours less practice time than everyone else (Thank you Tark/Lopes)

Anything CAN happen. Last year NMSU upset Boise coming back in the 2nd half. They ran out of gas by the time they got to the Championship game. That is the reason the WAC tourny can be so... uh... Wacky?:icon_wink:

Our mens team doesnt have a real Center or a true PG. We have the talent, just not the depth. That happens when your playing with 8 or 9 scholie guys and 4 hours less practice time than everyone else (Thank you Tark/Lopes)

Anything CAN happen. Last year NMSU upset Boise coming back in the 2nd half. They ran out of gas by the time they got to the Championship game. That is the reason the WAC tourny can be so... uh... Wacky?:icon_wink:
    Similar to us. We have an extremely talented team, but it was put together fast and they had never played together. Plus, we kicked a few off the team. We have no PG either, which has REALLY hurt us. However, our team has slowly evolved. We have won 5 out of our last 6 and beat Nevada on their home court this year - never an easy task. We are coming together at the right time and believe that we have a shot at really making some noise in the tournament. We are in a building phase, though, so anything can happen.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

In so far:

Maryland
    Ohio State
    Middle
    Vandy
    Marist
    Gonzaga
    Charlotte
    East Tenn St
    W Carolina
    UCF
    Dartmouth
    Austin Peay

If we win the WAC tourney we should be seeded between Dartmouth and Peay (if the selection committee goes by rpi's).

+ Reply to Thread