+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Game day - Semifinal vs. Nevada!!!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Game day - Semifinal vs. Nevada!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Not into sour grapes and what is done is done. But, I kept hearing malcom question lots of calls by the refs. Well, saw a photo from that game....in the Times, I think...where Whitney Jones is getting clobbered by Brandi Jones of UN, clearly an arm across Whitney's and a knee caving in Whitney's left hip, Clearly a ton of contact! The caption read: Whitney Jones had her shot blocked in OT. I don't remember, was Whitney fouled while shooting in OT? Please! someone tell me a foul was called on the UN player, Jones, on that play!
    No foul called.

I watched the whole game. Nevada was clobbering Dowdell under the goal too. LOTS of holding. Dowdell would have scored 25 points, at least, but the fouls weren't called. We started going to Bendolf to drive in and draw fouls - they called most of those.

The fouls called ON us was much worse. Dowdell ACTUALLY fouled twice in that game. She was straight up with arms up once and they called her for a foul that was just mind blowing. That was her 3rd or 4th. She was so nervous about the 5th call, that she lightened up on defense after that - which hurt us tremendously. It was a horribly called game. It always sounds like whining when you blame the refs after a loss, but they CLEARLY gave Nevada the advantage.

People can say that we should have won anyway due to some blown opportunities and there were somel; however, we WOULD have won had the game been called correctly. The fouls called that had Dowdell and Pringle in foul trouble made a huge difference in our defense.

Anyway, like you, I want to put it behind us. That game played on a neutral court would have been ours and with other refs would have been ours. However, I try not to think about it.

Time for the WNIT, hopefully. Dooley needs to name Spoon coach and let this team enter the WNIT on a high.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I have reffed, basketball and soccer, and some very important games too. I worked the middle of Caddo Magnet's state semifinal soccer game years ago, for instance. Have worked championships of tournaments, like the Highland Soccer Classic hosted by LSUS with teams from all over the nation. Those are serious soccer folks, folks! In hoops I did mostly junior high games, but did work a few high school games, especially in tournies, when they were short-handed. In either sport I always wanted to get it right. I would make a call, and hear some in the crowd moan, or get a funny look from a player, and I'd ask myself, oops, did I just miss that call? Often, during a break, I would ask the other refs what they saw on the play. I wanted to know if I blew it.

But, as Louisiana Select can attest, best intentions or not, refs miss calls, from time to time. But NEVER, do I think I altered the outcome of a game by consistently making bad calls that favored one team over the other. I made as many BAD calls against both teams to even it up by the end of the game :icon_wink:.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I have reffed, basketball and soccer, and some very important games too. I worked the middle of Caddo Magnet's state semifinal soccer game years ago, for instance. Have worked championships of tournaments, like the Highland Soccer Classic hosted by LSUS with teams from all over the nation. Those are serious soccer folks, folks! In hoops I did mostly junior high games, but did work a few high school games, especially in tournies, when they were short-handed. In either sport I always wanted to get it right. I would make a call, and hear some in the crowd moan, or get a funny look from a player, and I'd ask myself, oops, did I just miss that call? Often, during a break, I would ask the other refs what they saw on the play. I wanted to know if I blew it.

But, as Louisiana Select can attest, best intentions or not, refs miss calls, from time to time. But NEVER, do I think I altered the outcome of a game by consistently making bad calls that favored one team over the other. I made as many BAD calls against both teams to even it up by the end of the game :icon_wink:.
    In all seriousness, that is what I see refs try to do, if they missed something on the other end of the court. They will call it tight on the opposite end (tighter than they would have). That didn't happen in our game. There was one questionable call against on of the Nevada's bigs after a bad call against Tech, but other than that, it was really really bad against Tech.

That female ref that we had always calls hard against Tech. I hate it when I see her at the beginning of the game.

I hope we go to the WNIT (accept it) and get some decent refs. I really hope for a home court for the first couple of rounds too. We won't be a high seed, but the WNIT knows we will draw a crowd. I like our chances in the WNIT. Any games won will help us next year to break into the top 25.

I know I am jumping around some on topics, but with Spoon, I expect to win a lot of those OOC games, get ranked and have a MUCH better rpi going into conference play. We do NOT need to depend on the tournament to get in the NCAA's. Upsets like the one Friday happen and we need to be high enough on the chain for that not to hurt us too badly.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

It seemed like the refs from the men's semifinal have your philosophy. I thought they called a pretty good game. I really like the way they handled the botched FT for Rolle. It took a long time, but they got it right. Wish they could have called the women's game!

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

For what it's worth, T and I learned that if you compare the refs to three blind celebrities, WAC officials will come ask you not to write anything mean about the refs on the dry erase board. Then, if you write "we are not allowed to write mean things about the refs on the dry erase board" on the dry erase board, they'll remove your permission to write anything about the refs at all on the dry erase board.

I don't understand why some refs have such a small sense of humor about those sorts of things.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    For what it's worth, T and I learned that if you compare the refs to three blind celebrities, WAC officials will come ask you not to write anything mean about the refs on the dry erase board. Then, if you write "we are not allowed to write mean things about the refs on the dry erase board" on the dry erase board, they'll remove your permission to write anything about the refs at all on the dry erase board.

I don't understand why some refs have such a small sense of humor about those sorts of things.
    Ya gotta have thick skin if you're gonna ref, or ump, or judge, it's true in any competition. I did find if I spoke to the captains before a game and asked them to relay a message to their teammates, I had fewer problems, least from the players. It was this: You don't comment on my mistakes during the game, and I won't comment on yours.

I also found if I took time to speak to a coach, during a game, and address concerns he/she might have, they too seemed to calm down. In soccer, it's referred to as "managing the game." Not sure if there a formal application of that in other sports, although I used it in hoops too.

As for the fans...ignore them. I always found it funny, and we refs would laugh later, about some irate fan who is dead wrong about a call, making a total ass out of himself. Have had players comment to me during the game, you got that one right ref, that fan is just an idiot. I suppose if fans like that knew how often THEY were wrong and that both the refs and the players knew it, they'd control themselves better.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    It was a horribly called game.
    Was Larry Hernandez a ref?

+ Reply to Thread