+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Would CUSA Want Us?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Question Why Would CUSA Want Us?

I think most of us agree that CUSA is the best (realistic) fit for Tech of the current conferences available. There are a number of reasons for this, which have been thoroughly vetted elsewhere, so I don't think we need to go into them here.

But why do we think CUSA would want us? They've already voted against us once. There are other up-and-coming schools in the geographic footprint that have been showing a commitment to growth in athletics longer than we have (e.g., WKU) and some upstarts that have gobs of money to throw at it (e.g., USA) or a major metropolitan base (e.g., Georgia State). Obviously the last two are long shots, as they haven't actually fielded football teams yet, but if it is another 6-8 years before the conferences realign, who knows who we could be up against?

Also, I can see why the schools closest to us--especially Tulane, USM, and SMU might be opposed to putting yet another conference foe right in their backyards. We already are competing with them for recruits (and totally schooling Tulane for the moment, I might add).

So, please post your thoughts about why you believe CUSA would want us if an opening were to occur in the next 2-4 years. And if you have any evidence to back this up, all the better!

Also, can someone post reliable information about what schools supposedly voted for us and against us last time?

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: Why Would CUSA Want Us?

If we can provide enough value through football and mbb then they might like adding us.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

"SUPPOSEDLY" it was a 6-5 vote against us; Rice, SMU, Tulsa voting for us; Memphis, Marshall, Southern Miss voting against us; I can't remember the other 5 votes.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

I have no information about the votes but here are the current C-USA members and their distance from Ruston.

C-USA has 12 member schools with miles from Ruston as follows:
    East Carolina - 1009 miles
    UTEP - 876 miles
    Marshall - 853 miles
    Central Florida - 840 miles
    Tulsa - 415 miles
    UAB - 384 miles
    Memphis - 335 miles
    Rice - 314 miles
    Houston - 312 miles
    Tulane - 283 miles
    SMU - 259 miles
    Southern Miss - 239 miles

Our closest WAC rival is NMSU at 915 miles from Ruston. Only East Carolina in C-USA is farther away than our closest WAC rival.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

If they would take a second to really look at their conference as a whole, they'll see that they went after good MARKETS, but haven't made the conference any BETTER. Just bigger and have more people paying attention to them (debateable).

What they need is for ALL TEAMS to be solid COMPETITIVE teams and provide those fans with a good PRODUCT. I can't say yet that we are that good product, but I think that everyone here and there know that we have great POTENTIAL to help provide that conference with a GOOD PRODUCT (at least in the 4 major sports & track).

CUSA has a LOT to prove (in my mind) before they can put themselves in the ball park with the MWC and WAC in Football. Right now, I see them equal with the MAC... but greatly ahead of the Sun Belch. If we changed conferences next year, I could see us going from middle of the pack in the WAC to top 2 in CUSA immediatly and constantly.

2005 Bowl Confidence Contest Champion LaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the rough LaTechRandy's Avatar

I think right now it we only simply make sense geographically to replace a defecting conference member and we possibly have potential and one could argue that in the past we have travelled well to sporting events at C-USA sites but think about it.

(Censored so as not to give our detractors anything to say, remember everything is wonderful, everything is wonderful, everything is wonderful)
    Last edited by LaTechRandy; 03-17-2009 at 01:07 PM.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Thanks for that punch to the kidney....

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Consider MBB in C-USA vs WAC:

C-USA is slightly stronger in MBB than the WAC even if you exclude Memphis. Slight advantage C-USA.

C-USA and the WAC only got one bid to the NCAA MBB tournament. Even.

C-USA has 8 schools within a day trip drive for me. The WAC has none. This is why I would prefer C-USA over the WAC.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RXDAWG View Post
    "SUPPOSEDLY" it was a 6-5 vote against us; Rice, SMU, Tulsa voting for us; Memphis, Marshall, Southern Miss voting against us; I can't remember the other 5 votes.
    I would say the votes may look something like this if they had to vote on us today. I could be wrong, what do you think?

Yes
    Rice
    SMU
    Tulsa
    Houston
    UTEP

Maybe
    Southern Miss
    Tulane

No
    UAB
    Memphis
    Marshall
    UCF
    ECU

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaTechRandy View Post
    I think right now it we only simply make sense geographically to replace a defecting conference member and we possibly have potential and one could argue that in the past we have travelled well to sporting events at C-USA sites but think about it.
    You should have stopped there. There are plenty of our detractors out there that are more than eager to repeat the rest of your post.

2005 Bowl Confidence Contest Champion LaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the rough LaTechRandy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by killerdawg View Post
    You should have stopped there. There are plenty of our detractors out there that are more than eager to repeat the rest of your post.
    Sorry, I forgot realists get red dotted around here...now I remember why I don't post responses to controversial questions very much...

Forgive me for answering the question that was posed, let me change my answer.."I don't know why C-USA would not want us."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I think things are so much different than they were in 2005 when UTEP was voted in that we can't even make comparisons now -

As long as we KEEP moving in a upward trend - BUDGET, FACILITIES, ATTENDANCE and overall program growth we have a decent shot with Dooley and Van De Velde at the helm -

Remember folks - UCF was WILLING to committ to the SUNBELT for aal-sports if we would have committed when it was first formed as a football league and that's why they had to take ULM....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

Forgive me for answering the question that was posed,
    You need to read the question again. Your answer was to the question "Why Would CUSA NOT want us?"

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I would say the votes may look something like this if they had to vote on us today. I could be wrong, what do you think?

Yes
    Rice
    SMU
    Tulsa
    Houston
    UTEP

Maybe
    Southern Miss
    Tulane

No
    UAB
    Memphis
    Marshall
    UCF
    ECU
    Maybe...but if things go as generally expected, four of those "No" votes leave the conference during the next reorg. I think with the new committment and the showing that we made during the I-Bowl, we are putting ourselves in good shape for the next round. We still may not make it, but we are much better off than we were last time. Really need to step it up in basketball (both genders) and baseball in my opinion though.

Sorry, I forgot realists get red dotted around here...now I remember why I don't post responses to controversial questions very much...

Forgive me for answering the question that was posed, let me change my answer.."I don't know why C-USA would not want us."
    DUDE!! PUT IT BACK UP THERE!! That answer was a good realistic view of (likely) how most the CUSA schools see us.

On green from about 5 people on this board would GREATLY outweigh and red that you'd get. Don't be so scared of the dots, man.

+ Reply to Thread