+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMU

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

SMU

So, I have been looking at their line-up and some articles from the year - trying to get a feel for their team. It appears that they are really an inside game dominated team. They have 4 good options on the inside. They have put up some good numbers and it will be tough to get them in foul trouble and see any drop off. They have some guards that are good, but not near the guards we have.

The big question is going to be if they can defend Dowdell and Johnson They are a little bigger and rotate players in and out, so they can give up fouls. We are going to have to be quicker and more athletic than them. I can't tell how athletic they are in the articles. That is tough to judge until you see them.

This game may have several keys:
    How well can we defend their inside game without getting in foul trouble?
    Can we pressure them into mistakes and turnovers plus convert?
    Can we dominate their guards on defense, thus making it difficult to get it inside?
    Can we hit the outside shots we need?

If we are hot from the outside, SMU won't be able to stop us. I guarantee that. They do not have the guard strength to do that. If Pringle, Jones, and Stewart can pop the tres, we will be good to go.

If Dowdell and Johnson are more athletic and quicker than their post players, we will have success there, as well.

Those are a lot of "ifs". SMU is not the SMU we used to play. They have improved and won their conference title. They, also, knocked off NCAA bound TCU in OOC. They are no push over. However, if we play the type defense that we have been playing and our two X Factors (Bendolf and Wysinger) are on, we win this big.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Re: SMU

I am expecting a very hard fought game. They are their conference champs so I believe we will have to be very focused to beat them. Glad we are at the TAC.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by BUZDAWG View Post
    I am expecting a very hard fought game. They are their conference champs so I believe we will have to be very focused to beat them. Glad we are at the TAC.
    ---
    The best I can tell that CUSA doesn't have a team even recieving votes in the top 25.
    I didn't find there power ranking, but wondered might it might show?
    I believe it will be a good game and am looking for the Techsters and Spoon going 9-1 tonight!

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas Morning News yesterday says this is a "home game" for SMU? However, I'm still going to Ruston tonight. Maybe SMU sees us like ULM sees Little Rock.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3e61ec6.html

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    Dallas Morning News yesterday says this is a "home game" for SMU? However, I'm still going to Ruston tonight. Maybe SMU sees us like ULM sees Little Rock.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3e61ec6.html
    Yes, they were correcting that on their message board this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    ---
    The best I can tell that CUSA doesn't have a team even recieving votes in the top 25.
    I didn't find there power ranking, but wondered might it might show?
    I believe it will be a good game and am looking for the Techsters and Spoon going 9-1 tonight!
    I think SMU finished with an rpi in the 80's. We were much lower in rpi due to our WAC schedule and some of those losses we had. Anyway, I never look at the rpi as any type of predictor. It is purely retro perspective. However, it is relied on (somewhat) by the selection committee. You can be in the top 25 with a pretty low rpi, though.

This is a HUGE tournament for us. If we can really go in and do some damage, we can up our chances of breaking into the top 25 next season with some OOC wins early.

Another article:
    http://media.www.smudailycampus.com/...-3675999.shtml

SMU will try to beat the Techsters for the first time in history.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BUZDAWG View Post
    I am wondering how a conference champ didn't make it to the field of 64. How does that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I am wondering how a conference champ didn't make it to the field of 64. How does that happen?
    Same as us. We were both conference champs. They lost in the semi-finals of their tournament, though - just like us.

Only the conference tournament champion gets an automatic bid to the NCAA's.

Now, it USED to be that we didn't have to depend on the conference tournament to get in. We would get an at-large bid, if we were upset in the tournament. Hopefully, we can get back to those days. I look at this as a stepping stone to doing that. :icon_wink:

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Same as us. We were both conference champs. They lost in the semi-finals of their tournament, though - just like us.

Only the conference tournament champion gets an automatic bid to the NCAA's.
    SMU is good and will test us. They played hard against us in the WAC and are always well coached by Rompola. This will be an intense game for sure. We'll have to be ready to play GATA defense and maybe hit a few threes. Spoon will have us ready and we will play all-to-the-wall. Atmosphere should be dynamite!!! I've missed that until Spoon took the reins.

GO LADY TECHSTERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    SMU is good and will test us. They played hard against us in the WAC and are always well coached by Rompola. This will be an intense game for sure. We'll have to be ready to play GATA defense and maybe hit a few threes. Spoon will have us ready and we will play all-to-the-wall. Atmosphere should be dynamite!!! I've missed that until Spoon took the reins.

GO LADY TECHSTERS!!!
    You got that right! In fact, I think SMU is a better team that the next in line (even though the records indicate otherwise). Illinois State did not play a tough schedule. They are tough at home, though. I think they only lost 2 home games.

First up, though, SMU! Can't wait. In fact, I have been waiting all day. :icon_wink:

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I think SMU finished with an rpi in the 80's. We were much lower in rpi due to our WAC schedule and some of those losses we had. Anyway, I never look at the rpi as any type of predictor. It is purely retro perspective. However, it is relied on (somewhat) by the selection committee. You can be in the top 25 with a pretty low rpi, though.

This is a HUGE tournament for us. If we can really go in and do some damage, we can up our chances of breaking into the top 25 next season with some OOC wins early.
    Just FYI.

Current RPI's

Tech - 146
    SMU - 85
    Illinois St. - 47

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    Just FYI.

Current RPI's

Tech - 146
    SMU - 85
    Illinois St. - 47
    Someone hasn't been paying attention to Champ. :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    Just FYI.

Current RPI's

Tech - 146
    SMU - 85
    Illinois St. - 47
    When I stated lower, I meant higher. Sorry about that. I just think of higher being better in most cases and twisted that all around.

Take a look at Illinois State's schedule and you will see what I mean, though. I still believe that SMU is better than Illinois State. Of course, I think we are better than SMU. Like I stated, I don't ever look at the rpi as a prediction model. It is retro on how you did from the beginning of the season.

I bet Illinois State is angry that they didn't get in the dance, though. That is a low enough rpi to get in, usually.

+ Reply to Thread