+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convenience store

Big Dog exit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really niceexit84 is just really nice exit84's Avatar

convenience store

I have a friend that is considering buying a convenience store in a rural area.
    What pitfalls should he be on the lookout for???

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

Re: convenience store

Probably look at why the store is for sale. I hope its not the Downsville store, I heard its for sale.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Leaking gas tanks underground would be the biggest I can think of.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    +1
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by exit84 View Post
    I have a friend that is considering buying a convenience store in a rural area.
    What pitfalls should he be on the lookout for???
    The buried gas tanks as mentioned below -

The willingness and ability to sell lottery tickets -

The next line would be the ability to sell alcohol (district wet (high/low content) or dry - being able to sell package is a good way to increase your GP%

Access and egress -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    contact me for the phase 1 on it . .. (or my company anyway)

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Robbery and Assault w/ a Deadly Weapon
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Finding someone to keep them in crickets and minners.

Seriously, the leaking gas tanks is probably the biggest. There should be some inspection reports from the monitoring wells on file with the state. I would see if he could pull those and check the compliance history.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Credit card fees eating away much of your profit on gasoline sales. I believe, as the price per gallon goes up the fees increase.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

look at the things that keep the store open. Some friends of mine have 3 stores in and around Farmerville. They said if Pilgrim's Pride had folded up they would have been forced to close. The bulk of their beer, snacks, and cancer sticks were bought by those employees.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    contact me for the phase 1 on it . .. (or my company anyway)
    I remember hearing years ago that the EPA, LDA, or whoever is in charge of such things could go back on previous property owners for damages. Is this something you know about?

Interesting that the convenience store thing is being discussed. A store in WM which is mostly tobacco and liquor has pumps outside. The fact that they have gas pumps classifies them as a "convenience store" which prevents them from having a drive through. They are now weighing the cost of removing the pumps and tanks vs. profit from frozen drinks.

From a friend who owns a very successful store...biggest profit eater is theft by employees and public. They more the owners are able to work it themselves, the more they will make. Gas is not a big money maker. ATM's, ice vending, fountain drinks are good profit makers.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

CERCLA established liability for (1) the current owner, (2) the owner and operator at the time of the hazardous disposal or contamination, (3) the person who arranged for the disposal at the site, and (4) the transporter (in some circumstances). It is joint and several liability so the EPA and state can go after who they choose. If they only go after you, you can go after other potentially responsible parties to pay a share as well. (2) & (3) can sometimes be hard to prove and often they are broke. Thus (1) is the easiest to go after. Regardless, the abatement and containment costs can be very expensive and so can the legal costs.
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    CERCLA established liability for (1) the current owner, (2) the owner and operator at the time of the hazardous disposal or contamination, (3) the person who arranged for the disposal at the site, and (4) the transporter (in some circumstances). It is joint and several liability so the EPA and state can go after who they choose. If they only go after you, you can go after other potentially responsible parties to pay a share as well. (2) & (3) can sometimes be hard to prove and often they are broke. Thus (1) is the easiest to go after. Regardless, the abatement and containment costs can be very expensive and so can the legal costs.
    Thanks. I heard this years ago when a very wealthy farmer was forced to pay for a cleanup on property he had sold to a not so wealthy farmer.

Couldn't there be a binding agreement in the sales contract that would allow for easier recovery from the previous owner. A possible deal breaker if he says "I ain't signin' that!"

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Thanks. I heard this years ago when a very wealthy farmer was forced to pay for a cleanup on property he had sold to a not so wealthy farmer.

Couldn't there be a binding agreement in the sales contract that would allow for easier recovery from the previous owner. A possible deal breaker if he says "I ain't signin' that!"
    I don't see why not.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I ran a Cstore in my college years. The pitfall I would recommend looking out for is the hours your buddy is going to have to put in to be successful. A Cstore is a long "row to hoe" in that if you're not there then you better have a good friend or family member there (in business you have very few friends and family:icon_wink or your profits will walk...bottom line. Also look at the traffic count...location, location, location holds very true for Cstore.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

+ Reply to Thread