+ Reply to Thread

Thread: America South?

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

America South?

Can anybody tell me who whas in the America South Conference and when were we members. That was a little before my time and I can't find anything on the internet about it.

Bulldog CaptFun has turned a few heads around hereCaptFun has turned a few heads around hereCaptFun has turned a few heads around hereCaptFun has turned a few heads around here CaptFun's Avatar

Re: America South?

Not real sure about the dates, but it was the conference we were in when I was in school. This was a basketball centered conference that included Tech, USL, UNO, Ark State, Lamar, and I think UT Pan American and Western Kentucky.

This is the league that PJ Brown, Bear Dade, Ron Ellis, Eric Brown, and JoJo Goldsmith played against.

Edit...This league wound up merging with the Sun Belt.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

The American South Conference was formed in January 1987 and began play with the 1987-88 school year. Tech could not stay in the Southland Conference due to its move back up to Division I-A from Division I-AA. There were six charter members--Arkansas State, Lamar, Tech, UNO, Pan American, and USL. Craig Thompson was the conference commissioner.

Champ Reckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud ofReckless Abandon has much to be proud of Reckless Abandon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    The American South Conference was formed in January 1987 and began play with the 1987-88 school year. Tech could not stay in the Southland Conference due to its move back up to Division I-A from Division I-AA. There were six charter members--Arkansas State, Lamar, Tech, UNO, Pan American, and USL. Craig Thompson was the conference commissioner.
    You = Encyclopedia

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    This was a VERY good basketball and baseball conference...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

I just liked the road trips to Biloxi for the tournament!

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. I would have to agree that sounds like a great BB conference.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

Interestingly, even though it was the younger conference, the ASC was actually the stronger entity in the Sun Belt merger. The remaining Sun Belt teams were prepared to become ASC members, but the decision was made by Thompson and others that the Sun Belt "brand" was more established and recognizable on a national level. Therefore, the Sun Belt moniker was maintained. Personally, I prefered the American South name. It was disctinctive, the initials sounded and looked good together, it was a growing "brand" and it was always listed alphabetically at the top of the conference charts in the national publications.

Of course, none of that matters to us now anyway because we still would have had to leave.

Varsity Bulldog brody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her gamebrody191 is on top of his/her game

i know this is a little off topic but I think someone in a fantasy world should try to recreate the SWC. Here is my dream list of teams.

1. Tech
    2. Houston
    3. Rice
    4. Baylor
    5. SMU
    6. Tulsa
    7. UTSA - when the football team is up and going
    8. Texas State - i think could make the move to the big leagues.
    9. UTEP
    10. ULL - just to try and even out the state alignments
    11. TCU

This conference would make the most economic sense and all the teams could make a profit operating wise. Even though this alignment is half private schools, each school is strong in at least one sport. If this was an actual conference 6 of the schools would be in a 5 hour drive from Ruston.

VIVA LA SWC

its ok to dream sometime

+ Reply to Thread