+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bulldogs in Human Resources

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Bulldogs in Human Resources

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to talk to any alumni who are in the H.R. field, and preferably those in I/O Psychology.

I graduated in aviation last year, but after a short stint with the airlines I was promptly laid off after the financial crisis hit. I came back to Tech and am halfway through a master's degree in I/O Psychology.

The one thing I haven't been able to do is talk with some alumni that are in a similar field. My eventual career goal is to work in the H.R. field for an airline or similar aviation company.

I would appreciate any input on this field, especially typical entry levels, career progression, or any other tips and tricks. Feel free to PM me or just post it here. Thanks!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Bulldogs in Human Resources

I suggest you contact the alumni association. They may be able to identify a mentor for you.

Varsity Bulldog Captain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Rowdy is a splendid one to behold Captain Rowdy's Avatar

From my experience H.R. can be a tough area to break into. The best suggestion I can offer is find something entry level or somewhere you can intern ASAP. I got my I/O master's from Tech 3 years ago, and went looking for an H.R. job and kept running into the same problem of being over-qualified for the entry level stuff or under-experienced for most everything else. Past that I can't offer much help, I fell into a job as an oil & gas landman and haven't thought twice about HR ever since.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Mrs. Choudawg is in HR here in ruston . . .

I think Rowdy is right, i think its tough to get a start in and must be willing to start at the VERY bottom. Experience is everything in this field and its gonna take a while to build it up.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Mrs. JAB was the HR Director at AFS Logistics last year. She hated laying people off, it was depressing to do with no good reason than the bottom dollar. Then one day lasy summer she was told which employees were being laid off again. So she sadly did her job. At the end of the day she was told that SHE and the rest of the HR department would be the last to be laid off. Talk about a shiaty day at the office!

Currently she is working part time as the assistant HR manager at another local company while she is back in school getting her counseling certification. I think when the next "boom" hits the HR filed will be a great place to be. But until then no one is hiring so HR is looked at as only an expense.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the responses, so far.

I had no idea it was a question of over-qualification! That's scary. I've had a little trouble finding jobs in Ruston or surrounding areas to get into H.R., but I would love to find something. I bugged the folks at a temp agency for any job for months before I finally gave up.

I'll start hitting the pavement a bit more on the entry level jobs, but I guess the qualifications have kinda scared me off since I technically don't have a degree in a related field (yet).

Bump. Once again, thanks to everyone who helped out.

I'm currently looking for an HR Internship anywhere from Monroe to Shreveport. I would appreciate any help, as all I've run into so far is hiring freezes. Unpaid internships are fine, as well.

Thanks!

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gcc005 View Post
    Bump. Once again, thanks to everyone who helped out.

I'm currently looking for an HR Internship anywhere from Monroe to Shreveport. I would appreciate any help, as all I've run into so far is hiring freezes. Unpaid internships are fine, as well.

Thanks!
    might keep an eye on whats happening at the guide plant. with 1500 employees, they're sure to need mulitple HR assitants.

+ Reply to Thread