+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ooma

Hybrid View

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

ooma

Anybody have any experience with this? Is it REALLY "landline quality"?

www.ooma.com

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Re: ooma

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with this? Is it REALLY "landline quality"?

www.ooma.com
    It's intriguing, at least. But I'm not a big fan of the peer-to-peer concept for phone service. Or the really expensive box...

See this article from a few years ago for how it works: http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004946.html

I don't have any particular experience with this provider, but VoIP as a whole -- when set up and equipped properly -- has quality at least equivalent to landlines.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

One other thing, for reports on phone/internet etc. providers, I usually check out dslreports.com: http://www.dslreports.com/comments/3322.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcrazy View Post
    It's intriguing, at least. But I'm not a big fan of the peer-to-peer concept for phone service. Or the really expensive box...

See this article from a few years ago for how it works: http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004946.html

I don't have any particular experience with this provider, but VoIP as a whole -- when set up and equipped properly -- has quality at least equivalent to landlines.
    Dropping the price to $250 (retail) for the box has me intrigued. I have been shy about VOIP, and with my wife's work it has not been an option. The P2P thing supposedly has more security risks (though I don't fully understand why), which would be a deal-breaker for her work. If she decides to find something else to do, though, it might be a good solution for us. We seldom use our home phone for personal calls, but I'm not ready to do without, either.

I read 2-year-old article about ooma that made it sound like if you used their landline option (which would put you on the P2P network) your local calls would actually be handled through the traditional phone carrier. For one thing, this makes it possible to have "regular" 911 service instead of E911. Not sure whether it means you could still make local calls if either your internet connection or ooma's network were down.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

I use VOIP here a lot when making calls here and to home... Great quality.

+ Reply to Thread