+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Susan Boyle on Britian's Got Talent

Big Dog MajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the rough MajorDad's Avatar

Re: Susan Boyle on Britian's Got Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I guess it is a lot like winning the lottery. Simon says, "Susan is rich."
    Amen!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

This guy sums it up for me:

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/we-love-te...an-boyl-1.html

Now I'm really off to the movie.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Andrew Lloyd Webber compositions are my favorite kind of music too but, IMO, Phantom > Les Miserables . And don't forget Cats, Evita, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Jesus Christ Superstar, and on and on. Most of the great musicals of the last 20 or so years have been written by Andrew Lloyd Webber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    For the record, Webber had nothing to do with Les Miz. It was written by a couple of French guys (based, of course, on Victor Hugo's classic novel). Their other well-known work is Miss Saigon. In another life I wanted a career in musical theater, and my dream role was Marius (mainly because I am too small to play Valjean).

As for Ms. Boyle, part of it is definitely her looks, but there are other factors, like age, station in life, etc. I mean, if she were a frumpy old music teacher it might not be that surprising.

As for the hype, she definitely nailed that song, and like Champ said, it will be interesting to see how she does on other songs. In terms of pure technique, what Paul Potts demonstrated with Nessun Dorma is more advanced than what she demonstrated with the Les Miz piece, but his song is also more technically difficult.
    Who said Le Mis was written by Webber?
    Ho-do seemed to imply it, and you didn't contradict it, so I felt I had to. I, personally, am uncomfortable lumping Schonberg/Boublil as being the same genre as ALW anyway, which made it all the more necessary for me to interject. Imagine if someone had lumped Britney and Shakira together in the same category. Wouldn't you feel compelled to interject? :icon_wink:
    It's rare that I feel totally beaten, but you just toasted me. Britney and Shakira should never be included in the same sentence!

However, I went back and read the posts. I certainly took it to mean that he was arguing that he liked all of the Webber mucicals more than he liked Les Mis, as crazy as that sounds.
    Oops, I forgot who wrote Les Miserables. I did mean to credit it to Andrew Lloyd Webber. Sorry about that.

I have been on the road the last few days visiting my grandchild in Indiana and I don't get much time to post.

Les Miserables is my second favorite behind Phantom of the Opera even though it is not Webber's.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

96, I guess you are right. I read it too fast, as I am prone to do. I love Les Mis so much, I just assumed everybody else did too, so I just missed his mistake.

By the way, I have a copy of the concept album, which is in ugly French. I listened to it a lot right after I got it, but it grew old, and I haven't listened to it in years. Still, it is fun having it.

Major, again, I was messing with you. I'm so glad this lady has exposed this wonderful song to so many people. I, too, hope she makes a ton of money and finds a handsome, young cabana boy to serve her and to provide for each and every one of her needs.

I'm going to be now. I think I'll go to sleep to Le Mis. In the immortal words of Enjolras, "Marius, rest."

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

96, I guess you are right. I read it too fast, as I am prone to do. I love Les Mis so much, I just assumed everybody else did too, so I just missed his mistake.

By the way, I have a copy of the concept album, which is in ugly French. I listened to it a lot right after I got it, but it grew old, and I haven't listened to it in years. Still, it is fun having it.

Major, again, I was messing with you. I'm so glad this lady has exposed this wonderful song to so many people. I, too, hope she makes a ton of money and finds a handsome, young cabana boy to serve her and to provide for each and every one of her needs.

I'm going to be now. I think I'll go to sleep to Le Mis. In the immortal words of Enjolras, "Marius, rest."
    I came real close to busting out one of my Les Miz CDs (my favorite is the symphonic edition with Gary Morris) after I found this thread, but suppertime got in the way. Maybe tomorrow. I used to take a boombox into the laundry room in my parent's house and sing the whole thing along with the CD. Haven't sung the whole thing in a while, though.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I am not a big theater fan, but I have a soft spot for Les Mis. My son was in a production of it last summer and I really came to love it. I had never seen it before the shows or even knew that much about it. The said son wants a theater career too. He is very good at it, but I think he has more of a chance as a musician. He is a very good guitarist and vocalist. In other words, he got all of the talent that I don't have...

One note on Ms. Boyle. I am not a fan of American Idol, in fact I consider it rather annoying. Simon is the best thing about it in my opinion. But the rest of my family seems to have gotten into it this season so I am somewhat aware of what is going on. All I can say is that Susan is much better than anyone I have heard on AI this year or in years past. I realize that AI is set up to "look" for a different kind of talent, but Susan just put them all to shame in terms of vocal ability. My wife showed me the clip last night and all I can say is WOW!!

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Majordad - I am with you, I thought she was great and I am looking forward to hearing what she will sing next.

Big Dog MajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the roughMajorDad is a jewel in the rough MajorDad's Avatar

Now this one is really weird....If (IF) this is authentic, it's amazing this woman was never given a chance.

http://www.susan-boyle.com/messages/...lease-revealed

This is Susan singing "Cry Me a River" 10 years ago. Incredible! I feel "dirty" for listenin to it cuz I imagine some really hot woman singing it . Uh, I just try not to picture her singing it That's too bad...

Do ya'll remember the movie "Revenge of the Nerds" and the part where the nerd dressed up like Darth Vader and shagged the head cheerleader rotten? When she found out it was a nerd, she wasn't mad....she asked, "Are all nerds as good as you?" He said, "Yes, cuz all jocks think about is sports. All we think about is sex." Probably not a lot different than Susan...her voice tells that tell....

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

For the record, Webber had nothing to do with Les Miz. It was written by a couple of French guys (based, of course, on Victor Hugo's classic novel). Their other well-known work is Miss Saigon. In another life I wanted a career in musical theater, and my dream role was Marius (mainly because I am too small to play Valjean).

As for Ms. Boyle, part of it is definitely her looks, but there are other factors, like age, station in life, etc. I mean, if she were a frumpy old music teacher it might not be that surprising.

As for the hype, she definitely nailed that song, and like Champ said, it will be interesting to see how she does on other songs. In terms of pure technique, what Paul Potts demonstrated with Nessun Dorma is more advanced than what she demonstrated with the Les Miz piece, but his song is also more technically difficult.
    I agree, I especially agree on the lot in life part. I feel like many people in the audience probably already knew her story, not to mention her looks and age. They probably felt like she was singing her life's song, which made it much more powerful. It has been quite a sensation, though, and everyone wants this woman to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    They probably felt like she was singing her life's song, which made it much more powerful.
    ??????????

I don't think so:

He slept a summer by my side
    He filled my days with endless wonder
    He took my childhood in his stride
    But he was gone when autumn came

Nobody slept with her. This should be her life's song:

I learned the truth at seventeen
    That love was meant for beauty queens
    And high school girls with clear skinned smiles
    Who married young and then retired
    The valentines I never knew
    The Friday night charades of youth
    Were spent on one more beautiful
    At seventeen I learned the truth...

She should be able to sing that with conviction.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

??????????

I don't think so:

He slept a summer by my side
    He filled my days with endless wonder
    He took my childhood in his stride
    But he was gone when autumn came

Nobody slept with her. This should be her life's song:

I learned the truth at seventeen
    That love was meant for beauty queens
    And high school girls with clear skinned smiles
    Who married young and then retired
    The valentines I never knew
    The Friday night charades of youth
    Were spent on one more beautiful
    At seventeen I learned the truth...

She should be able to sing that with conviction.
    It's a sad song, not to mention, she has said that she lied about not being kissed. It was a lie. Sooner, are you the one that broke her heart?

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    It's a sad song, not to mention, she has said that she lied about not being kissed. It was a lie. Sooner, are you the one that broke her heart?
    I've never been that drunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZZpsSOwxcw

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorDad View Post
    Now this one is really weird....If (IF) this is authentic, it's amazing this woman was never given a chance.

http://www.susan-boyle.com/messages/...lease-revealed

This is Susan singing "Cry Me a River" 10 years ago. Incredible! I feel "dirty" for listenin to it cuz I imagine some really hot woman singing it . Uh, I just try not to picture her singing it That's too bad...

Do ya'll remember the movie "Revenge of the Nerds" and the part where the nerd dressed up like Darth Vader and shagged the head cheerleader rotten? When she found out it was a nerd, she wasn't mad....she asked, "Are all nerds as good as you?" He said, "Yes, cuz all jocks think about is sports. All we think about is sex." Probably not a lot different than Susan...her voice tells that tell....
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm no musical expert, and I don't know how much a person's voice changes over 10 years, but this singer doesn't sound like Boyle to me.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm no musical expert, and I don't know how much a person's voice changes over 10 years, but this singer doesn't sound like Boyle to me.
    I am with you. That doesn't sound like her voice.

+ Reply to Thread