+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe McNeely Dies

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Varsity Bulldog tbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nice

Re: Joe McNeely Dies

thats a big loss. how did joe get paralyzed?

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

I believe he was thrown from a horse.

Big Dog Longdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to all

Friends of Joe might be interested in viewing photos at http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?L=dgn...ID=1619026&G=Y
    "Former LA Tech Football Players, family and friends got together at Joe McNeely's ranch near Hempstead, TX to renew old friendships and start new friendships."

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Wow, he was born on the exact same day as my dad.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

For those of you too young to know, Joe McNeely was the heart and soul of Louisiana Tech's back-to-back national championships, and their 44-4 won-loss record in the early 1970's. Not blessed with great size (I think Joe was only 5-10), Joe became a hitting machine and an All-American LB.

As a football player, Joe McNeely was mean, Mean, MEAN! And I say that in admiration of his many football talents, not to disparage his memory.

I've stated many times on this board that what Louisiana Tech really needs today is a big dose of that swagger and meanness that Joe McNeely, Fred Dean, et al....brought to gameday at Joe Aillet Stadium in the early 1970's. Opposing teams FEARED these guys. Fact is, if we had more players with attitudes like Joe's and Fred's, there wouldn't be a 7-game losing streak to a bunch of pretty boys from Boise State. The likes of Joe and Fred would eat'em alive.

Godspeed, Joe.

HD

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

For those of you too young to know, Joe McNeely was the heart and soul of Louisiana Tech's back-to-back national championships, and their 44-4 won-loss record in the early 1970's. Not blessed with great size (I think Joe was only 5-10), Joe became a hitting machine and an All-American LB.

As a football player, Joe McNeely was mean, Mean, MEAN! And I say that in admiration of his many football talents, not to disparage his memory.

I've stated many times on this board that what Louisiana Tech really needs today is a big dose of that swagger and meanness that Joe McNeely, Fred Dean, et al....brought to gameday at Joe Aillet Stadium in the early 1970's. Opposing teams FEARED these guys. Fact is, if we had more players with attitudes like Joe's and Fred's, there wouldn't be a 7-game losing streak to a bunch of pretty boys from Boise State. The likes of Joe and Fred would eat'em alive.

Godspeed, Joe.

You get a strong amen from me on on your compete post .

Varsity Bulldog dawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her gamedawgomatic is on top of his/her game

Those were the days my friend. I remember them well!

Quote Originally Posted by tech70 View Post

Godspeed, Joe.

You get a strong amen from me on on your compete post .

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

As an old fart, I can now see the blessing I that fell into my lap. I moved to Baton Rouge b/4 by senior year in high shcool from southern California, picked Tech, sight unseen and spent four great years at Tech...1971-1975.

Good speed Joe.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

Besides being a fireplug, Joe was quick as a cat. He would jump into a center guard gap when it was too late to audible and beat the ball carrier to the handoff. He always seemed to have his shirtail out and really could hit. Between him and Dean, the opposing O's always went home sore.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDAG View Post
    Besides being a fireplug, Joe was quick as a cat. He would jump into a center guard gap when it was too late to audible and beat the ball carrier to the handoff. He always seemed to have his shirtail out and really could hit. Between him and Dean, the opposing O's always went home sore.
    I was too young to really appreciate how good Joe was, but I do remember his jersey was always hanging out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have a huge brawl with McNeese one night and Joe basically whipped every Cowboy in sight.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

Godspeed, Joe.

HD

I remember a story about Joe and Boise State. During the festivities which led up to the 1973 Pioneer Bowl (national championship semi-finals in Wichita Falls) the two teams were fed, sitting across from each other on long tables. Joe was sitting across from the biggest player Boise State had. Naturally, Joe started a fight with the guy during the meal.

Tech won that game, 38-34, on a touchdown pass from Denny Duron to Roger Carr with 12 seconds remaining in the game. Tech won the national championship the next week, shutting out Western Kentucky 34-0. As a member of the BOP, I was privileged to be able to attend both of those games.

Despite being small in size, McNeely was named to the All-America team in 1973.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Big Dog Longdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to allLongdog is a name known to all

Read a repeat of Scott Beder's excellent July, 2000, article about Joe's accident and his life in today's (4-21) News-Star, "NEWS-STAR THROWBACKS: McNeely was Tech's toughest son of a gun" at http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...TES02/90420018

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I remember a story about Joe and Boise State. During the festivities which led up to the 1973 Pioneer Bowl (national championship semi-finals in Wichita Falls) the two teams were fed, sitting across from each other on long tables. Joe was sitting across from the biggest player Boise State had. Naturally, Joe started a fight with the guy during the meal.

Tech won that game, 38-34, on a touchdown pass from Denny Duron to Roger Carr with 12 seconds remaining in the game. Tech won the national championship the next week, shutting out Western Kentucky 34-0. As a member of the BOP, I was privileged to be able to attend both of those games.

Despite being small in size, McNeely was named to the All-America team in 1973.
    An interesting sideline to the playoffs leading to the national championship game--while we were just eaking out a victory over Boise State in Wichita Falls, Western Kentucky, our opponent on the final game, was doing the same in Baton Rouge over GRAMBLING.

Had Grambling beaten Western Kentucky, we would have played the Tigers in the National Championship Game in Sacramento, CA. The score would have been similar or worse as the Western Kentucky score.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14 View Post
    An interesting sideline to the playoffs leading to the national championship game--while we were just eaking out a victory over Boise State in Wichita Falls, Western Kentucky, our opponent on the final game, was doing the same in Baton Rouge over GRAMBLING.

Had Grambling beaten Western Kentucky, we would have played the Tigers in the National Championship Game in Sacramento, CA. The score would have been similar or worse as the Western Kentucky score.

I remember that. Everyone was talking about how two schools three miles apart might finally play each other, two thousand miles from home.
    Good old Memorial Gym

+ Reply to Thread