+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe McNeely Dies

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Re: Joe McNeely Dies

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14 View Post
    An interesting sideline to the playoffs leading to the national championship game--while we were just eaking out a victory over Boise State in Wichita Falls, Western Kentucky, our opponent on the final game, was doing the same in Baton Rouge over GRAMBLING.

Had Grambling beaten Western Kentucky, we would have played the Tigers in the National Championship Game in Sacramento, CA. The score would have been similar or worse as the Western Kentucky score.
    And I believe that Grambling was playing in the eastern bracket and TECH was playing in the western bracket. The news articles were talking about the giant oak trees in north central La. shaking when Fred Dean and Big Hands Johnson would hit.

I went to both Bossier High and TECH with Joe. He was always intense and I thank Joe for never going after me as I probably would not have survived it. My brother helped Joe out in a fight one time under the Shreve City bridge. Joe was taking on five guys alone. Joe probably didn't need the help.

I am sad to hear that Joe has passed. Even though I didn't play football at either Bossier or TECH, Joe remembered who I was when we met occasionally. I don't think that I knew anyone who was a truer BULLDOG than Joe. I hope that Joe found his peace and is once again playing the game he loved.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I think threads like this are the most important service that this message board provides. Although I am thoroughly obsessed with Tech athletics, I would likely never know who folks like Joe McNeely were if not for this board. Sure, I'd have seen his name on the list of Tech's former All-Americans, but that's hardly the same thing as what I can learn about him at a place like this.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog View Post
    Read a repeat of Scott Beder's excellent July, 2000, article about Joe's accident and his life in today's (4-21) News-Star, "NEWS-STAR THROWBACKS: McNeely was Tech's toughest son of a gun" at http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...TES02/90420018

The line at the end is classic. Does anybody know if Joe ever walked again? It said in the article that they were hopeful back then.+

PS nevermind, it implies in his obituary that he did not.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

At the aTm game a couple of years ago, I saw a guy in a wheel chair down on the field before the game. Knowing Joe had ties to aTm as well as TECH, I was guessing that it was Joe. I should have figured a way to get down there and say hi without getting myself thrown in jail as it was probably the last time I probably could have. It was always a bitter irony to me that someone that was so physical should end up in a wheel chair. I bet that even though his body was broken, his spirit was still strong!
    WWDog
    La Tech

Puppy vkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nice

Hello....
    I've read these threads about Joe McNeely and they all really interested me and Joey. My name is Veronica Karam and I am the mother of Joey McNeely- Joe's only son. He is 10 years old, in the 4th grade and will run through a brick wall! He is totally fearless and his life is football. Long story I would love to tell you about. Joey and I were looking on this website because he is totally into his father and had a very close relationship with him inspite of the fact that Denny Duron purposely failed to mention Joey in Joe's eulogy. He was with his dad just 2 days before he passed away. He has been very sad this past year and LOVES hearing about how tough his dad was. He loves reading stories about him and enjoyed meeting the football players (at Joe'sw funeral) who Joe played ball with at Tech. Please e mail me at vkaram@centurytel.net if you get this. I would love for people who knew his dad to tell him about his days at LA Tech! Once again, Joey saw Joe at least 4 - 5 times a year and spoke to him on the phone twice a week. The two of them are clones of each other and Joey looks and is built just like his dad. GOD HELP ME!! LOL!!! Thanks so much for your time. Maybe I can tell you about Joe's life during the last 13 years -that's when I was associated with him.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Welcome to the board. Btw, I think we need to go ahead and offer Joey a scholorship. :icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

I remember meeting Mr. McNeely in the locker room post game at JAS about 10 years ago after a football game...
    God Bless you and your family in this time of pain and mourning!

You might also see if there is a Bossier High School web page as Joe graduated from BHS in 1970. One of the posts has a link to several pictures. One of the pictures has Coach Underwood in it from Bossier High School. From what I understand, Coach Underwood practically raised Joe. Coach Underwood was feared almost as much as Joe.
    WWDog
    La Tech

Varsity Bulldog Coachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really nice

VKARAM--You might call Coach Pat Collins at Longview ISD, in Longview, Tx. Pat was Joe's coach at Tech and knows all you want to know about him.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Veronica,
    Please come back from time to time to tell us how Joey is doing. Many of us fall in between father and son, and would like to hear about legacies like Joey. (Right Coach Mick? He knows how we really do like hearing about kids and grand kids playing ball!)

Puppy vkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nicevkaram is just really nice

So sorry I haven't checked this site in over a year! Actually Joey was looking on it trying to find stories about Joe!! I thank y'all so very much for replying to my request......I would LOVE for Joey to get a scholarship to Tech.....thanks Tech 88! LOL!! Joey went to their Football Camp last summer and LOVED it! He found his dad on the Hall of Fame Wall and stood there for a long time staring at him.....it's like looking in a mirror! I didn't know Joe back in the day but I do know that Joey has a very short fuse and lives for football so he can hit somebody!! His coaches have to keep his birth certificate at the top of their binder to prove that he's of age....He's 11 years old, in 5th grade, stands 5'6" tall, weighs a solid 185 lbs, wears a size 12.5 shoe, XL shirt and 36 waist pants. He's a man child and his Jr. High Coaches are trying to bump him up to play Middle School Football but can't because the rules say you have to be in 7th & 8th grade. I wish I could post a picture of him so you all could see. I have a FaceBook and some of his Football pictures from LA Tech are on there. If any of you have FB and would like to see him, request me as a friend.....Veronica Karam.....Would really love to keep you all posted on Joey. He's a total handful! I have 2 other children...a son who is 14 and a daughter who is 17. Bragging moment on my daughter.....she plays Softball for Kinder High and we just lost to the famous recruiting Evangel High School (wish Joe could have seen that game!!!) in the State Championship for Class 2A.....She has been starting shortstop since her Freshman year. She was 1st Team All District as a Freshman and also this year, her Junior year. She also won MVP of our District and will possibly make All-State! She's also Cheer Captain, plays basketball, runs track and has been a dancer for 15 years. My 14 year old and Joey both play football, basketball and baseball.....Sports RULES my life!!! Thanks y'all!! Please stay in touch with me and thanks for the posts!!!

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Young Joey McNeely was at Louisiana Tech this weekend for Junior Day. He currently has offers from ULM and McNeese. McNeely visits LSU next weekend and Colorado St the following for their Junior Day.

I was hoping to read about Joey's LA Tech offer today on Twitter, but there has been nothing from him about how his Tech visit went. The kid is 6-3 300 and can PLAY SOME DT!!!! http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4198544/...24d826f893c52b

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Young Joey McNeely was at Louisiana Tech this weekend for Junior Day. He currently has offers from ULM and McNeese. McNeely visits LSU next weekend and Colorado St the following for their Junior Day.

I was hoping to read about Joey's LA Tech offer today on Twitter, but there has been nothing from him about how his Tech visit went. The kid is 6-3 300 and can PLAY SOME DT!!!! http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4198544/...24d826f893c52b
    Great story, let's sign this kid up. Love the legacy aspect. Never saw Joe Sr. play, but meet him at a Tech game in 1993 during a reunion weekend of the 1973 team. The only reason I remember him is he such a character thay day. He had to be in his 40's by then, but I swear he would have suited up and played in the game. When I saw some of his sons gestures in this video I could imagine his old man doing the same thing during his playing days.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I agree, Tom. For all the great, NFL talent Tech had in the early 70's, Joe McNeely was the player who provided the FIRE on defense. I hope we sign Joey McNeely.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post

How in the world did Joey make it to 6'3"?? His dad was only 5'10".

+ Reply to Thread