+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 161

Thread: LSU why the hate?

  1. #1
    Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,782

    LSU why the hate?

    This is a continuation of a short coversation in which I asked why people hate LSU with such passion, it was started on a thread called Tiger Pipeline, LLC in the Rockett Board forum.

    Ken, a few questions I have for you about you response.....

    1) I understand that LSU alums flood the government here in this state, and while I don't know the specifics on the ULS and LSU systems I can understand why the LSU Board wouldn't want a non-LSU member to join. I wouldn't want a non-Tech person on the Tech board just because they don't have the inside knowledge of the University. Guess that doesn't upset me because I don't know specifics.

    2) The casual sports fan thing is not LSU's fault... they market better than us (probably goes back to the LSU people in the state capitol), but why blame the LSU marketing department for doing their jobs? Would you feel the same way if it was Tech with all the casual fans?

    3) The recruits- like I said, and I dare someone to disagree, we are not in the same class as the LSUs when it comes to recruting, budgets, conference affiliation, and national spotlight. I can't hate them for being good at what they do.

    4) While we do play them in sports, it hasn't been competitive in many years, and like I said I cheer for TECH above all else.... I wear red and blue at Tiger Stadium when it is LSU vs. TECH. I cheer for them when they play anyone else because it is good for our state to have a positive light shone on it. Also, you never see a Bama fan cheering for Auburn or vice versa... because they are in the same conference and are one of the biggest rivalries in the nation... that is a huge ifference in their situation and ours.

    5) The only things you really said that point to a deserved hatred is about their fanbase acting like jackasses, and Tech alum that support LSU as if they had gone there, and forget about TECH. I am a Tech grad who's support system goes TECH, LSU, Any other in state team, a WAC team, then a team from the South.

    I know I'll get red dots for this, but I waas hoping to get some more feedback as to why the hatred is there.

  2. #2
    Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    12,764

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    This is a continuation of a short coversation in which I asked why people hate LSU with such passion, it was started on a thread called Tiger Pipeline, LLC in the Rockett Board forum.

    Ken, a few questions I have for you about you response.....

    1) I understand that LSU alums flood the government here in this state, and while I don't know the specifics on the ULS and LSU systems I can understand why the LSU Board wouldn't want a non-LSU member to join. I wouldn't want a non-Tech person on the Tech board just because they don't have the inside knowledge of the University. Guess that doesn't upset me because I don't know specifics.

    Yep, they are perfectly fine with LSU reps on the ULS board but will not put up with any outsiders on their own board.

    2) The casual sports fan thing is not LSU's fault... they market better than us (probably goes back to the LSU people in the state capitol), but why blame the LSU marketing department for doing their jobs? Would you feel the same way if it was Tech with all the casual fans?

    Nope - and I'm not saying it's right - but it just *is*. It causes dislike when you're put in that position.

    3) The recruits- like I said, and I dare someone to disagree, we are not in the same class as the LSUs when it comes to recruting, budgets, conference affiliation, and national spotlight. I can't hate them for being good at what they do.

    But it breeds dislike being subservient to them. There's no doubt we'd be better off had Les Miles not handpicked some dudes that Dooley was hot on the trail of.

    4) While we do play them in sports, it hasn't been competitive in many years, and like I said I cheer for TECH above all else.... I wear red and blue at Tiger Stadium when it is LSU vs. TECH. I cheer for them when they play anyone else because it is good for our state to have a positive light shone on it. Also, you never see a Bama fan cheering for Auburn or vice versa... because they are in the same conference and are one of the biggest rivalries in the nation... that is a huge ifference in their situation and ours.

    Not really - I don't like getting whupped by them. We play them and that makes them the opponent and the enemy.

    5) The only things you really said that point to a deserved hatred is about their fanbase acting like jackasses, and Tech alum that support LSU as if they had gone there, and forget about TECH. I am a Tech grad who's support system goes TECH, LSU, Any other in state team, a WAC team, then a team from the South.

    I know I'll get red dots for this, but I waas hoping to get some more feedback as to why the hatred is there.
    I'm not going to red dot you. A lot of people feel the way you do. LSU is the bandwagon school and has taken over the "state brand" of football.

    Their success limits us, though. From the position we are in - it will be nigh impossible to be competitive with them. If we give them our dollars, we are making the situation worse.

    It bothers me the most when Tech affiliated people openly choose LSU over their own school. If you root for Tech, good for you.

    If all Tech grads supported Tech first and LSU second, we'd have all the money and attendance we'd ever need.

    I don't have anything against LSU alums though. I support any person that takes pride in their school. However, LSU has taken over the state and I don't like it. It limits our opportunity.

  3. #3
    Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    This is a continuation of a short coversation in which I asked why people hate LSU with such passion, it was started on a thread called Tiger Pipeline, LLC in the Rockett Board forum.

    Ken, a few questions I have for you about you response.....

    1) I understand that LSU alums flood the government here in this state, and while I don't know the specifics on the ULS and LSU systems I can understand why the LSU Board wouldn't want a non-LSU member to join. I wouldn't want a non-Tech person on the Tech board just because they don't have the inside knowledge of the University. Guess that doesn't upset me because I don't know specifics.

    2) The casual sports fan thing is not LSU's fault... they market better than us (probably goes back to the LSU people in the state capitol), but why blame the LSU marketing department for doing their jobs? Would you feel the same way if it was Tech with all the casual fans?

    3) The recruits- like I said, and I dare someone to disagree, we are not in the same class as the LSUs when it comes to recruting, budgets, conference affiliation, and national spotlight. I can't hate them for being good at what they do.

    4) While we do play them in sports, it hasn't been competitive in many years, and like I said I cheer for TECH above all else.... I wear red and blue at Tiger Stadium when it is LSU vs. TECH. I cheer for them when they play anyone else because it is good for our state to have a positive light shone on it. Also, you never see a Bama fan cheering for Auburn or vice versa... because they are in the same conference and are one of the biggest rivalries in the nation... that is a huge ifference in their situation and ours.

    5) The only things you really said that point to a deserved hatred is about their fanbase acting like jackasses, and Tech alum that support LSU as if they had gone there, and forget about TECH. I am a Tech grad who's support system goes TECH, LSU, Any other in state team, a WAC team, then a team from the South.

    I know I'll get red dots for this, but I waas hoping to get some more feedback as to why the hatred is there.
    Ken's comments are good, but I'll add my own anyway.

    1. Ken already pointed out this unabashed hypocrisy on the part of lsu supporters.

    2. It's not the casual sports fan that bothers me. I grew up in Florida and Georgia, and really had never heard much of anything about lsu (they sucked when I was growing up). But then I come to Louisiana Tech for school (turning down a full ride to UGA) and see all this lsu crap on campus. And when I came back for grad school in 2005 it was 10x worse (thanks, no doubt, to the 2003 shared national title). Not only that, I hear TECH STUDENTS telling other TECH STUDENTS why they "should" support lsu. Just blows my mind that not only can a student not simply support THEIR OWN SCHOOL, but want to talk other students AT THEIR OWN SCHOOL in to supporting SOMEONE ELSE'S SCHOOL!

    3. There are only about a half-dozen programs in the country with a budget like lsu's. Doesn't mean I'm going to support them. I didn't go to that school. The problem I have is when people rub that in the faces of the other schools, as though that somehow justifies supporting them over (or alongside) your own school. What REALLY pisses me off, though, is that these folks conveniently ignore the fact that lsu got tons and tons of state money pumped into it to make sure no other school in the state could compete. Then, once that welfare queen finally started producing income, they turned off the spigot and limited the support that all schools can give to athletics. We have trouble competing even with a Boise State because the lsu-dominated legislature doesn't let other state schools support athletics, even though that is how lsu got to where they are today.

    4. Again, the taxpayers paid good money to make sure lsu was a cut above everyone else. It's not like they won it fair and square. Also, there was a time when Alabama would not play Auburn. Auburn fans, full of hatred for the "flagship," challenged them in the legislature and began playing them regularly. Over time, they rose to the status of peers, and became conference mates to boot. So, in our case, supporting lsu because they are bigger and better is nothing but a self-fulfilling prophecy.

    5. It's a free country, root for whomever you want. Just don't come to Ruston (or this message board) telling people why they should support someone else's school. (Not accusing you of that, but when the venom comes out it is usually because someone has implied that WE are the ones who are out of line for failing to recognize lsu's rightful place in the hierarchy.)

    If I had never gone to Louisiana Tech, lsu would mean nothing to me. I learned to hate them from having them thrust in my face in Ruston.

    There is also a lot of ways that lsu actively holds Tech back academically, and I face these issues every day. For example, when Tech comes up with a new graduate program, lsu essentially gets right of first refusal. If they don't want the program, and if the proposed program is not too similar to something they offer, then we can proceed with the proposal process. That, my friend, is ridiculous.

    Now, if lsu had gotten to the top of the state through their own efforts, that would be one thing. But they get the lion's share of resources, and at least academically, still don't accomplish much. For example, for all the preferential treatment they get, and despite the legislature's insistence that putting all of the state's eggs in one basket is the best way to help the state, we still are near the bottom in the country in the ratings of our higher education, lsu has barely cracked the top 50% of the US News top 200 rankings (we are not far behind them, really), and they don't have a single doctoral program (that I can find, anyway) that is ranked nationally. Not only that, our economy is one of the worst in the country. What is Louisiana really getting for their investment?
    Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way… you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions. –Aristotle


    Freedom, Security, Convenience -- Choose Two. –Dan Geer

  4. #4
    Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Not only that, our economy is one of the worst in the country. What is Louisiana really getting for their investment?

    Good post. Thanks for some ingsight... some of your points are things I didn't know.

    As for the quote above... where would it be if not for you know who? Also, aren't we the only state in the nation to have a decrease in the unemployment rate over this past quarter?

    I think some of your hatred should be for the state government considering that they are the root to all these problems. LSU is just a lucky recipient from my point of view.

    Seems like your comments would hint to you being a Republican correct?

  5. #5
    Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,380

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    I could go on all day about why I hate LSU. You can also read my story HERE

    GO BULLDOGS! LSU SUCKS!

  6. #6
    Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    I could go on all day about why I hate LSU. You can also read my story HERE

    GO BULLDOGS! LSU SUCKS!
    Other than that one situation...which we have discussed on an impersonal level... what are your reasons? I'm trying to gather some info here.

  7. #7
    Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    16,711

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Satan is a LSU fan...that is why they nickname their stadium Death Valley.

  8. #8
    Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,380

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    I am surrounded by LSU fans every single day and I work right up against their campus. I'm not even allowed to have anything from Tech on my desk, or I'm out. LSU fans are the most obnoxious pricks on the planet, and I have caught hell and been treated like a lower life form for years living here. PLUS, I consider them my rival. I see Tech and want them to be to LSU as Auburn is to Alabama. I already treat it that way, and will not ever root for other Louisiana teams. Hell, it's even a North vs South Louisiana thing for me. I cackle every time another FBS team in Louisiana loses and we win. LSU is the #1 big enemy because they're the best out of the teams, so I am against them the most.

  9. #9
    Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Satan is a LSU fan...that is why they nickname their stadium Death Valley.
    ha ha

  10. #10
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    44,803

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Until just recently lsu defines under achievement. It is difficult for a "seasoned" sports fan like me to get past that part. Attendees and grads of other universities who support lsu by going to lsu games or missing their own university events to be involved with lsu game watching make me ill. I can't tell you how many nlulm grads I know who are desperate for something positive so they've jumped on the lsu wagon, but still hate on Tech and lump Tech in with their own loser school. I almost go postal when I hear conversations like this from folks who've just purchased lsu gear at the local Walmart...

    Larry: lsu looked good, but they need to get the QB situation figured out.

    Darrell 1: Yeah, did you see what happened to ulm today?

    Larry: Yeah but, they looked good in the first series.

    Darrell 2: Yeah ulm and Tech should just go back to division 2.

    Most bandwagon fans (including our local media) ALWAYS lump Tech in with the loser school.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  11. #11
    Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Ruston
    Posts
    17,132

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    4) While we do play them in sports, it hasn't been competitive in many years, and like I said I cheer for TECH above all else.... I wear red and blue at Tiger Stadium when it is LSU vs. TECH. I cheer for them when they play anyone else because it is good for our state to have a positive light shone on it. Also, you never see a Bama fan cheering for Auburn or vice versa... because they are in the same conference and are one of the biggest rivalries in the nation... that is a huge ifference in their situation and ours.

    5) ...I am a Tech grad who's support system goes TECH, LSU, Any other in state team, a WAC team, then a team from the South.
    I would like to address just these two points because, frankly, this discussion has been hashed out well over a hundred times and a simple search can bring up the same things being said now. With that out of the way, I'd like to ask you some questions.

    1.What colors do you wear to LSU games when Tech and LSU aren't playing?

    2. Based on your reasoning in number 4 can you specifically point out to me how LSU winning in the BCS in football, all their national championships in track and whatever else they finish well in has benefitted Tech?

    3. Can you show me how we've received more money from those accomplishments or any other accomplishment?

    4. Can you show me how the people of Louisiana got one more dime in their paychecks or any other benefit other than someone saying LSU won the national championship?

    5. Has the federal government given the state any extra funds because of LSU's performances?

    6. Do you show Floridians any more favor than before because they won the BCS?

    7. How, exactly, does LSU winning a championship benefit anyone in the state except LSU?

    Also, I doubt you see a Bama fan cheer for anyone in Alabama but Bama. In fact, their board severely limited what UAB could do by not letting them spend the money they needed and had raised that wasn't public to hire what was considered a top coach. Now as far as your support of other state schools.

    8. Not including Tech or LSU, how many football games of other state schools have you attended?

    9. Do attend more LSU games a year than Tech games?

    10. How many playoff games of other state schools have you attended?

    11. How many LSU games have you attended?

    Now, since you are looking for answers, I'd like an answer from you on the questions I posed in my response to you.

  12. #12
    Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    Good post. Thanks for some ingsight... some of your points are things I didn't know.

    As for the quote above... where would it be if not for you know who? Also, aren't we the only state in the nation to have a decrease in the unemployment rate over this past quarter?

    I think some of your hatred should be for the state government considering that they are the root to all these problems. LSU is just a lucky recipient from my point of view.

    Seems like your comments would hint to you being a Republican correct?
    Not a Republican, no.

    Your "lucky recipient" part is dead on. The PROBLEM, though, is that most people in Louisiana believe that lsu earned their lofty position, and if the other schools in the state would simply try harder, they, too, could have such success. lsu has been propped up, in both athletics and academics, to have ALL of the advantages over the other schools in the state. Other schools are not even permitted to APPEAR to be competing with the flagship.

    What irks me about the legislature (which is, BTW, dominated by lsu alum, and if that is not racketeering I don't know what is), is that they continue to insist on this "flagship" BS long after other states have bailed on it. Take South Carolina and Alabama, for example. Similar population size, similar economic history in many ways, and they also use a "flagship" system. However, the other two, while keeping a school the "designated" flagship, have spread the wealth around to at least one other major university (and in each case it happens to be a school that has a more technological focus (Clemson and Auburn). Now, each of those states have TWO state universities in the top tier of the US News rankings, whereas Louisiana just got ONE school up there, and that just happened last year. (Also, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina, and Clemson are all rated much higher than lsu.) Competition, when managed well, can be a very good thing.

    So, I dislike lsu mainly because they overtly stand in the way of Tech's growth. But I also dislike them because of their alumni in the legislature who continue to keep them propped up and protected, and in the meantime the people of Louisiana get the short end of the stick. There is a reason why most states have gone away from putting all their eggs into one institution's basket.
    Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way… you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions. –Aristotle


    Freedom, Security, Convenience -- Choose Two. –Dan Geer

  13. #13
    Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I would like to address just these two points because, frankly, this discussion has been hashed out well over a hundred times and a simple search can bring up the same things being said now. With that out of the way, I'd like to ask you some questions.

    1.What colors do you wear to LSU games when Tech and LSU aren't playing?

    2. Based on your reasoning in number 4 can you specifically point out to me how LSU winning in the BCS in football, all their national championships in track and whatever else they finish well in has benefitted Tech?

    3. Can you show me how we've received more money from those accomplishments or any other accomplishment?

    4. Can you show me how the people of Louisiana got one more dime in their paychecks or any other benefit other than someone saying LSU won the national championship?

    5. Has the federal government given the state any extra funds because of LSU's performances?

    6. Do you show Floridians any more favor than before because they won the BCS?

    7. How, exactly, does LSU winning a championship benefit anyone in the state except LSU?

    Also, I doubt you see a Bama fan cheer for anyone in Alabama but Bama. In fact, their board severely limited what UAB could do by not letting them spend the money they needed and had raised that wasn't public to hire what was considered a top coach. Now as far as your support of other state schools.

    8. Not including Tech or LSU, how many football games of other state schools have you attended?

    9. Do attend more LSU games a year than Tech games?

    10. How many playoff games of other state schools have you attended?

    11. How many LSU games have you attended?

    Now, since you are looking for answers, I'd like an answer from you on the questions I posed in my response to you.
    1) I wear LSU colors, because as I stated I do cheer for them when they play anyone other than Tech.

    2-5) No money has directly gone to Tech or th government to my knowledge, however it also ahs not been taken away from Tech to my knowledge... the revenue I speak of comes in part due to merchandise sales and the revenue stream of LSU playing in the Sugar Bowl in recent years. I never stated that they were some kinda "stimulus plan" for the people of Louisiana... I was talking pure tourism dollars and cash flow in the state.

    6) No I do not... because the BCS Championships do not play a role in my hierarchy of support. I grew up as a child cheering for my cousin as he played for LSU, this is back in the Dinardo days when they sucked and never won... so the BCS stuff came later. If you think I only cheer for Champions, you are crazy.... I'm a CUBS and SAINTS fan.....

    7) See answer for 2-5

    8) In the past five years I've attended games of ULM, NSU, one at McNeese, and one at Southeastern, as well as going to the Bayou Classic... hope that helps

    9) Even though I live in Baton Rouge I find that I attend more Tech games... This year I have seen 6 Tech baseball games and 1 football... as opposed to 2 LSU baseball games and 1 football.... haven't seen any other sport at either school...

    10) I've personally only attended two playoff games... in 2004 I believe it was when LSU hosted TAMU in the super regionals.

    11) In my life? Hard to say... however, I can assure you it isn't near as many as I have attended at Tech.... I watched almost every sport there... even soccer.... I went through 3 spirit of '88 shirts.


    Any more questions?

  14. #14
    Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Alexandria
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Not a Republican, no.

    Your "lucky recipient" part is dead on. The PROBLEM, though, is that most people in Louisiana believe that lsu earned their lofty position, and if the other schools in the state would simply try harder, they, too, could have such success. lsu has been propped up, in both athletics and academics, to have ALL of the advantages over the other schools in the state. Other schools are not even permitted to APPEAR to be competing with the flagship.

    What irks me about the legislature (which is, BTW, dominated by lsu alum, and if that is not racketeering I don't know what is), is that they continue to insist on this "flagship" BS long after other states have bailed on it. Take South Carolina and Alabama, for example. Similar population size, similar economic history in many ways, and they also use a "flagship" system. However, the other two, while keeping a school the "designated" flagship, have spread the wealth around to at least one other major university (and in each case it happens to be a school that has a more technological focus (Clemson and Auburn). Now, each of those states have TWO state universities in the top tier of the US News rankings, whereas Louisiana just got ONE school up there, and that just happened last year. (Also, Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina, and Clemson are all rated much higher than lsu.) Competition, when managed well, can be a very good thing.

    So, I dislike lsu mainly because they overtly stand in the way of Tech's growth. But I also dislike them because of their alumni in the legislature who continue to keep them propped up and protected, and in the meantime the people of Louisiana get the short end of the stick. There is a reason why most states have gone away from putting all their eggs into one institution's basket.
    Sorry I just figured you were republican since you were hating on LSU for getting what is essentially WELLFARE... lol just playing with you...couldn't pass up the oppertunity

  15. #15
    Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12,208

    Re: LSU why the hate?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    Sorry I just figured you were republican since you were hating on LSU for getting what is essentially WELLFARE... lol just playing with you...couldn't pass up the oppertunity
    Well, "Welfare Queen" and "Welfare Whore" are two of my favorite nicknames for lsu. I do it mainly to piss off the Republican lsu fans. :icon_wink:

    And, in my rhetoric, lsu is the WORST KIND of Welfare Queen--she managed to purchase a winning lottery ticket with her welfare check, then acts as if she somehow earned her lofty status! In reality it is luck and checks from the government that has helped her out. Unfortunately, the people of Louisiana have little or nothing to show for it.

    Meanwhile, until last year, Louisiana Tech was being funded at only ~80% of the guaranteed MINIMUM prescribed by the state legislature's funding formula. Really makes you scratch your head.
    Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way… you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions. –Aristotle


    Freedom, Security, Convenience -- Choose Two. –Dan Geer

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts