+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Todays Specal - BCS Grilled & Roasted

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Re: Todays Specal - BCS Grilled & Roasted

Quote Originally Posted by HistDawg View Post
    If you leave the sunbelt out, you are saying the same thing about them as the current AQ are saying about all the other leagues. If there is a playoff system (in whatever format) it needs to include all NCAA Division I A (i refuse to call it FBS) conferences. If it is to be a fair and equitable system. Anything other than that, it will be like the current system with a different name.

Exactly.

Varsity Bulldog CAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really nice CAJUNNATION's Avatar

MOTHER OF ALL PLAYOFFS

RULES

---All eleven conference champions get bid.
    ---Next 13 highest BCS ranked schools get bid, total of 24.
    ---Highest 8 seeds get first round bye.
    ---Seeds 9-24 begin First round action at higher seed's home field on third Saturday of December.
    ---Sweet 16 would play on fourth Saturday of December, once again at higher seed's home field.
    ---Elite 8 would play first weekend of January. This would begin use of "BCS" bowls, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange.
    ---Final-Four would be second weekend of January, once again at 2 of the 4 "BCS" bowl sites.
    ---National Championship game would be, once again at 1 of the "BCS" bowl sites. Instead of 4+1, it would be 4+2+1.

FIRST-ROUND MATCHUPS
    WEEK 1

#24 TROY at #9 BOISE STATE
    #23 BUFFALO at #10 OHIO STATE
    #22 EAST CAROLINA at #11 TCU
    #21 MISSOURI at #12 CINCINATTI
    #20 PITTSBURGH at #13 OKLAHOMA STATE
    #19 VIRGINIA TECH at #14 GEORGIA TECH
    #18 MICHIGAN STATE at #15 GEORGIA
    #17 OREGON at #16 BYU

SWEET 16
    WEEK 2

(Oregon/BYU winner) at #1 OKLAHOMA
    (Michigan State/Georgia winner) at #2 FLORIDA
    (Virginia Tech/Georgia Tech winner) at #3 TEXAS
    (Pittsburgh/Oklahoma State winner) at #4 ALABAMA
    (Missouri/Cincinatti winner) at #5 USC
    (East Carolina/TCU winner) at #6 UTAH
    (Buffalo/Ohio State winner) at #7 TEXAS TECH
    (Troy/Boise State winner) at #8 PENN STATE

ELITE EIGHT
    WEEK 3
    Rose/Fiesta/Sugar/Orange

FINAL FOUR
    WEEK4
    (2 of the BCS bowls repeat host)

CHAMPIONSHIP
    WEEK5
    (1 of the BCS bowls repeat host)

SUMMARY

---This system would allow almost all of the other major bowl games outside of the "BCS" bowls to still serve a purpose, and for very good schools not making the tourney to still have a post-season.
    ---The "home game" format and the first round bye format are necessary to involve as many teams as I did. The reward of another home game has many benefits, financial or otherwise.
    ---In order for the major conferences to buy into a playoff, it would have to be seen as almost "rigged" in their favor. I believe first round byes, home field advantage, and multiple at-larges from each major conference, all based on strength of individual schools, is key to getting this passed.
    ---The major conferences will never go for a playoff that would guarantee equal representation to non-major conferences. You have to go to at least 24 teams to ensure that each major conference has at least 2 schools in the playoff on most years.
    ---Finally, the money generated by such a playoff would dwarf the basketball tourney revenues.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNNATION View Post
    MOTHER OF ALL PLAYOFFS

RULES

---All eleven conference champions get bid.
    ---Next 13 highest BCS ranked schools get bid, total of 24.
    ---Highest 8 seeds get first round bye.
    ---Seeds 9-24 begin First round action at higher seed's home field on third Saturday of December.
    ---Sweet 16 would play on fourth Saturday of December, once again at higher seed's home field.
    ---Elite 8 would play first weekend of January. This would begin use of "BCS" bowls, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange.
    ---Final-Four would be second weekend of January, once again at 2 of the 4 "BCS" bowl sites.
    ---National Championship game would be, once again at 1 of the "BCS" bowl sites. Instead of 4+1, it would be 4+2+1.

FIRST-ROUND MATCHUPS
    WEEK 1

#24 TROY at #9 BOISE STATE
    #23 BUFFALO at #10 OHIO STATE
    #22 EAST CAROLINA at #11 TCU
    #21 MISSOURI at #12 CINCINATTI
    #20 PITTSBURGH at #13 OKLAHOMA STATE
    #19 VIRGINIA TECH at #14 GEORGIA TECH
    #18 MICHIGAN STATE at #15 GEORGIA
    #17 OREGON at #16 BYU

SWEET 16
    WEEK 2

(Oregon/BYU winner) at #1 OKLAHOMA
    (Michigan State/Georgia winner) at #2 FLORIDA
    (Virginia Tech/Georgia Tech winner) at #3 TEXAS
    (Pittsburgh/Oklahoma State winner) at #4 ALABAMA
    (Missouri/Cincinatti winner) at #5 USC
    (East Carolina/TCU winner) at #6 UTAH
    (Buffalo/Ohio State winner) at #7 TEXAS TECH
    (Troy/Boise State winner) at #8 PENN STATE

ELITE EIGHT
    WEEK 3
    Rose/Fiesta/Sugar/Orange

FINAL FOUR
    WEEK4
    (2 of the BCS bowls repeat host)

CHAMPIONSHIP
    WEEK5
    (1 of the BCS bowls repeat host)

SUMMARY

---This system would allow almost all of the other major bowl games outside of the "BCS" bowls to still serve a purpose, and for very good schools not making the tourney to still have a post-season.
    ---The "home game" format and the first round bye format are necessary to involve as many teams as I did. The reward of another home game has many benefits, financial or otherwise.
    ---In order for the major conferences to buy into a playoff, it would have to be seen as almost "rigged" in their favor. I believe first round byes, home field advantage, and multiple at-larges from each major conference, all based on strength of individual schools, is key to getting this passed.
    ---The major conferences will never go for a playoff that would guarantee equal representation to non-major conferences. You have to go to at least 24 teams to ensure that each major conference has at least 2 schools in the playoff on most years.
    ---Finally, the money generated by such a playoff would dwarf the basketball tourney revenues.

This is actually really good. It would ensure that a majority of you top 25 at least have a shot at the title. Nice post!!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I guess that I am a traditionalist, I want to see the college football season end no later than the first weekend in January. Preferrably on 1 January. But I know that we will probably never see that again. Spreading it out into the latter part of January just gives more ammo to those who say it takes too much class time away from the athletes (I don't believe it, but that is a major argument of the presidents...).

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I guess that I am a traditionalist, I want to see the college football season end no later than the first weekend in January. Preferrably on 1 January. But I know that we will probably never see that again. Spreading it out into the latter part of January just gives more ammo to those who say it takes too much class time away from the athletes (I don't believe it, but that is a major argument of the presidents...).
    The season could easily be over in January, but the NCAA and schools would lose $$$ to do it. Well, they would lose $$ as far as they are concerned.

We could have a champ by Jan 7th if:

1. All schools played their first game the last weekend in August.
    2. No school has an open date.
    3. Every school played an 11 game schedule with a conference championship.

Done deal, champ by early January.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I wish they would go back to an 11 game schedule. Start the 3 Saturday of August (allow all schools to start fall practice 3 weeks before their first game) and hold all conference championship games by the last weekend in November. That should give 14-15 weeks to play 11 or 12 games. Does not extend the season and allows for a few off weeks to heal up.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    The season could easily be over in January, but the NCAA and schools would lose $$$ to do it. Well, they would lose $$ as far as they are concerned.

We could have a champ by Jan 7th if:

1. All schools played their first game the last weekend in August.
    2. No school has an open date.
    3. Every school played an 11 game schedule with a conference championship.

Done deal, champ by early January.
    i'm definitely a believer in at least one, probably two, open dates. if a team plays 11 games, followed by a conference championship game, followed by three or four "playoff" games, you are asking these guys to not have a weekend off for 15-16 straight weeks. even the nfl doesn't ask that of its professional players.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    i'm definitely a believer in at least one, probably two, open dates. if a team plays 11 games, followed by a conference championship game, followed by three or four "playoff" games, you are asking these guys to not have a weekend off for 15-16 straight weeks. even the nfl doesn't ask that of its professional players.

true, but we have had seasons with 3 open dates. That is rediculous. Those seasons always ended like the second week in December and we could have been done before Thanksgiving. One open date would be fine. The NFL only has one and they play 17 games before the playoffs.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

true, but we have had seasons with 3 open dates. That is rediculous. Those seasons always ended like the second week in December and we could have been done before Thanksgiving. One open date would be fine. The NFL only has one and they play 17 games before the playoffs.
    I don't recall 3 open dates. I agree though, one is plenty.

On the above playoff scenario, I don't like the higher seed/home field thing. Let those 16 teams use the existing bowls so that the bowl cities, fans, etc. still get the bowl experience. Doing the higher seed/home team thing puts even more money in the pocket of the current AQs.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I don't recall 3 open dates. I agree though, one is plenty.

On the above playoff scenario, I don't like the higher seed/home field thing. Let those 16 teams use the existing bowls so that the bowl cities, fans, etc. still get the bowl experience. Doing the higher seed/home team thing puts even more money in the pocket of the current AQs.
    I guess I am thinking of a few seasons when we didn't have a game as early as most schools and also had 2 open dates. I think that may be the case this year. Not really 3 open dates, just 3 dates when other schools may be playing and we aren't.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I guess that I am a traditionalist, I want to see the college football season end no later than the first weekend in January. Preferrably on 1 January.
    Let me get this straight, are you saying you want less college football?

Varsity Bulldog CAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really niceCAJUNNATION is just really nice CAJUNNATION's Avatar

This is actually really good. It would ensure that a majority of you top 25 at least have a shot at the title. Nice post!!

Thanks. This playoff would include roughly 20% of the total teams in the FBS. The basketball tourney uses this same percentage.

Many people who object to a large playoff do so citing the increased number of games. This is ludicrous. Nobody misses nearly as much school as do the basketball players.

Under this system, assuming all favorites win, 4 schools would play 1 more game than they do now, 2 schools would play 2 more, and 2 schools would play 3 more.

In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing. Besides, I don't think the schools playing the extra games would complain anyway.

This is the only way to do a playoff and be all-inclusive while being fair to the stronger programs. Again, this is excatly what happens with the basketball tourney.

No. The real reason certain people and conferences object isn't about # of games played or money. The money generated here would be astronomical. The real reason is fear of losing CONTROL of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Let me get this straight, are you saying you want less college football?
    As much as I love college football, I think that 11 regular season games is just about right. :icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread