+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crappie fishing

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

crappie fishing

i'm taking my family fishing this weekend, and i need some advice. i will probably be spending most of my time dealing with snags and rigging and re-rigging everyone to catch catfish, bream, and/or bass. but when i do occasionally get the chance to cast my own rig, i want to catch some crappie. crappie is my favorite fish to eat, but it has been a while since i fished for them, and i never was very good at it anyway (you might say i'm a crappy crappie fisherman).

every fisherman has his favorite bait and technique. if you share yours with me, i promise not to use it in your secret fishing hole.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: crappie fishing

For me, minnows are the best. Simple bobbing cork and lead weight. I tend to put the weight 6 to 8 inches above the hook where most folks do half that. Biggest thing is finding the right depth if you don't have a fish finder. I have success with different colored jigs on a tight line with a very light jigging motion, but live bait just does better.

If you can get into them with a beetle spin, I like black with yellow, on a light weight rod & reel, that's a ton of fun!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I've used beetle spins and small jigs, but I'm with TD. I've always done better with shiners and a cork.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

TECH77 been catching quite a few lately -

Persoanlly I prefer a crank telephone and wire and a dip net
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i'm taking my family fishing this weekend, and i need some advice. i will probably be spending most of my time dealing with snags and rigging and re-rigging everyone to catch catfish, bream, and/or bass. but when i do occasionally get the chance to cast my own rig, i want to catch some crappie. crappie is my favorite fish to eat, but it has been a while since i fished for them, and i never was very good at it anyway (you might say i'm a crappy crappie fisherman).

every fisherman has his favorite bait and technique. if you share yours with me, i promise not to use it in your secret fishing hole.
    So much variation on pre-spawn, spawn, water temp., etc with white perch. If you are willing to spend a little money at the local bait shack they will tell you how they are being caught at the time.

It is hard to beat live bait. Minnows were running a dime each last time I purchased some and it is tough to keep them alive without an aerator.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Bob for the kids use shiners. If you want to try an ultralight get some 1/16th ounce jig heads and thread a curly tail crappie jig on it. Throw it out and reel it in REAL slow. The curly tail will attract the bites. Experiment with different depths by counting the jig down -- one thousand one, one thousand two, etc., before you begin reeling it in.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Bob for the kids use shiners. If you want to try an ultralight get some 1/16th ounce jig heads and thread a curly tail crappie jig on it. Throw it out and reel it in REAL slow. The curly tail will attract the bites. Experiment with different depths by counting the jig down -- one thousand one, one thousand two, etc., before you begin reeling it in.
    i prefer to use lures over live bait. my girl will be fishing for bream and cats with night crawlers. my boy will be doing that some, and maybe trying for bass with diving crankbait and worms. i don't think i can keep shiners alive long enough for it to be worth buying them.

i've got some light jig heads and curly tail crappie jigs. that's probably what i'll go with, but i'm open to additional advice.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

I use blue w/ white skirt mini jigs to catch sac-a-lait and catch perch all the time with that, 1/8th head size. That is down in southern LA. though. Can't go wrong with a worm on a hook under a stopper though.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Tech77 may be w/holding one of his secrets...

All the white perch guys I know WILL NOT fish w/out hooking the little niblits on the lure. Last jar I purchased was less than $5.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    So much variation on pre-spawn, spawn, water temp., etc with white perch. If you are willing to spend a little money at the local bait shack they will tell you how they are being caught at the time.

It is hard to beat live bait. Minnows were running a dime each last time I purchased some and it is tough to keep them alive without an aerator.
    if you dont have an aerator go "old school" and drop some ice in the water. That will release some oxygen into the water for the SHINNERS. I know not what these "minnows" are that you speak of.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    if you dont have an aerator go "old school" and drop some ice in the water. That will release some oxygen into the water for the SHINNERS. I know not what these "minnows" are that you speak of.
    My main secret is to know where the brush tops (or other types of structue) are. Lots of different methods will catch them, once you find them.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Bob, they are pretty much gone from shallow water down here now, but if you find them in shallow water, fishing a cork two or three feet over a jig is a great, easy way for the kids to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i prefer to use lures over live bait. my girl will be fishing for bream and cats with night crawlers. my boy will be doing that some, and maybe trying for bass with diving crankbait and worms. i don't think i can keep shiners alive long enough for it to be worth buying them.

i've got some light jig heads and curly tail crappie jigs. that's probably what i'll go with, but i'm open to additional advice.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

If crappie and sac-a-lait are the same thing, I've had great success with 1/8 oz beetle spins and that Gulp! earthworm substitute. The Beetle spins I use with different conditions are the white with red spot in clear water, the black with chartreuse stripe in murky, and the chartreuse glitter when nothing else is biting. I've also used a rooster tail when I was having trouble figuring out where they were.

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

Where will you be fishing? I've got some hotspots on Darbonne but it's closed to boat traffic now, due to high water.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

minnows for white perch. DEEP water. its best to know the lake and/or drop some trees the season before -- you really need some deep-water shrubbery to be successful, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread