+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: crappie fishing

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: crappie fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    My crew caught 40+ monday right of my wall....

Bream of course

The lake has been suprisingly calm the last few days very little wind first time in awhile it has been this calm
    At least 77 gave us pix as proof.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    At least 77 gave us pix as proof.
    you had to ask -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Of course - I didn't take the pictures....

And notice the KEWL Tazmanian Devil Zebco fishing gear :icon_wink:

I was too busy cookin....

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Sac-a-lait and perch aren't the same. Crappie and perch, a sun perch, are one in the same....that is what we call em down here at least. Sac-a-lait are white bass I believe.

While at tech cat fishing via tight line, I've caught some crappie, very slow fishing, but if your in the same spot and have hit a mess of them, it can be used as another pole to fish with while your using a cork or mini jig with the other. I do this sometimes when I have the bait.

So the berkley gulp worm works with crappie? I've been thinking of giving some of their baits a try. I may try their nibbles crappie bait too.

I am trying to go out soon, I've just bought a new truck though, and have to re-wire either the boat trailer or truck because they don't make adapters for a 7 round to a 4 round.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana_dog View Post
    Sac-a-lait and perch aren't the same. Crappie and perch, a sun perch, are one in the same....that is what we call em down here at least. Sac-a-lait are white bass I believe.

While at tech cat fishing via tight line, I've caught some crappie, very slow fishing, but if your in the same spot and have hit a mess of them, it can be used as another pole to fish with while your using a cork or mini jig with the other. I do this sometimes when I have the bait.

So the berkley gulp worm works with crappie? I've been thinking of giving some of their baits a try. I may try their nibbles crappie bait too.

I am trying to go out soon, I've just bought a new truck though, and have to re-wire either the boat trailer or truck because they don't make adapters for a 7 round to a 4 round.
    according to texas parks and wildlife, crappie are also known as white perch, sac-a-lait, and calico bass. down here, what people call perch is what i call bream or bluegill, also known as sunperch.

bream are easy to catch -- they're very aggressive feeders and they'll hit just about any bait whether it's moving or not, as long as you get it where they can see or smell it. they are good eating, just not much of a sport.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I wondered how long it would be before we got into this discussion. Strange how names of fish vary from region to region. Here's one from Pennsylvania, but still very informative...

www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/fishhtms/chap22.htm

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I wondered how long it would be before we got into this discussion. Strange how names of fish vary from region to region. Here's one from Pennsylvania, but still very informative...

www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/fishhtms/chap22.htm
    here's where i found the naming information from texas parks and wildlife.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Yeah, I can't imagine where this came from...

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

guess we've been wrong all these years.

guess we've been wrong all these years.
    Your LTAC membership has blinded me to your fish identifying ability.

I've noticed since I was a kid how many different names there are for the same fish...

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

The name differences are why we use Latin names to identify fish, plants, animals, etc. What we call White Perch, Sac-a-Lait etc are Pomoxis nigromaculatus (Black crappie) and Pomoxis annularis (White crappie). They can live in the same water and it is not unusual to catch both species in the same area. White crappie tend to like muddier water for reproduction, which is why you only see Black crappie in some clearer lakes (Caney for example).

Big Dog SkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the roughSkeeterDawg is a jewel in the rough

Here is a picture of both species.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterDawg View Post
    Here is a picture of both species.
    Shouldn't they be hovering around a sunken Christmas tree?

Perhaps they were not in their native habitat for the picture.

+ Reply to Thread