+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Traffic Laws

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

New Traffic Laws

If true these are nothing more than potential money makers. Not unlike current speeding tickets. Anybody know for sure?

Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 01:41:13 +0000
    >
    > Subject: New State Law (35-32) Louisiana
    >
    > FYI,
    >
    >
    Starting 23 April 2009 , A speeding ticket in a school zone even
    > if it's one mile over the limit is going to be $1,200.00. If you are
    > going eleven or more miles over the limit you get the $1,200.00 ticket
    > plus a citation and possible jail time. It will be considered a
    > misdemeanor. Then you have to appear in court and pay court costs.
    >
    Also, if you see a trooper on the interstate with someone pulled over
    > you have to switch to the left lane before you pass him or you will get
    > a $150.00 ticket. These are new state laws. Please be aware.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her gameDawgyinmiami is on top of his/her game Dawgyinmiami's Avatar

Re: New Traffic Laws

I don't know about that first one. I can't imagine any speeding ticket costing that much or warranting jail time.

As far as moving over for police officers on the side of the road, I lived in Texas for a while and it was a big deal when I was there. You were required to move over a lane when possible or slow down when approaching. I think this is actually a good law. It's dangerous to be on the side of the road and exposed like they are. Not to mention, I think it's the courteous thing to do.

Dawgyinmiami

Champ bad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to all bad_man's Avatar

Not true per Baton Rouge news a few weeks ago.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp...72921&nav=0aWU

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    If true these are nothing more than potential money makers. Not unlike current speeding tickets. Anybody know for sure?

Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 01:41:13 +0000
    >
    > Subject: New State Law (35-32) Louisiana
    >
    > FYI,
    >
    > Starting 23 April 2009 , A speeding ticket in a school zone even
    > if it's one mile over the limit is going to be $1,200.00. If you are
    > going eleven or more miles over the limit you get the $1,200.00 ticket
    > plus a citation and possible jail time. It will be considered a
    > misdemeanor. Then you have to appear in court and pay court costs.
    > Also, if you see a trooper on the interstate with someone pulled over
    > you have to switch to the left lane before you pass him or you will get
    > a $150.00 ticket. These are new state laws. Please be aware.
    yeah, got that email about two weeks ago, tried to snopes it but i guess it was to young to make a match.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

So the school zone law is false.

What about the move over law? I do that out of courtesy now, but is that for sure a law?

I think it should be, if it isn't already.

Varsity Bulldog TDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the rough TDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gcc005 View Post
    So the school zone law is false.

What about the move over law? I do that out of courtesy now, but is that for sure a law?

I think it should be, if it isn't already.
    It is true. I was in court a few months back with some kids in a program that I run and two women were in court on that charge. At that time, the judge didn't even seem to know about that law.
    TDAWG

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

The move over law is true. It doesn't matter who is on the side of the road (fire, police, EMS, or a stranded motorist) if you don't move over, you will get a ticket!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    The move over law is true. It doesn't matter who is on the side of the road (fire, police, EMS, or a stranded motorist) if you don't move over, you will get a ticket!
    $150? That's a little much. Like Gcc, I do that now and don't need the threat of a $150 fine to force me over. I will say that there are times when you can't move over. I guess you are just supposed to come to a complete stop in the right hand lane while waiting on left lane traffic to clear so you can move over.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

School zone speeding email is false

Posted: April 29, 2009 01:56 PM CDT
    Updated: May 6, 2009 12:23 PM CDT
    BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - Louisiana State Police was flooded with phone calls this week about an email being widely circulated which warns of an increased fine for speeding in school zones.
    Sergeant Markus Smith says the email, which claims the fine for speeding in a school zone will increase to $1,200, is inaccurate.

Smith says there are laws in Louisiana that prohibit excessive fines being put in place for specific situations, like speeding in a school zone.

In East Baton Rouge Parish, for example, the fine for speeding in a school zone (11 miles over posted speed limit) is $134.25.
    ©2009 WAFB. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Why would so many people be worried?

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    $150? That's a little much. Like Gcc, I do that now and don't need the threat of a $150 fine to force me over. I will say that there are times when you can't move over. I guess you are just supposed to come to a complete stop in the right hand lane while waiting on left lane traffic to clear so you can move over.
    If you can't move over you are suppose to slow down to a "reasonable speed" per the article I read in the Shreveport Times. The law has come about because of emergency responders and pedestrians getting killed from people rubber-necking or just not paying attention. About a year ago, a guy was killed in Lincoln Parish on interstate trying to fill his car up with gas. A tow truck driver was killed on I-49 last week trying to load an 18 wheeler up. Another 18 wheeler plowed into the back of the one on the shoulder and it pinned the tow truck operator on the guard rail, I believe.

My department always shuts down at least one lane of traffic on interstate when fighting a fire or working a car wreck. This is for our safety. We have nearly been run over or other wrecks have happened because people aren't paying attention. I think the fine should be more. I don't think $150 will teach these people a lesson.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    Why would so many people be worried?
    Next on the agenda: Our distinguished legislators are going to vote on when and where we can take a dump and the type toilet paper we use.

Stay tuned....

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    If you can't move over you are suppose to slow down to a "reasonable speed" per the article I read in the Shreveport Times. The law has come about because of emergency responders and pedestrians getting killed from people rubber-necking or just not paying attention. About a year ago, a guy was killed in Lincoln Parish on interstate trying to fill his car up with gas. A tow truck driver was killed on I-49 last week trying to load an 18 wheeler up. Another 18 wheeler plowed into the back of the one on the shoulder and it pinned the tow truck operator on the guard rail, I believe.

My department always shuts down at least one lane of traffic on interstate when fighting a fire or working a car wreck. This is for our safety. We have nearly been run over or other wrecks have happened because people aren't paying attention. I think the fine should be more. I don't think $150 will teach these people a lesson.
    Reasonable speed? Going 70 then see the lights or whatever after you top a hill. Quick check in the rearview and you CAN NOT move over. Slam on the brakes and somebody runs up your butt. This is very common. I understand about safety and do all I can, but if I get fined when I can't help it, $150 is WAAAAY too much. I guess we should all just ride in the left lane no matter how fast we go. Then this bunch of money suckers will pass a law allowing a fine for that too.

BTW, I remember the guy near Choudrant. This law wouldn't have helped that situation based on the way it was described in the paper.

+ Reply to Thread