+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Okay. I give up. What the hell is "Twitter"?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Okay. I give up. What the hell is "Twitter"?

I have no idea what the Twitter is. Drudge says it is getting as big as Google. I haven't even been to the site. Can somebody give me a clue what it does?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Okay. I give up. What the hell is "Twitter"?

It's a short, instant update. Kind of like sending a text message to a bunch of people at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Drudge is stupid.

Twitter will never even approach the size of Google. It's already having a fallout of members, a huge dropoff rate. I think it's a large hindenburg, ready to collapse. But then again, it could very well succeed. But by no means can it even be compared to Google.

Varsity Bulldog barkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of light barkly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yarfunkle View Post
    Drudge is stupid.

Twitter will never even approach the size of Google. It's already having a fallout of members, a huge dropoff rate. I think it's a large hindenburg, ready to collapse. But then again, it could very well succeed. But by no means can it even be compared to Google.

Now that is as clear as mud. Tell us what you really feel.

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

I am saying that in my opinion it is ready to collapse. But it could have a resurgence of numbers with smart business moves, much like any company can succeed with smart business moves.

Can you understand now? Do I need to break it down so a third grader can understand?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

What is the allure?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Thanks for asking Sooner. I had about figured it out after asking my kids and several other computer geeks.

Sean and Nick been hatin' on twitter for weeks now, so I figured it had to be a good thing.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. You guys need to quit quoting Yarf**kle. I have him on ignore because is is an idiot, as you well pointed out here. Just ignore him. Don't respond to him, and his stupidness will go away.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

All he did was give his opinion on the future of the thing. Not what you asked for, but since when have we been against tangents on BB&B?

I think the allure is kind of like Facebook updates where you can show off how clever you are (from the sender's perspective) or keep up with your friends or celebrities (from the reader's perspective).

Like any fad, I think it's getting into backlash stage. I recently read about a site called "Tweeting too hard" that mocks overly self-important users. You can check out where I read about it here on mentalfloss and follow the link to the actual site (by the way, if you sign up for mentalfloss's twitters, it looks like you get trivia sent to you).

Here is a whole article about the "allure of twitter" (ask and you shall receive).

Here is a whole article about its relative position to Google or Facebook.

And here is a bit about celebrities using it (I think some NBA players got flack for using during halftime this past season).
    Last edited by inudesu; 10-28-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Seems like it would appeal to self-absorbed girls, but no one else.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Seems like it would appeal to self-absorbed girls, but no one else.
    You've never met a "self-absorbed girl" absorbed boy?

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Ask Tenn coach Lane Kiffin what Twitter is.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    All he did was give his opinion on the future of the thing. Not what you asked for, but when have we been against tangents on BB&B?

I think the allure is kind of like Facebook updates where you can show off how clever you are (from the sender's perspective) or keep up with your friends or celebrities (from the reader's perspective).

Like any fad, I think it's getting into backlash stage. I recently read about a site called "Tweeting too hard" that mocks overly self-important users. You can check out where I read about it here on mentalfloss and follow the link to the actual site (by the way, if you sign up for mentalfloss's twitters, it looks like you get trivia sent to you).

Here is a whole article about the "allure of twitter" (ask and you shall receive).

Here is a whole article about its relative position to Google or Facebook.

And here is a bit about celebrities using it (I think some NBA players got flack for using during halftime this past season).
    I agree. It takes one popular aspect of the Facebook phenomenon--"the status update"--and offers it as a standalone. I really prefer it, too, because you don't get all the stupid FB apps and quiz announcements. I wish FB had a way to block content that is displayed in your own newsfeed. I really enjoy the status updates, though. I have learned of some really important things with old friends that way.

Champ daybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the roughdaybreaker3 is a jewel in the rough

You can have a program running on your computer that notifies you when someone you follow "Tweets". It's a good way to gt instant updates.

For example: You can follow NOLA news, NOLA weather, and get instant updates, for example, if there's severe weather heading your way, maybe a tornado watch, because not all of us are watching V or listening to local radio during the day to get this info.

Example 2: You can follow saintsreport.com, or other athletes and agents to get instant news from the sports world. Also, Shaq loves meeting twitter users, and will often post contests on twitter and the first person to find him in whatever city he is in will get two free tickets to that night's game.

Example 3: Following musicians, celebrities, local bars/restaurants, etc, to get up-to-the-minute info on current projects or specials going on. This way you dont have to seek out that information. you just follow them, and then that information comes to you.

Example 4: marketing. Naked Pizza in New Orleans started offering specials just for twitter users, and even replaced their company sign with a huge Twitter billboard and their twitter user name. Now they are partnering with Mark Cuban to go into franchise mode, all because they successfullly used Twitter to market their business (which has excellent pizza, btw). Also, think about it this way: Shaq has hundreds of thousands of followers. He gets to interact directly with fans, and because of this if he ever wants to sell anything he can freely and instantly reach almost a million people in his target audience. You cant BUY that kind of advertising power on TV. And yet Shaq gets it for free.

You can follow all sorts of different people for all sorts of different reasons. (I like to follow a few local bars and breweries to keep track of specials theyre running on certain nights)

Anyone who thinks it's just for teen girls to say "OMG, taking a shower" doesnt quite get technology. Yes, there are going to be loads of ridiculously inane posts, but that doesnt invalidate the MANY valid reasons to use Twitter.

+ Reply to Thread