+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Alsup

Varsity Bulldog techstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to all

Ben Alsup

The rumor here in Baton Rouge is that Alsup is gonna transfer to Tech. As you probably know, his brother Andrew pitched at Tech and he is from Ruston. Alsup didn't dress for the regional or super regional for LSU. He didn't get to pitch too much this season but he did a pretty good job when he did. I think he would be a great addition to next years team.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Re: Ben Alsup

Quote Originally Posted by techstudent09 View Post
    The rumor here in Baton Rouge is that Alsup is gonna transfer to Tech. As you probably know, his brother Andrew pitched at Tech and he is from Ruston. Alsup didn't dress for the regional or super regional for LSU. He didn't get to pitch too much this season but he did a pretty good job when he did. I think he would be a great addition to next years team.
    Ben is a great kid with a bright future... I would love to have him join us in Ruston. I'm still skeptical though since this is the first I've heard of this.

Big Dog TBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of lightTBDawg01 is a glorious beacon of light TBDawg01's Avatar

What class would Ben be in if he transfered?

TB

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by TBDawg01 View Post
    What class would Ben be in if he transfered?

TB
    He has been at LSU for two years now I think... not sure if he redshirted or not. I don't think he did, because I seem to recall him pitching a few games both years.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

A little off subject, but Texas has a player that transfered from Fresno St. and sat out last year while Fresno own the NC.

There seems to be alot of transfers in baseball. I wonder if you are not on scholarship, do you have to sit out a year?

Varsity Bulldog PTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the roughPTDAWG is a jewel in the rough PTDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    A little off subject, but Texas has a player that transfered from Fresno St. and sat out last year while Fresno own the NC.

There seems to be alot of transfers in baseball. I wonder if you are not on scholarship, do you have to sit out a year?
    You are allowed to transfer once within Div I. If you transfer again then you must sit out a year.

Back to Ben. I was duck hunting with one of Ben's brothers a couple of seasons ago and he said that Sim made it real hard for Ben to sign with LSU and not come to Tech. Said he was close to staying with Tech. So if Ben is unhappy with playing time or something I don't think it's a long shot for him to come back to Ruston.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PTDAWG View Post
    You are allowed to transfer once within Div I. If you transfer again then you must sit out a year.
    That's the old rule. It changed a couple of years ago that players now have to sit out if they transfer to a D1, except for juco guys. That's why Will Alvis sat out this year. This rule applies whether a player voluntarily transfers or even if he is cut. IMHO, it gives coaches way too much power.

Like I said though, Ben hasn't been redshirted, can his year out go to his redshirt year? or does he have to use one of his eligibility years?

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    Like I said though, Ben hasn't been redshirted, can his year out go to his redshirt year? or does he have to use one of his eligibility years?
    Yes, I believe you can use the redshirt year as the transfer sit out year. I think that once the clock starts on a player, you have five years to play four except in extenuating circumstances. So for Alsup, he would have two years left to play after sitting out a year.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Yes, I believe you can use the redshirt year as the transfer sit out year. I think that once the clock starts on a player, you have five years to play four except in extenuating circumstances. So for Alsup, he would have two years left to play after sitting out a year.
    That would make sense then...

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techstudent09 View Post
    Not true. Jordan Nicholson may be leaving LSU, but not Ben.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

close friend of the Alsup family and I haven't heard anything about him leaving LSU.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

The only thing strange was a mention on the radio how "all of the LSU pitchers" were ready and used in the SEC tourney, regionals and super-regional. It struck me as strange because Ben has not played in any of those games.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

Ben had 15 appearances for LSU this year, mostly midweek. He had a few very strong games and looked like he might be getting more appearances. He pitched on May 2 against Arkansas at the end of the game. LSU was down when he went in and he pitched the last 1.1 innings and gave up 6 runs. On May 10, he pitched the last inning against Florida. LSU was down when he went in and he pitched the last inning and gave up no runs. He then pitched May 12 against Centenary in the middle of the game and lasted 0.2 innings giving up 3 runs. He has not pitched since.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

There are still occurrences of programs taking back the partial scholarship and letting kid choose to walkon or transfer, especially if kid is in real good academic standing to count less against APR and team APR can absorb it.

So if player's aid not taken this year by HC, then he gets another try with risk that if not in top 6-7 arms the following Spring and team signs more good arms, his stay on aid could be very limited.

Just the way it works, which is less than it use to be happening at bigger schools due to APR. With APR, Coach can't release from aid as many each year as he may use to have practiced. So some players may be on for another year just because Team's APR could not absorb more releases from aid in same year.

+ Reply to Thread