+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kayak Fishing

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Kayak Fishing

Anyone on here ever done it? I'm thinking about grabbing a cheap/used kayak and giving it a try. I like fishing, but I don't want to pay for an expensive boat that I have no place to keep and nothing to tow it with.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: Kayak Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    Anyone on here ever done it? I'm thinking about grabbing a cheap/used kayak and giving it a try. I like fishing, but I don't want to pay for an expensive boat that I have no place to keep and nothing to tow it with.
    dont catch to big of a fish, if you do you might end up miles from where you want to be.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

That's one of the things I was curious about, actually. I've seen pictures of people holding up some pretty sizeable fish from their kayak. Now, some of the expensive ones have some method of guiding the thing with your feet.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

AG before you buy a kayak, check this out:

http://www.bobcatboats.com/

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I have several friends that use them..both on the local streams/bayous and for some inshore (south TX) redfish/trout fishing. They love it. Make sure you get on that has enough storage for cold beer/tent/tackle/ect.. Three of my buddies from Shreveport regularly drive to Austin to fish the Little Colorado and do a two or three day float trip and camp on the banks and eat the days catch...augmented with some sausage/steak from my market. I have a two-man ocean kayak that I take to Fort Morgan every summer's vacation and catch a bunch of trout/spanish mack/ladyfish/false albacore/bluefish and even reeled in a remora in the surf last time.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Been kayak fishing for years. Don't worry about the size of the fish. I've caught 30+ inch redfish from a 9ft kayak. I have fallen in love with my Ambush hybrid sinc eI can hook up the trolling motor, stand/sit, go gar/frog gigging easily, etc... I recommend trying it with a friend's kayak before you buy. I'm sure someone will let you borrow one. If you like it, buy a good SOT like a Heritage or Hobie. Things like the Hobie Mirage drive (the feet thing) are nice, but really expensive, + you can't get one used...

Yeah, I figured the SOT would be the way to go here in Florida. It sounds like y'all are enjoying it. I may rent one a few times. They have a lot of kayak fishing groups that go out on weekends. It's something like $30 for the boat and you go with a guide. I may try that.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Yeah, I figured the SOT would be the way to go here in Florida. It sounds like y'all are enjoying it. I may rent one a few times. They have a lot of kayak fishing groups that go out on weekends. It's something like $30 for the boat and you go with a guide. I may try that.
    That would be an awesome way to try it out. Heck... that would probably have kept me from buying my own boat. :-)

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Pond Prowler 8'
    fits in the back of a pickup and weighs 110#
    prewired for trolling motor

Bass Pro Shop $550 + tax

+ Reply to Thread