+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great article on Sonja Hogg

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

Great article on Sonja Hogg

I found this great article talking in detail about how Sonja Hogg started the Lady Techsters program. There are some great quotes from Hogg, Barmore, and Pat Summitt.

It was written to honor Hogg for being inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame this week.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/jun/10/061109hall/

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Great article on Sonja Hogg

Great article and MAN can I remember her being decked out. Flashy doesn't even begin to describe her back then. The place would be packed and she would make her entrance to very loud applause as the Techsters made their entrance to the theme from "Rocky" for a long time.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Coach Hogg is also being inducted into the Louisiana Sports HoF this summer. She joins Barmore and a host of Techsters already in.

Willie Roaf is also being inducted this summer.

For those that don't know, the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame is located in Natchitoches and construction has begun on a brand new facility. It was housed in the airplane hanger on NSU's campus...er, Prather, for decades.

My daughter was active in basketball the summer Barmore went in, so I took her to most of the events, which included a coaching clinic. Rudy Macklin, former LSU hoops' star, was also being inducted that summer, and during the clinic, I saw my little girl "schooling" Macklin and Barmore in a little one-on-one, hah!

But, tell ya what, Coach Mike McConathy called all the kids together and introduced Coach Leon Barmore for a little talk on the fundamentals of basketball. You could have heard a pin drop. I stood back and watched the kids as they listened to him. They were mesmerized. Remember the commercials, when E.F Hutton talks, everyone listens...well.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Coach Hogg is also being inducted into the Louisiana Sports HoF this summer. She joins Barmore and a host of Techsters already in.

Willie Roaf is also being inducted this summer.

For those that don't know, the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame is located in Natchitoches and construction has begun on a brand new facility. It was housed in the airplane hanger on NSU's campus...er, Prather, for decades.

My daughter was active in basketball the summer Barmore went in, so I took her to most of the events, which included a coaching clinic. Rudy Macklin, former LSU hoops' star, was also being inducted that summer, and during the clinic, I saw my little girl "schooling" Macklin and Barmore in a little one-on-one, hah!

But, tell ya what, Coach Mike McConathy called all the kids together and introduced Coach Leon Barmore for a little talk on the fundamentals of basketball. You could have heard a pin drop. I stood back and watched the kids as they listened to him. They were mesmerized. Remember the commercials, when E.F Hutton talks, everyone listens...well.

Great stories! Thanks!

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Here is another one from the Alexandria Town Talk

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/2...ech-into-power

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    Here is another one from the Alexandria Town Talk

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/2...ech-into-power
    Great article! Thanks Blue Collar!

Big Dog ESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her game ESPNGuy's Avatar

I happy Hogg is getting all the recognition and praise she deserves. Things did not pan out at Baylor for her but she is a great coach and wonderful person...but on what I've read about her...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

If you can point to a pivotal event in Techster history, this was it:

So the 1978-79 schedule included a trip to California for games with Pepperdine, UCLA and Southern California.

A week before they made that trip, the Techsters attracted national attention with a 64-56 victory over No. 1-ranked Tennessee in a Mississippi tournament. Before that game, the Techsters' only victory over a nationally-ranked team was a one-point squeaker past No. 17 Stephen F. Austin the previous season.

The trip to California was the first time most of the players and some members of the staff had ever been on an airplane. When they returned to Shreveport after winning all three games, they learned they were ranked No. 8. By the end of the season, when they lost to Old Dominion in the national finals, they were No. 2.

Dave Nitz called the games, and I remember hearing the awesome USC fightsong playing in the background as our Techsters completed the west coast sweep. We had arrived on the national scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnuD4...eature=related

Their band grew really quiet....

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

So the 1978-79 schedule included a trip to California for games with Pepperdine, UCLA and Southern California.

A week before they made that trip, the Techsters attracted national attention with a 64-56 victory over No. 1-ranked Tennessee in a Mississippi tournament. Before that game, the Techsters' only victory over a nationally-ranked team was a one-point squeaker past No. 17 Stephen F. Austin the previous season.

The trip to California was the first time most of the players and some members of the staff had ever been on an airplane. When they returned to Shreveport after winning all three games, they learned they were ranked No. 8. By the end of the season, when they lost to Old Dominion in the national finals, they were No. 2.

Dave Nitz called the games, and I remember hearing the awesome USC fightsong playing in the background as our Techsters completed the west coast sweep. We had arrived on the national scene.

Yes, a very pivotal road trip! And F. Jay got permission from UCLA to steal one of their fight songs to use as the Lady Techster fight song to commemorate the road trip.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

That California road trip included a win over the defending national champion UCLA Lady Bruins. I think that particular victory was the turning point for the Lady Techsters.

HD

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Yes, a very pivotal road trip! And F. Jay got permission from UCLA to steal one of their fight songs to use as the Lady Techster fight song to commemorate the road trip.
    So THAT'S when the band started playing Sons of Westwood. I had always wondered that.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDawg View Post
    So THAT'S when the band started playing Sons of Westwood. I had always wondered that.
    Now you know.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Now you know.
    We just do it better.....:icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog DawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really niceDawgUSN is just really nice

Big Dog ESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her gameESPNGuy is on top of his/her game ESPNGuy's Avatar

That's a great history lesson for a young buck like me. I wasn't even born in 1979.

+ Reply to Thread