+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Soccer: Much, Much better!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

US Soccer: Much, Much better!

It was Egypt, but an Egyptian side that had been playing very well. And, it was no fluke. Total domination by the US!

Now, I hope to see a great effort vs. Spain on Wednesday, the #1 ranked team in the world right now.

I do not agree with Harkes' criticism of Dempsey. Yeah, I see his point about some lax defensive play at times, but bear in mind, Clint Dempsey has played every minute of the three matches in this tourney, plus all the minutes in all the World Cup qualifiers too. If you've never played the sport, you cannot appreciate how grueling it can be, especially for midfielders. They run up to 10 miles in games, covering long sprints of 60-80 yards repeatedly. Dempsey needs a rest. But! not until after Wednesday.

Shock the world. Beat Spain!

U S A !

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Re: US Soccer: Much, Much better!

The overall team performance in the first two CC matches was subpar to say the least, but playing with 10 men half the time was probably a large reason why.

I don't expect a blowout by Spain if the US plays as it did today. Considering the strength of its group (probably better than any World Cup group could ever be), advancing is a success. Hopefully the team will relax, play well with the pressure off, and add some gravy on top in its next two games.

Wouldn't want to be flying back to Italy tomorrow...the Italian media will be brutal.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Since we are on our way to becoming a third world country, it only makes sense for us to get better at their sports.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

man, we had a good time watching the two games earlier today - good time. Egypt played up to the potential of their opponents throughout this tournament Italy - they suck. Their midfield couldn't hold the ball, their strikers were zero factor, and their defense was a big joke.
    and dawg80, that Harkes guy just talked shit out of his ass. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about the whole game - it was annoying to listen to him.
    The US team problem lying in their defense - they are just too slow and not talented enough to play against top 15 teams. Spain will tear the US defense apart with their brutal forwards (Torres and Villa). Onyewu is big but too slow. He will have a hard time to mark someone like Torres. I hope Bradley can come up with a good game plan for Weds showdown.
    It will be huge momentum for the World Cup if US can pull off an upset on Weds - HUGE...

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

It was Egypt, but an Egyptian side that had been playing very well. And, it was no fluke. Total domination by the US!

Now, I hope to see a great effort vs. Spain on Wednesday, the #1 ranked team in the world right now.

I do not agree with Harkes' criticism of Dempsey. Yeah, I see his point about some lax defensive play at times, but bear in mind, Clint Dempsey has played every minute of the three matches in this tourney, plus all the minutes in all the World Cup qualifiers too. If you've never played the sport, you cannot appreciate how grueling it can be, especially for midfielders. They run up to 10 miles in games, covering long sprints of 60-80 yards repeatedly. Dempsey needs a rest. But! not until after Wednesday.

Shock the world. Beat Spain!

U S A !
    Yep, I agree, Dempsey is skilled and athletic but he is obviously exhausted. Aside from the World Cup Qualifiers and this particular tournament he just finished playing an entire August to May season in the EPL which is the best league in the world and extremely physical and grueling. I am very happy to see he along with most of our European players that get major minutes have been left off of the Gold Cup Roster. W'ell give these guys a break and then go into Azteca in August and kick Mexico's ass.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    man, we had a good time watching the two games earlier today - good time. Egypt played up to the potential of their opponents throughout this tournament Italy - they suck. Their midfield couldn't hold the ball, their strikers were zero factor, and their defense was a big joke.
    and dawg80, that Harkes guy just talked shit out of his ass. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about the whole game - it was annoying to listen to him.
    The US team problem lying in their defense - they are just too slow and not talented enough to play against top 15 teams. Spain will tear the US defense apart with their brutal forwards (Torres and Villa). Onyewu is big but too slow. He will have a hard time to mark someone like Torres. I hope Bradley can come up with a good game plan for Weds showdown.
    It will be huge momentum for the World Cup if US can pull off an upset on Weds - HUGE...

Overall I agree but I disagree with the too slow comment. If you listen to the Italian, Brazilian and Egyptian and actually most of our opponents coaches talk about us that is usually what they praise us for. They say we are very athletic, fast, strong and physical. Then they go on to say we are not strong technically which is very true. Unfortunately you are dead on when it comes to the talent part. Our entire youth system is to blame. We focus on wins and losses instead of player development like they do in Europe and South America. My son is very young but he played for one of the top clubs in the country and trust me they could care less about player development. It is all about winning tournaments and winning league games so they can attract more players and make more money. My son's new coach is from Spain and he was telling me how they don't even have tournaments for the real young kids in Europe. They have a minimum 3-1 practice to game ratio. Over here our kids are sent to tournaments where they play 3-5 times in one weekend. Another problem is our kids are taught to quickly pass the ball upfield and win on their athleticism rather than their creativity. They are often scolded if they try a trick like stepovers or a Cruyff. Thats why when they get older they so rarely score through the run of play. It is always through set pieces or long ball passing where we hope to get lucky and force a foul and get another set piece or PK. Look at how creative the Spanish, Brazilain and Italian teams are and then watch our robots play. Our players simply aren't comfortable when they have the ball and are pressured. This goes back to when they were younger and were always told to spread out and pass the ball instead of take on the defenders and beat them off the dribble. It's really sad.

If any of you are really into soccer and interested in why America lags behind Europe and South America ESPN did an excellent 5 part series on it. Here is the link:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...oot=us&cc=5901

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post

If any of you are really into soccer and interested in why America lags behind Europe and South America ESPN did an excellent 5 part series on it. Here is the link:

Thanks for link, bigdog. me and my friend, we talked about the exact same thing today after the game.
    And what I talked about slow is the defenders - not the midfielder or forwards.
    By the way, don't know if you guys remember about Lee Nguyen - a big promising player for the US 3 years ago - who signed a contract with PSV - Guss Hiddink's side in 2005 or not. He is playing professional football in Vietnam now and doing pretty good there. I'm not sure what is the problem but Bradley never take a look at him. From what I heard, he is a really creative midfielder - just a bit too small (Donovan's side).

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    Thanks for link, bigdog. me and my friend, we talked about the exact same thing today after the game.
    And what I talked about slow is the defenders - not the midfielder or forwards.
    By the way, don't know if you guys remember about Lee Nguyen - a big promising player for the US 3 years ago - who signed a contract with PSV - Guss Hiddink's side in 2005 or not. He is playing professional football in Vietnam now and doing pretty good there. I'm not sure what is the problem but Bradley never take a look at him. From what I heard, he is a really creative midfielder - just a bit too small (Donovan's side).

Lee Nguyen is awesome. I'm surprised to hear he is playing in Vietnam now instead of Europe. I heard he was one of the best players in the Dallas Classic League a few years ago. One of my old co-workers son's played against him and used to always talk about how great he was. I was always expecting him to get a call up from Bradley and it just never happened.

...If I haven't said it yet, I'm not too impressed with Bradley.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Overall I agree but I disagree with the too slow comment. If you listen to the Italian, Brazilian and Egyptian and actually most of our opponents coaches talk about us that is usually what they praise us for. They say we are very athletic, fast, strong and physical. Then they go on to say we are not strong technically which is very true. Unfortunately you are dead on when it comes to the talent part. Our entire youth system is to blame. We focus on wins and losses instead of player development like they do in Europe and South America. My son is very young but he played for one of the top clubs in the country and trust me they could care less about player development. It is all about winning tournaments and winning league games so they can attract more players and make more money. My son's new coach is from Spain and he was telling me how they don't even have tournaments for the real young kids in Europe. They have a minimum 3-1 practice to game ratio. Over here our kids are sent to tournaments where they play 3-5 times in one weekend. Another problem is our kids are taught to quickly pass the ball upfield and win on their athleticism rather than their creativity. They are often scolded if they try a trick like stepovers or a Cruyff. Thats why when they get older they so rarely score through the run of play. It is always through set pieces or long ball passing where we hope to get lucky and force a foul and get another set piece or PK. Look at how creative the Spanish, Brazilain and Italian teams are and then watch our robots play. Our players simply aren't comfortable when they have the ball and are pressured. This goes back to when they were younger and were always told to spread out and pass the ball instead of take on the defenders and beat them off the dribble. It's really sad.

I don't know that I agree that 'spreading the field and passing the ball' is such a bad idea. Yeah, at times, players need to hold the ball. Perhaps US players are too quick to pass. That's especially true when they are not pressured. I even commented (to myself) during the match yesterday, a couple of times, why did the US player pass? He was on the dribble and not pressured, then passed to a player who was marked! In those situations, yeah, we are too quick to pass. But overall, I think that creating space and crisp passing is a good idea.

BTW, Spain is riding a 15-game win streak, and I think they can set the all-time record of 16 wins in a row, in international matches, Wednesday. They are also 34-0-2 in their last 36 matches. That's pretty salty!

Shock the world!

Beat Spain!

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Since we are on our way to becoming a third world country, it only makes sense for us to get better at their sports.
    I thought we were becoming European, and I figured that is why you were trying to get us interested in Formula 1.

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

After the ungodly number of crosses that Gooch has cleared the past 4 or 5 games, he's going to have to really regress for me to buy any criticism on him. He had that one goofy-ass attempt at a block against Italy on De Rossi's shot from distance, but other than that he's been rock solid at CB. He'll have his hands full with Torres, but Torres likes to go to the air as well which plays to Onyewu's strength. If someone wants to pick a spot on our back line to be concerned about, look no further than left back and Bornstein. He's been getting torched out wide regularly. Even before Clark was sent off, Cameronessi looked like he was playing in the middle of an empty cow pasture in that first game with all the space he found on the sides. The combination of he and Dempsey has really hurt us defensively on that side.

To continue nitpicking a match I was otherwise thrilled with, it wasn't Dempsey's defensive (non) efforts that got me upset. It's his laziness on the ball and the unsettling number of easy giveaways which lead immediately to numbers for the opposition in the attacking third. There was one sequence in particular yesterday (before he got moved up top) where he gave the ball away easily in the midfield, ended up regaining possession out wide after (I believe) a failed cross, then turned it right back over in the short corner to a single defender who didn't even have to tackle to get the ball from him. I don't expect him to be a great defender, but I do expect someone of his skill level to be able to control the ball and be creative while not having 5 or more easy giveaways per match.

I'd like to see Bocanegra move to Bornstein's spot once Boca's ready to go, leaving DeMerit in there beside Gooch at CB. Spector has done really, really well IMO and should have cemented the RB spot. Those four would be pretty good on the back line once we get back to WCQ.

I thought Donovan played fanstastically for the most part and hustled his ass off pairing up with Spector and Bradley very well. Just one thing: when you get into a spot 1 v 1 with the opposing keeper, TAKE THE SHOT.

And for the love of Pele, please tell me we've seen the last of DeMarcus Beasley and Sasha Kljestein on the A team. There are so many better options.

More criticism of Dempsey. That's amazing. Yeah, I agree, he did not play well defensively, and yes, I recall a few lazy passes yesterday. I chalk all of that up to fatigue. At least, until I see that subpar play continue while well rested, I am willing to give CD the benefit of the doubt. He has been a workhorse for the US side.

When is Frankie Heyduk (sp?) coming back?

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

The center of our defense is stout. The wings are as weak as any in the world. Almost all of the goals we give up start on the wings, the left especially has been weak recently. There is a gap between our young players and our experience, there is talent there, but it just needs caps. It will get a good run here coming up.

Lee has the same problem Adu has, he will make an amazing play or have a great game and then disappear for long stretches on the international level.

I don't know what levels of local soccer some of you are watching either but having coached HS and club in Louisiana and Dallas I know we teach individual technical ability and we stress beating the first two defenders on the ball before passing unless you are truly able to disect the defense with a laser.

I wouldn't have taken Clint Dempsey off the field, and I am sure he is exhausted especially after such a great season at Fulham. Harkes overreacts, but his point about CD not hustling back on defense is true even when he is rested, it has been that way since HS. It's just part of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by jlam View Post
    After the ungodly number of crosses that Gooch has cleared the past 4 or 5 games, he's going to have to really regress for me to buy any criticism on him. He had that one goofy-ass attempt at a block against Italy on De Rossi's shot from distance, but other than that he's been rock solid at CB. He'll have his hands full with Torres, but Torres likes to go to the air as well which plays to Onyewu's strength. If someone wants to pick a spot on our back line to be concerned about, look no further than left back and Bornstein. He's been getting torched out wide regularly. Even before Clark was sent off, Cameronessi looked like he was playing in the middle of an empty cow pasture in that first game with all the space he found on the sides. The combination of he and Dempsey has really hurt us defensively on that side.

To continue nitpicking a match I was otherwise thrilled with, it wasn't Dempsey's defensive (non) efforts that got me upset. It's his laziness on the ball and the unsettling number of easy giveaways which lead immediately to numbers for the opposition in the attacking third. There was one sequence in particular yesterday (before he got moved up top) where he gave the ball away easily in the midfield, ended up regaining possession out wide after (I believe) a failed cross, then turned it right back over in the short corner to a single defender who didn't even have to tackle to get the ball from him. I don't expect him to be a great defender, but I do expect someone of his skill level to be able to control the ball and be creative while not having 5 or more easy giveaways per match.

I'd like to see Bocanegra move to Bornstein's spot once Boca's ready to go, leaving DeMerit in there beside Gooch at CB. Spector has done really, really well IMO and should have cemented the RB spot. Those four would be pretty good on the back line once we get back to WCQ.

I thought Donovan played fanstastically for the most part and hustled his ass off pairing up with Spector and Bradley very well. Just one thing: when you get into a spot 1 v 1 with the opposing keeper, TAKE THE SHOT.

And for the love of Pele, please tell me we've seen the last of DeMarcus Beasley and Sasha Kljestein on the A team. There are so many better options.
    I totally agree with everything you posted. Bocanegra plays left back for his club so he would be just fine there. Spector has been VERY impressive also starts at right for an EPL team. There is you back line.

Beasley and Kljesten continue to play because while they are terrible they are very predicable which is what Bradley likes. Heaven forbid we start someone with some creativity like Feilhaber,Jose Torres or Freddy Adu.

One reason Donovan is looking so good is he is VERY hard to stop when he is coming at you full speed. He is much better attacking from the MF than he is from the Striker/Forward position.

I wouldn't let Eddie Johnston, Pierce, Beasley or Kljestan anywhere near the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I don't know that I agree that 'spreading the field and passing the ball' is such a bad idea. Yeah, at times, players need to hold the ball. Perhaps US players are too quick to pass. That's especially true when they are not pressured. I even commented (to myself) during the match yesterday, a couple of times, why did the US player pass? He was on the dribble and not pressured, then passed to a player who was marked! In those situations, yeah, we are too quick to pass. But overall, I think that creating space and crisp passing is a good idea.

BTW, Spain is riding a 15-game win streak, and I think they can set the all-time record of 16 wins in a row, in international matches, Wednesday. They are also 34-0-2 in their last 36 matches. That's pretty salty!

Shock the world!

Beat Spain!
    I was talking about when they are at YOUTH level. That is where you learn to be comfortable on the ball and handling pressure on the ball so when you are older you have a good first touch, creativity, and can handle pressure when it is applied without panicing the way Beasley and Kljestan do.

+ Reply to Thread