+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lance

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Lance

You don't have to be a cycling fan to appreciate the athleticism of Lance Armstrong. Shortly, (today) he will once again pound the peddles on the roads of France. He is not one of the very top favorites to win it all, but I wouldn't count him out either!

More importantly, he is riding to bring renewed attention to a more critical issue: beating cancer. Thursday we buried a friend and former colleague, dead at age 46, of cancer. Another dear friend, age 39, has mere weeks left, losing her battle to cancer. Two years ago we buried another friend, dead at 40, of cancer.

We all can type the above paragraph as we all know people that have been impacted by cancer. And I personally have twice gone under the knife to have cancerous tumors removed. I am one of the lucky ones, so far, my cancer has been operative. I have some scars from the experience, which is nothing in comparison to young people losing the ultimate battle.

Ya know, with the negative pub we see in sports....steroid use, greedy, self-serving professionals putting the good of the sport aside, in favor of personal gain, cheating in collegiate athletics, etc... it's good to see someone like Lance who simply loves his sport and honors it thru his actions.

Recently I was driving along a highway and came up on a cyclist, as I eased by him I yelled out "Go get 'em, Lance!" I watched his reaction in my mirror, he grinned then gave me a thumbs' up.

Sports, indeed the world, needs more Lances.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Lance

Lance Armstrong was the best there ever was. But he really needs to learn to live as something other than a cyclist. He's more than just a cyclist......but unfortunately he just can't see it. He needs to learn to let it go.....I feel like I'm watching a retired boxer come back for the 5th time.

HD

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Lance Armstrong was the best there ever was. But he really needs to learn to live as something other than a cyclist. He's more than just a cyclist......but unfortunately he just can't see it. He needs to learn to let it go.....I feel like I'm watching a retired boxer come back for the 5th time.

HD
    Or Brett Favre.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post

HD
    He did finish 10th in the opening ITT. He beat 170 other riders. Maybe those 170 fellows should seek something other than cycling.

Yeah, I know, most of those 170 didn't try very hard as a time trial is not their forte. But, LA did beat a bunch of riders who did give it their best shot. Lance is not the best, anymore, heck! he's not even the best on his own team (finished 4th among Astana riders). I hope Lance will accept the role as lieutenant for Contador. If he does, he'll add best "domestique" of all time to his resume'.

But, for now, he deserves the right to be in the Tour. He is still among the best in cycling. This is not some "oh, I can't look" sorry display. He is still a legit pro cyclist.

Besides, Lance said that this return to cycling is designed to bring renewed attention to his Livestrong organization's efforts to fight cancer. It has done that.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Copy that, Dawg80.

Afterall, what does HD know??
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Copy that, Dawg80.

Afterall, what does HD know??
    I know that you are just jealous of my golf game.

HD

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

I'm pretty sure this is like a hobby for him now. He wanted to ride competitively again and the Tour de France is where he likes to compete. Its kind of like hearing about Michael Phelps swim at races other than the Olympics. Neither win 100 percent the time, but they're comfortable at these meets. Lance has really gotten into the whole entrepreneur thing the last few years. He's doing lots of stuff around Austin. If yall are ever there go check out his bike shop, it's nuts.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmcguirt23 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is like a hobby for him now. He wanted to ride competitively again and the Tour de France is where he likes to compete. Its kind of like hearing about Michael Phelps swim at races other than the Olympics. Neither win 100 percent the time, but they're comfortable at these meets. Lance has really gotten into the whole entrepreneur thing the last few years. He's doing lots of stuff around Austin. If yall are ever there go check out his bike shop, it's nuts.
    They set up a screen outside the bike shop on Saturday and showed the Stage 1 in the parking lot complete with hotties in yellow miniskirts for photos. Then that night they screened the classic "Breaking Away". I love Austin.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Holy Sh*t! The man takes third in OC on a day/stage when that just doesn't happen.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

He's taking Yellow tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what happens on the side of that mountain on Friday. Lance beat Alberto today with experience. He knew he had to be in the right place coming around that turn. I like how he said after the race, "it doesn't take a genious to figure that out". Excellent team riding by Columbia HTC.

Both Lance and especially Cavendish were talking smack after yesterday's stage. If you can back it up, it ain't bragging!

LA in 3rd, overall. Imagine that.

Fabian Cancellera is no slouch either. He is a powerful rider. Give him credit for jumping that curb to get into that break-away. He saw it happening and took off, leaving his team behind.

I bet Contador didn't enjoy the team meal too much last night. But, tell ya what, to me, the only team that can beat Astana....is Astana. Saw it happen to T-Mobile when they were loaded with talent: Kloden, Ullrich, Vinokourov, and to CSC, when they were equally loaded: Julich, Voight, etc... never could unite behind a single rider, and as a result, never won the Tour.

It could happen to Astana too.

I did notice that Lance had Popo and Rubelida with him in that break-away. Those two were with Lance during the Postal days. Hmmm, old teammates uniting?

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    More importantly, he is riding to bring renewed attention to a more critical issue: beating cancer. Thursday we buried a friend and former colleague, dead at age 46, of cancer. Another dear friend, age 39, has mere weeks left, losing her battle to cancer. Two years ago we buried another friend, dead at 40, of cancer.

Just got a phone call, my friend passed last night. She leaves behind two kids, ages 14 and 11.

Also, over the weekend, the daughter of the former mayor of Natchitoches, Joe Sampite, passed away, also from cancer. Sharon was 40ish, and leaves behind a daughter, age 15.

Cancer is killing young, healthy people. Healthy? Yeah, except for the cancer, these were all active, athletic people. Years ago another close friend, John Storrs passed away from cancer, age 49. He's the dad of Josh Storrs who you may remember was kicker for Tech in 1999. John played soccer with us on Sunday afternoons, he coached and was active and healthy. He died 11 months after being diagnosed with cancer. One of the city's soccer fields has been renamed: John Storrs Memorial Field. A well-deserved honor since he so selflessly gave so much time as a volunteer to the city's youth soccer league.

Sorry....this is probably too heavy for a forum like this. But, we all need to be reminded that cancer is a killer and Lance Armstrong's organization is at least attempting to fight it.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't heard anything about Robbie McEwen this year. What's up?

He's joined a team that's not riding on the Tour. Why he did, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Just got a phone call, my friend passed last night. She leaves behind two kids, ages 14 and 11.

Also, over the weekend, the daughter of the former mayor of Natchitoches, Joe Sampite, passed away, also from cancer. Sharon was 40ish, and leaves behind a daughter, age 15.

Cancer is killing young, healthy people. Healthy? Yeah, except for the cancer, these were all active, athletic people. Years ago another close friend, John Storrs passed away from cancer, age 49. He's the dad of Josh Storrs who you may remember was kicker for Tech in 1999. John played soccer with us on Sunday afternoons, he coached and was active and healthy. He died 11 months after being diagnosed with cancer. One of the city's soccer fields has been renamed: John Storrs Memorial Field. A well-deserved honor since he so selflessly gave so much time as a volunteer to the city's youth soccer league.

Sorry....this is probably too heavy for a forum like this. But, we all need to be reminded that cancer is a killer and Lance Armstrong's organization is at least attempting to fight it.
    Dawg80, I'm very sorry to hear about your friends passing. It sounds like you are going through allot of trials these days. Please accept our condolences to the families and friends of these people.

HD

+ Reply to Thread