+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scoring Question

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Scoring Question

As a caveat, say the first baseman is guarding against a bunt and the ball is hit sharply past him and hits the runner on 1st behind him, the ball is not dead and the play continues

are you sure about this one?

Is there a different rule for a guy standing on 3rd? Runner must be in foul territory or he is out right?

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    What's the difference in those 2 scenarios?? A batter hits the ball to the wall has NO CHANCE of being put out, but the runner at second breaks his leg, so that's a Fielder's Choice, but if the SS makes a diving stop and has NO CHANCE to get the batter and instead gets the runner, then it's a hit???

You are contradicting your own OPINION.
    No. I think you misread my post. A batter can never be credited with a hit under any circumstances that leads to another runner being forced out.

And it isn't an opinion. Follow that link and read the rulebook. It is all in there and it is pretty straightforward.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    As a caveat, say the first baseman is guarding against a bunt and the ball is hit sharply past him and hits the runner on 1st behind him, the ball is not dead and the play continues

Is there a different rule for a guy standing on 3rd? Runner must be in foul territory or he is out right?
    The difference is if it has passed the fielder yet. If a ball passes the First Baseman and hits a runner it is a live ball (Rule 7.09k). In the 3rd baseline scenario, if the ball hits the runner in fair territory, it almost certainly has not passed the third baseman, so the runner would be out and the batter would move to first base and it would be ruled a hit. The reason you want to be in foul territory is so that you don't lose a runner on third base in exchange for the batter getting to first base.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Still consistent with the ball hit to the wall scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    No. I think you misread my post.
    I did mis-read it... I apoligize.

I know the REAL rules for Baseball.... not the statistical crap. :icon_wink:

If a batted ball passes a fielder besides the pitcher and then hits a runner, then yes, the ball is live and there is no call.

Now if it appears that the fielder intentionally kicks, swats, deflects the ball, then he is out for Runner Interference.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    The difference is if it has passed the fielder yet. If a ball passes the First Baseman and hits a runner it is a live ball (Rule 7.09k). In the 3rd baseline scenario, if the ball hits the runner in fair territory, it almost certainly has not passed the third baseman, so the runner would be out and the batter would move to first base and it would be ruled a hit. The reason you want to be in foul territory is so that you don't lose a runner on third base in exchange for the batter getting to first base.
    Bolded: If the interference was the third out? Had this happen last night and I rememberd what you said, but wasn't sure about third out. Someone told me it is scored as an unassisted out by the pitcher. That doesn't seem right. Would have been a base hit otherwise.

Ho-Do, I thought about you this morning while watching Sports Center. Did you see the double play at third base in one of the games last night? I'm not sure I can even describe the play.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Ho-Do, I thought about you this morning while watching Sports Center. Did you see the double play at third base in one of the games last night? I'm not sure I can even describe the play.
    No, I didn't see it. I was at the TECH game. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    No, I didn't see it. I was at the TECH game. What happened?
    MLB game. Runner on third got caught between third and home in a rundown. Runner on second advanced to third during the rundown. Both players were tagged out at third base.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

MLB game. Runner on third got caught between third and home in a rundown. Runner on second advanced to third during the rundown. Both players were tagged out at third base.
    Can't be unless the trial runner's foot was off the bag. Only the lead runner is out of two players are occupying the same bag.

Do you remember what game this was?? I'm trying to find some video.
    Last edited by DocMarvin362; 05-09-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Can't be unless the trial runner's foot was off the bag. Only the lead runner is out of two players are occupying the same bag.

Do you remember what game this was?? I'm trying to find some video.
    I think it was a top 10 play from Friday. I'll try to find it.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

They must have both been off the bag when tagged, bc like doc said, if both were on the bag the lead runner would be out. In this scenario, the lead runner is taught to stay in the pickle long enough for all runners to advance.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Okay, elementary scoring questions.
    (1) RF catches fly ball, throws to SS who tags 2nd Base and throws to 1B for base tag and triple play.

(2) SS catches line drive, steps on 2nd who didn't tag for double play.

(3) SS catches grounder, steps on 2nd for forceout and throws to 1B for double play.
    How are all these scored?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Okay, elementary scoring questions.
    (1) RF catches fly ball, throws to SS who tags 2nd Base and throws to 1B for base tag and triple play.

(2) SS catches line drive, steps on 2nd who didn't tag for double play.

(3) SS catches grounder, steps on 2nd for forceout and throws to 1B for double play.
    How are all these scored?
    Umm.... 9-6-3

6 (unassisted)

6-3

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Umm.... 9-6-3

6 (unassisted)

6-3
    Thanks, grandson was involved in three DPs in pitching machine regular season and they ended a game last night in district tourney with the TP.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread