+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scoring Question

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

Re: Scoring Question

I once had a triple play unassisted while playing center field. Someone told me they can't score it that way and I never understood his logic. This was 12 -year old league. Our second baseman wasn't very mobile (read wide and slow). Bases loaded, no outs. Someone hit a pop up to very short center field behind the second baseman. I thought the second baseman had it but trotted in a little. The wind blew it over toward straight away center and I realized the 2B had lost it. It looked like it was going to drop and the runners took off. I ran in as hard as I could and gloved it right off the ground. I was off balance and stumbling forward, my next step was on the bag (just happened to hit it, not on purpose) and and I collided with the runner from first and tagged him out of self defense. Since I held onto the ball, the batter flied out, the runner on second was doubled off and the runner from first was tagged out. When later I said I made a triple play, I was told that can't be scored that way from the outfield.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechDAG View Post
    I once had a triple play unassisted while playing center field. Someone told me they can't score it that way and I never understood his logic. This was 12 -year old league. Our second baseman wasn't very mobile (read wide and slow). Bases loaded, no outs. Someone hit a pop up to very short center field behind the second baseman. I thought the second baseman had it but trotted in a little. The wind blew it over toward straight away center and I realized the 2B had lost it. It looked like it was going to drop and the runners took off. I ran in as hard as I could and gloved it right off the ground. I was off balance and stumbling forward, my next step was on the bag (just happened to hit it, not on purpose) and and I collided with the runner from first and tagged him out of self defense. Since I held onto the ball, the batter flied out, the runner on second was doubled off and the runner from first was tagged out. When later I said I made a triple play, I was told that can't be scored that way from the outfield.
    No logic there. Any fielder (1-9) who makes three putouts on one play with no assists has to be credited with an unassisted triple play.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not looking at a rule book, and someone seems to have cited rules, but I've always understood a runner getting hit with a batted ball while running to the next base is out, the play is immediately ruled dead, and the play scored a fielder's choice. I could be wrong, but if a runner is out on the play while trying to advance, then I don't see how the hitter is awarded a hit. This is no different than a shortstop fielding a ball deep in the hole and throwing out a runner trying to advance to 3rd, despite having no chance at getting the hitter at 1st. This would be a hit with no runners on or if the runner stays put at 2nd, but since the runner was thrown out trying to advance, the play is scored a fielder's choice.
    Last edited by hambone29; 07-21-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I've learned from this thread that those keeping the "official" score book don't always know the rules. It's much easier just to note FC.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

The batter is awarded a single when the ball hits a runner primarily I guess since it usually happens when a runner going from first to second gets hit. Most of the time on those plays it would have been a clean single if it had not hit the runner. The hit is awarded so that the batter isn't penalized when the fielding team would not have made a play.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

So if a batted ball hits a runner going from 2nd to 3rd, and the ball appears to be a routine ground ball to the shortstop, is it scored a FC being that it clearly would not have been a hit? If so, then its obviously a judgement call by the scorer and can be scored as a hit or a FC.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    So if a batted ball hits a runner going from 2nd to 3rd, and the ball appears to be a routine ground ball to the shortstop, is it scored a FC being that it clearly would not have been a hit? If so, then its obviously a judgement call by the scorer and can be scored as a hit or a FC.
    Yes. The scorer should "assume" that the fielder would have made the stop, made a good throw and gotten the runner if he had a chance.

Puppy brian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nicebrian is just really nice brian's Avatar

watching texas and boston last night. runner on second was hit by the grounder making him out. the ss would have easily made the play at first butt the announcer said it would be ruled a hit. why?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    watching texas and boston last night. runner on second was hit by the grounder making him out. the ss would have easily made the play at first butt the announcer said it would be ruled a hit. why?
    No idea. According to everything that I know, it shouldn't be.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    It's up to the official scorer.. if he/she felt that the fielder had ANY chance to throw out the runner at 1st, then it should be ruled as a Fielder's Choice. If the batter-runner made the base with no real threat of being thrown out, then it should be ruled as a single and the runner was just forced out.

"the act of a fielder who handles a fair grounder and, instead of throwing to first base to put out the batter-runner, throws to another base in an attempt to put out a preceding runner."

That highlighted line and the wording is what gives me the opinion that I have. Luckily, Umpires don't have to worry about statistics. :icon_wink:
    Wrong. It is a fielders choice even if the guy breaks his leg running from first to second and the ball is hit off the wall and the outfielder walks back into the infield and tags the guy out. It doesn't matter. If the forced runner is put out before he reaches the base he must get to, it is a fielders choice.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Because that is the rule, regardless of what bases they are running between. Whoever was saying the rule is different 2nd to 3rd than it is 1st to 2nd is incorrect. Now, if the runner runs into the fielder trying to make a play, you don't get a hit. Most of this is covered in http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...ial_scorer.pdf As a caveat, say the first baseman is guarding against a bunt and the ball is hit sharply past him and hits the runner on 1st behind him, the ball is not dead and the play continues.
    Last edited by zharkins; 07-23-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zharkins View Post
    Wrong. It is a fielders choice even if the guy breaks his leg running from first to second and the ball is hit off the wall and the outfielder walks back into the infield and tags the guy out. It doesn't matter. If the forced runner is put out before he reaches the base he must get to, it is a fielders choice.
    Agreed, if the runner advancing gets put out before reaching second, it is a FC no matter what. The only gray area possibly is when a fielder tries to get the advancing runner out but fails to, thus both the runner and batter are safe. If the scorer believes that the fielder could have thrown the batter out at first, they will call it a FC. If it was a diving play and the only option was to try to get the runner advancing from first to second, but failed to do so, then it is a hit. Is that true?

Correct

What's the difference in those 2 scenarios?? A batter hits the ball to the wall has NO CHANCE of being put out, but the runner at second breaks his leg, so that's a Fielder's Choice, but if the SS makes a diving stop and has NO CHANCE to get the batter and instead gets the runner, then it's a hit???

You are contradicting your own OPINION.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    What's the difference in those 2 scenarios?? A batter hits the ball to the wall has NO CHANCE of being put out, but the runner at second breaks his leg, so that's a Fielder's Choice, but if the SS makes a diving stop and has NO CHANCE to get the batter and instead gets the runner, then it's a hit???

You are contradicting your own OPINION.
    No, it is a hit only if the runner going to second is safe and the scorer deems that it would have been a hit. If the runner is thrown out at second, then it is a FC. Still consistent with the ball hit to the wall scenario.

+ Reply to Thread