+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN 5 games to fear in the SEC

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Re: ESPN 5 games to fear in the SEC

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    They can be fired up all they want. The fact is, they don't have a solid QB to run a system that is based on solid QB play. The spread is notoriously difficult to pick up and they are working with upperclassmen who were recruited to play smash-mouth football, not the spread. They've got one great player on O and, lucky for us, he's a running back.

I just don't understand when folks act like all Auburn has to do is want it. Do you think they didn't want it last year when they beat MSU 3-2? Desire is great, but it can't win games by itself. I think Auburn will come along nicely before too long, but it's going to take time. Go dig up the Sports Illustrated where Rich Rod is talking about installing the spread at Tulane...it'll shed light on why we stand a great shot at the upset in this game.

Its not their offense that scares me, their strength is going to be on the defensive side of the ball. They are not going to kick to Livas, will we be able to sustain drives?

Big Dog coop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud of coop1448's Avatar

set low expectations than you wont be dissapointed I saym haha. All kidding aside we had a great season last year, we got a good staff with an entergetic coach, and look to be headed in the right direction. However we did it 1 season. We need to build consistency before Im going to go on the air and say we are ready to beat Auburn. Sorry Coop while I love the dawgs I got to be honest. I dont mind being wrong and I hope in this instance I am and feel free to call me up and say I told you so when it happens

Looking forward to doing so! Maybe you can put Jimmy on there to and I will call you both out! LOL. Just saying "shocked" is a little strong.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    Its not their offense that scares me, their strength is going to be on the defensive side of the ball. They are not going to kick to Livas, will we be able to sustain drives?
    Maybe, maybe not, but a low-scoring game ALWAYS favors the underdog. Ross has a knack for not blowing games. If we avoid pick-sixes and allowing special teams TDs, we've got a shot. They can plan not to kick to Livas, but those plans don't always work out. Are they gonna give us the ball on the 40 after every kick-off?

Oh, and mediocre offenses trying to install complicated systems can be a major liability.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

I hope we get plenty of fans to make the drive over for the game. We have a legit shot at pulling off the upset IMHO. I dont think it will be a high scoring game and the key will be field position/ ST play. That and the SEC refs. Make no mistake, we will be playing 11 against 15 on both sides of the ball.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, but a low-scoring game ALWAYS favors the underdog. Ross has a knack for not blowing games. If we avoid pick-sixes and allowing special teams TDs, we've got a shot. They can plan not to kick to Livas, but those plans don't always work out. Are they gonna give us the ball on the 40 after every kick-off?

Oh, and mediocre offenses trying to install complicated systems can be a major liability.
    This is a good point. They don't have running backs or receivers like the one's of the early part of this decade. They are putting in an offense that requires that you catch 12 passes on a 15 play drive. Can Auburn do that?

Also, they can key on Porter and Livas if they want, but Mitchell, Stuart, Tuminello, and others have the ability to step up. I think we can sustain drives because, as others have said, Ross seems more like a game manager than a game breaker. Unless he sees an opening and can run for it. I think he will have some chances to to that in this game too. With our system, Ross won't have to do it on his own like Luke or Tim had to do.

Big Dog coop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud of coop1448's Avatar

Mitchell, Stuart, Tuminello

Those are some of the ones who might benefit from that drill...

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coop1448 View Post
    Mitchell, Stuart, Tuminello

Those are some of the ones who might benefit from that drill...
    Dont forget about D-Mo. Man if that guy could catch he would be a weapon.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    This is a good point. They don't have running backs or receivers like the one's of the early part of this decade. They are putting in an offense that requires that you catch 12 passes on a 15 play drive. Can Auburn do that?

Also, they can key on Porter and Livas if they want, but Mitchell, Stuart, Tuminello, and others have the ability to step up. I think we can sustain drives because, as others have said, Ross seems more like a game manager than a game breaker. Unless he sees an opening and can run for it. I think he will have some chances to to that in this game too. With our system, Ross won't have to do it on his own like Luke or Tim had to do.

Yes they all have the ability but we need to see it on a consistent level. Guys we have the potential to play with just about everyone on our schedule we still havent seen it on a consistent level, we saw it one year. We barely beat NMSU on a miracle td, we survived Utah State and Auburn is head and shoulders better than those guys. Fact is we struggle with an athletic qb and it doesnt matter how bad the rest of the team is and Auburn is putting one out there.

Yes they all have the ability but we need to see it on a consistent level. Guys we have the potential to play with just about everyone on our schedule we still havent seen it on a consistent level, we saw it one year. We barely beat NMSU on a miracle td, we survived Utah State and Auburn is head and shoulders better than those guys. Fact is we struggle with an athletic qb and it doesnt matter how bad the rest of the team is and Auburn is putting one out there.
    I wouldn't gaurantee a win, but I think we can play with these guys. Guess we shall wait and see.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Yes they all have the ability but we need to see it on a consistent level.
    Wait, isn't this the opposite of the argument you're making for Auburn?

"They have all this ability, it doesn't matter what they did last season." Right?

For the record, I'm not positive you're wrong - but it's inconsistent to say that Auburn will win because they have ability (without having shown it) but Tech won't (even though they have ability, because they haven't consistently shown it either).

On the other hand, I'm worried about the game, too.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    I wouldn't gaurantee a win, but I think we can play with these guys. Guess we shall wait and see.

Like I said yesterday..IF We dont have to have Livas and Porter carry us and more playmakers evolve tech can be very, very good in 09. I'll wait and hope that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Wait, isn't this the opposite of the argument you're making for Auburn?

"They have all this ability, it doesn't matter what they did last season." Right?

For the record, I'm not positive you're wrong - but it's inconsistent to say that Auburn will win because they have ability (without having shown it) but Tech won't (even though they have ability, because they haven't consistently shown it either).

On the other hand, I'm worried about the game, too.

Well I think Auburn had a bump in the road, they dont tend to have back to back bad seasons, they have been again keyword Consistent program over time. But that was with Tuberville, hell chizik might run that thing into the ground. BTW you guys have some good answers and reasons I wish you would CALL in and talk about it on the radio. I love the football talk whether you agree with me or not.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Well I think Auburn had a bump in the road, they dont tend to have back to back bad seasons, they have been again keyword Consistent program over time. But that was with Tuberville, hell chizik might run that thing into the ground. BTW you guys have some good answers and reasons I wish you would CALL in and talk about it on the radio. I love the football talk whether you agree with me or not.
    Back-to-back bad seasons would be more consistent than good, then bad, then good again though wouldn't it?:icon_wink:

I would maybe call your show once in a while if I lived close enough. But to be honest (I think we've been through this before) when a sports talk show goes to the phones - I tend to go to another channel.

This is probably because I grew up as a non-Hog fan in Arkansas and as bad as homer radio hosts are - homer callers are worse. I just don't have much patience for non-professionals on the radio. I have a weird thing about coherence that sports shows callers (particularly in SEC country) can't seem to handle. It may not be an option when you don't have 3 all sports stations in the same market, but I almost never make it through even one phone call before I'm off to find something else.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Back-to-back bad seasons would be more consistent than good, then bad, then good again though wouldn't it?:icon_wink:

I would maybe call your show once in a while if I lived close enough. But to be honest (I think we've been through this before) when a sports talk show goes to the phones - I tend to go to another channel.

This is probably because I grew up as a non-Hog fan in Arkansas and as bad as homer radio hosts are - homer callers are worse. I just don't have much patience for non-professionals on the radio. I have a weird thing about coherence that sports shows callers (particularly in SEC country) can't seem to handle. It may not be an option when you don't have 3 all sports stations in the same market, but I almost never make it through even one phone call before I'm off to find something else.

Well played sir well played.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I think we have a chance to hang with them in this game. Offensively they are changing to a new scheme that I'm not convinced they have the right athletes to run as effectively as they would need to run up the score against us. I think our run defense is good enough to keep them from just running over us. Defensively, they are going to be tough, but I think Livas is a big enough threat to open some holes (at first) for some of our lesser known playmakers. I think we can jump to an early lead. Holding the lead might be a matter of turnovers and conditioning.

Isn't D-Mo a senior this year? If he has any ambition of playing at another level, he's going to want to make a statement at this game. I really feel the key for us is going to be our offensive line. If Ross can plant his feet, we'll be alright. If our boys can make the push necessary for us to get those third and ones, it's going to be a great day.

+ Reply to Thread