+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Thread for Smokers

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: A Thread for Smokers

I think Buzz and someone else earlier in the thread put it best - it is hard to imagine myself not smoking. It has become part of who I am - not just the nicotine. It is a behavior, as well. The behavior has weaved itself into part of what makes me "me". I think that might be hard for a non-smoker to understand. It is like if I stopped, it would change who I am.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

My grandfather on my mothers side smoked for 75 years till he figured out that the staff at the nursing home was smoking his cigarettes after they took them up at night. He quit cold turkey.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Cartek pickup line to a fat girl after 11:00pm: Do you smoke after sex?

Fat girl: I don't know, I've never looked.

Go ugly early!

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    I read that 40% of Americans smoked in 1974 and 26% of Americans smoke today. I think the reason is that America (and maybe the world) has effectively made smokers out to be pariahs.... you can't smoke at work, you can't smoke in restaurants, and sometimes, you can't smoke in bars. And they have effectively made non-smokers try to avoid smokers because "second-hand smoke kills too." The smoker is now looked upon as having some kind of disease that is threatening the planet. It's not only "not cool" anymore, but it is "a plaque to avoid." Another reason is that it has become unaffordable for kids (when most people start smoking). How many unemployed high school kids can spend $30 / week to feed their nicotine habit?
    From what I have read, the bolded is a huge part of it. Increasing taxes does not necessarily stop the 2 to 3 pack a day folks who are addicted. It stops the young folks who either are thinking about doing it, or they just started. Government will eventually just tax it into the ground. That is why "sin tax" are so popular with many people. It still raises revenue (because demand is inelastic among addicted users), it keeps people from starting to do it, and it affects an ever smaller minority. Win-win-win in a politician's book.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    From what I have read, the bolded is a huge part of it. Increasing taxes does not necessarily stop the 2 to 3 pack a day folks who are addicted. It stops the young folks who either are thinking about doing it, or they just started. Government will eventually just tax it into the ground. That is why "sin tax" are so popular with many people. It still raises revenue (because demand is inelastic among addicted users), it keeps people from starting to do it, and it affects an ever smaller minority. Win-win-win in a politician's book.
    Not good if the politicians are funding free health insurance for children solely on the backs of future smokers though. Where will the money come from when no one is smoking?

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_Won View Post
    Not good if the politicians are funding free health insurance for children solely on the backs of future smokers though. Where will the money come from when no one is smoking?
    They'll find something else, just like vultures always do. They will find some other sin that can have the same effect. I bet they will legalize weed eventually, just to go through the same pattern and cycle again. If not, alcohol, sugary foods and drink, they will find it.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Dippers always say that; smokers say the opposite.

I wouldn't know because I've never smoked.

??
    It makes sense that quitting dip is harder. Dip is mainlining the nicotine. If you are like I was, there is a constant dosage of nicotine throughout the day.

Smoking is "worse" for you because of the relative number of carcinogens, but smokeless is more addictive because of the constant presence of the nicotine.

I have "quit" using a number of techniques. I am convinced that the best way for most people is cold turkey.

For those who are thinking about quitting:

http://www.killthecan.org/

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

I'm tellin ya that quiting dipping is the easiest thing in the world to do. To date I think I've done it 20 times.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I've given my account of how I quit smoking on a thread a long while back, I don't think it was very popular as an option. Worked for me though.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

I have dipped and smoked since I was 14. Mostly dipped aside from lots of cigarettes in college while boozing.

Quit both of them in 2000 the day after the Penn State game. I continue to smoke on occasion after a few drinks, but can't stand it otherwise and hate myself the next morning for doing so. I stayed away from dip to the point I got sick one time after taking a dip after being clean for four years. I continued my dip free life for about 6.5 years total.

I picked up the dipping habit again full steam in Jan. 2007 after moving and starting a new job. I have battled this demon again for the last 2.5 years. I have quit about 4 times during this time from one week up to 3 months, but I keep going back. I am now 3 weeks off and have not had any real craving at all (which is very unusual) and I am not using anything to help me quit. The only thing I am doing different is training my ass off for a race later in the year. Maybe I am either too tired to think about it, too focused on my training, or maybe I have sweated all the crap out of my system.

And as a person who has experience in both cigs and dip, Dip, by far, is the most addictive. It isn't even a close contest.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten View Post
    I have dipped and smoked since I was 14. Mostly dipped aside from lots of cigarettes in college while boozing.

Quit both of them in 2000 the day after the Penn State game. I continue to smoke on occasion after a few drinks, but can't stand it otherwise and hate myself the next morning for doing so. I stayed away from dip to the point I got sick one time after taking a dip after being clean for four years. I continued my dip free life for about 6.5 years total.

I picked up the dipping habit again full steam in Jan. 2007 after moving and starting a new job. I have battled this demon again for the last 2.5 years. I have quit about 4 times during this time from one week up to 3 months, but I keep going back. I am now 3 weeks off and have not had any real craving at all (which is very unusual) and I am not using anything to help me quit. The only thing I am doing different is training my ass off for a race later in the year. Maybe I am either too tired to think about it, too focused on my training, or maybe I have sweated all the crap out of my system.

And as a person who has experience in both cigs and dip, Dip, by far, is the most addictive. It isn't even a close contest.
    You nailed it You are battling a demon. I don't know how many times I went back after saying "one dip wont hurt me". One dip and my brain picked up were I left off months before; it was like I never stopped dipping.

I am now at 200 days, but I don't think I can look any further than being quit for today.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

These devices have been issued to everyone in the !!!OBAMA!!! administration and are used 24-7 in Washington, D.C.

http://tiffehr.tumblr.com/post/13654...0s-the-tobacco

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I despise smoking. Won't say I despise smokers, hate the sin, not the sinner.

We have hired a contract associate at work, which I did not know at first, is a smoker. Others in the office are complaining. He goes outside into the parking lot to smoke, but his clothes and his breath reeeeeeks! He stinks! He's a great fellow, sharp as a tack. But, just yesterday we were at a meeting and a group of us were talking and I noticed several were creating distance between themselves and him. He turned toward me to say something and his breath......sheeesh!

A manager two rungs above me asked me recently when this guy's contract expires. I told him. He said, can't you find a non-smoker who can do this job?

Smokers, especially heavy smokers, have no idea how much they stink. You can tell them, most will acknowledge it to some extent, but they still are clueless just how bad it is. New laws have pretty much segregated smokers, and that's good. But their clothes, breath, cars, houses! Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I despise smoking. Won't say I despise smokers, hate the sin, not the sinner.

We have hired a contract associate at work, which I did not know at first, is a smoker. Others in the office are complaining. He goes outside into the parking lot to smoke, but his clothes and his breath reeeeeeks! He stinks! He's a great fellow, sharp as a tack. But, just yesterday we were at a meeting and a group of us were talking and I noticed several were creating distance between themselves and him. He turned toward me to say something and his breath......sheeesh!

A manager two rungs above me asked me recently when this guy's contract expires. I told him. He said, can't you find a non-smoker who can do this job?

Smokers, especially heavy smokers, have no idea how much they stink. You can tell them, most will acknowledge it to some extent, but they still are clueless just how bad it is. New laws have pretty much segregated smokers, and that's good. But their clothes, breath, cars, houses! Ugh!
    My old boss was a smoker and a coffee drinker, that is a lethal combo. Of course, he was the boss, so I had to bear through it. Some of the worst breath I have ever encountered. Until.....I went to my new job and my coworker smoked and ate tuna every other day. Smoke and tuna is way worse. It will make you throw up in your mouth a little.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

+ Reply to Thread