+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NCAA Football Recruiting Tutorial

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

NCAA Football Recruiting Tutorial

Alright. I've decided that I probably don't like the recruiting on the NCAA football games because I'm not very good at it. Some of you guys who are good at it, tell me your strategy. What is the key?

If I was able to land quality recruits, maybe I wouldn't mind it so much. I HATE it when I spend twice as much time recruiting as I do playing and then I don't get much reward for it.

In season and post-season recruiting tips welcome.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: NCAA Football Recruiting Tutorial

Once you've put 2-3 weeks into someone, you should see a good improvement on their interest. If it still seems low and has you out of the top 10, cut your ties and go after someone else. I've noticed that occasionally (maybe more often than I see), they will add a few players and occasionally it's a 4-star with no offers and such. Look for those guys when you are looking for someone new.

Gotta admit, that my recruiting often struggles the first couple of seasons before I get on a roll.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Once you've put 2-3 weeks into someone, you should see a good improvement on their interest. If it still seems low and has you out of the top 10, cut your ties and go after someone else. I've noticed that occasionally (maybe more often than I see), they will add a few players and occasionally it's a 4-star with no offers and such. Look for those guys when you are looking for someone new.

Gotta admit, that my recruiting often struggles the first couple of seasons before I get on a roll.
    Probably because Tech's school ratings suck when you first start.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

I go after the top 30-32 prospects that are interested in me first. Then I find the biggest or fastest guys..a 360# OL, a 6'8 DE, and/or a 4.16 3 star guy just for fun.

I go after the highest rated guys the hardest. I offer them when they put me in the top 4 schools.

As guys commit elsewhere, I replace them with the best available players that have no offers. This is really only effective after several weeks into the season because most guys don't get offers too early. This is how I get all of my offensive linemen. There's always about 10 to 12 3 or 4* OL with no offers later on in the season. Just offer them and they'll usually put you in their top schools.

As far as visits go, I like to get my guys in around week 11 or 12. If you do 13 or 14, they will have probably already visited a few schools and are more likely to commit to another school before they even visit yours. In the offseason, make sure you invite all the guys that are soft commits to another school in ASAP, before they become hard commits. Push the two "Very High" interests as well as the "Most".

This works for me, and I get about 5 five star commits and a handful of 4 star guys to Tech.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Okay, I've got advice on who to offer and when to cut them loose. What do y'all do in the actual recruiting process...just poke around until you find what he's interested in?

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Okay, I've got advice on who to offer and when to cut them loose. What do y'all do in the actual recruiting process...just poke around until you find what he's interested in?
    I usually do the quick call for the first few weeks to find his interest. Week 6 in my dynasty and I have a 4 and a 3 star committ from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    I usually do the quick call for the first few weeks to find his interest. Week 6 in my dynasty and I have a 4 and a 3 star committ from that.
    Do you wait to offer those big time guys or do you come right out from the beginning with an offer?

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Do you wait to offer those big time guys or do you come right out from the beginning with an offer?
    I usually offer early, especially if I have the chance to be their first offer.

I am sure there is a better system but I always offer early in hopes that it allows me to jump up their rankings quicker. Seems to work because when I started the season, only 2 stars were interested and I already have 2 commits higher than 2 stars. That said I did do a custom conference (modified Big XII) and beat Florida in the first week of the season.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

johnny --

i usually target the top 25-30 players who are interested in me, then go after some local 3- to 4-star guys who don't have me in the top 10 in hopes they'll add me. i offer everybody (unless it's a fallback option, which i usually don't have) by the end of week 2. if the guys don't add you to their list after 2-3 weeks, drop them and go after someone else. i've also noticed that better players will bump you up and add you to their list after a few weeks, so every week do a search for best available players to see if anyone adds you.

as far as each week, i usually just do the quick call for the first 4-5 weeks, until a player is ready for his official visit. then i'll schedule visits, and as the visits get closer, then i'll actually call and target specific interests.

like in real life, if your team improves you will start to get better recruits. i'm getting plenty of 4-star recruits in year 5 of my 09 game.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

I think what has happened is that I've gotten discouraged during my first year because I haven't gotten highly rated recruits. I simmed the first 5 weeks or so, but I've started actually doing the recruiting now. It's mainly two star guys because they higher rated guys who were interested have committed elsewhere. I guess I'll just see where we are come post-season recruiting and go from there. I assume that as my team gains more prestige, it will be easier to get higher rated recruits.

+ Reply to Thread