+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gates, Crowley, racism, and Obama

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: Gates, Crowley, racism, and Obama

I read the slate....they state that you don't have to identify yourself......but they fail to mention that if an investigation is underway, then you do. The police can't just burst into your home and demand ID. They can if there was a call about a break-in and they suspect you of breaking in. edit: it does qualify that with "probably cause" which they had in this case.

However, if the behavior did NOT meet the legal definition of disorderly conduct, then I wholeheartedly agree that he shouldn't have been arrested.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Apparently there might be a loophole in the disorderly conduct law, that says it doesn't apply to political speech, which includes alleging racism and protesting arrest.

If that is the case, then he shouldn't have been arrested.

My original point though, is that it was Gates himself who flew off the handle and started screaming about racism. He turned a regular investigation into a national story about race.

2 guys breaking into a house would hopefully generate a call to the police. Why did he assume it was based on racism?

He didn't get arrested for his color, he got arrested for acting like an ass, either justly or unjustly. And now we have national racism news.

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

It says the mayor (who is black) apologized...yadda yadda yadda. But the root question is not racial profiling to me, unless the dispatcher asked the original caller "is it a black guy or white guy breaking into that house?"

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

This may be race motivated or it may not. How could anyone know?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ buck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to behold

[quote=Guisslapp;776802]This may be race motivated or it may not. How could anyone know?[/quote

You are right it is hard to know... That being the case when is it ok to bring up race in a situation like this...?

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    This may be race motivated or it may not. How could anyone know?
    Well, he was claiming racial profiling BEFORE the arrest.....so that ain't it. I suppose he thinks the cops showed up because he was black.

Perhaps the one who called it in called it in because she saw black guys trying to force open a door. Maybe she would have been ok with white guys forcing open a door.

If the police get a call about a possible break-in in progress....do you think they would have not investigated had the suspects been white?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buck_dawg_gold View Post
    You are right it is hard to know... That being the case when is it ok to bring up race in a situation like this...?
    Well, it is certainly irresponsible as a distinguished black scholar to jump to conclusions and make accusations without a reasonable basis to believe that he received unfair treatment because of his race.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

I ask any brave white soul to go force some doors open in your 'hood and see if the police show up.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Sounds to me that gates was wearing HIS feelings on HIS sleeves.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Seems that Gates overreacted to the situation. Sounds like the cops overreacted as well in arresting him but if the arrest was justified (according to the law) you have to side with the cops on this one.

I hope that if two black/white/hispanic/martian men/women are breaking into my door I have a neighbor that would call the police. When the police show up and it was me breaking into my own house I think I would be happy to see them and explain the situation as I provide ID and prove that I live in the house. If I talk $hit to the cops then I understand there is a good chance they may arrest me.

The police officer probably should have just left and let it be the end of it. And if the man provided ID and proved residence in the house the officer should have given his name and badge number.

I don't know all of the facts but I tend to side with the cop on this one. I would love to see a video to make a descision.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

The police wanted the same thing that Gates wanted: Respect. To a certain extent, their own behaviors took any chance of mutual respect away. Gates' preexisting feelings towards the policies of the police were the cause of the very response he expected to receive. Had the police been better men than to stoop to this irrational person's rantings, then the situation could have been avoided. I understand both sides, and both sides are at least a little wrong. Very unfortunate, but this sort of things happens all of the time. I've been confronted by police in front of a grocery store trying to get the keys out of my 1981 El Camino. They approached me very seriously and I politely showed my identification and explained the situation. The police not only understood, but they got my keys out of the car and checked my registration to make sure I was the owner of the vehicle. It went so well because we showed eachother mutual respect throughout the entire process. After all, the citizen must understand that they are doing what I am paying them to do with my taxes... protecting MY property.

On a side note.... I don't understand why this merits a response from the President of the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    The police wanted the same thing that Gates wanted: Respect. To a certain extent, their own behaviors took any chance of mutual respect away. Gates' preexisting feelings towards the policies of the police were the cause of the very response he expected to receive. Had the police been better men than to stoop to this irrational person's rantings, then the situation could have been avoided. I understand both sides, and both sides are at least a little wrong. Very unfortunate, but this sort of things happens all of the time. I've been confronted by police in front of a grocery store trying to get the keys out of my 1981 El Camino. They approached me very seriously and I politely showed my identification and explained the situation. The police not only understood, but they got my keys out of the car and checked my registration to make sure I was the owner of the vehicle. It went so well because we showed eachother mutual respect throughout the entire process. After all, the citizen must understand that they are doing what I am paying them to do with my taxes... protecting MY property.

On a side note.... I don't understand why this merits a response from the President of the United States.

Gates is a personal friend of Obama, I've discovered.

here's a story that's pretty good

It looks like Crowley teaches the class on avoiding racial profiling at the academy. hahaha.

+ Reply to Thread