I've had this thought since there are as many opinions on music as there are opinions, do you think that people experience music differently? I know that there is something inherent in our humanness that draws us to music. Even those of us that do not dance well still enjoy swaying to the rhythms. But I think that people enjoy music on various levels. For instance I think that some people if you provide an appropriate hook and turn a phrase in lyrics that is in a way catchy, enjoy it immensely but then tire of the sound as it becomes too familiar. Others seem to be drawn to the complexity of the rhythms and patterns and lyrics seem to not matter at all. I had a friend of mine that is a professional musician, graduated from Tech with a music degree and the got his masters at USC (California) and today is a professional musician tell me "you can't hear music the way I do". I was not at all insulted by this because I assume it is true and he wasn't saying it to brag, just stating a fact.

For me I enjoy music on so many levels. I hear a lot of you talk about this band or that being crap, etc. I don't get that. There are sounds I don't like, the scream or throaty growl of some harder bands turns me off in an instance. I'm sure there is some redeeming quality in that type of music but I just can't get to it. For me it depends on my mood, but I can get lost in the most bland tune out there at times and at others can't stand to hear the same song. Or I can listen to a song that I have heard literally thousands of times an focus in on the bass line, or a drum part or whatever and find something new that I like. Other times the simplicity of a lyric can strike me as so poignant I wonder how it too so long for someone to think of it. Or I can listen to the rhythmic ramblings of Bob Dylan and wonder how anyone could ever think to say the things he said in that manner.

OK, so I'm turning into Spinoza here so I will wrap it up. In a nut shell as Hank Williams Jr once said, "you're the only one that you are screwing, when you put down what you don't understand".

Cheers,

Gonzo