+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 93,000+ in the Rose Bowl

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

93,000+ in the Rose Bowl

....for a soccer match, LA Galaxy vs. Barcelona. Good match.

Landon Donovan is playing the best soccer of his career. He has become, easily, one of the best 18 players in the world...meaning if you were to hand pick the ultimate soccer Dream Team, an 18-man roster, Donovan would be on it.

And, just read an article focusing on the pending USA vs Mexico WCQ in Mexico City, Aug 12th. We need this one. Not to qualify for the WC, nah, the US has moved past that point in development. But, more importantly, as a benchmark to see how far our program has come. Want to be a legit WC Final Four contender? Well, the US can take a step in that direction by ending the long drout of winning at Azteca Stadium.

Kind of like saying of Tech football...wanna be among the best? then win at Boise.

Looking forward to that match, August 12th.

USA!

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 93,000+ in the Rose Bowl

Good game.
    Mexico is not the big name team anymore like they used to be 4-5 years ago. I don't think they are even in the top 25 anymore. Matter of fact, I looked it up - Mexico ranking is 33 while US is 12. Mexico is no Boise here.
    Beating Mexico is always a good thing but beating Mexico won't tell us if the US team is a legit final four contender. For me, US team need to show that they can constantly handle top 15 teams - the like of Brazil, Spain, France, Italy, Argie, etc - to have legitimate shot at the last 4 teams. What I'm trying to say is, Mexico is no longer a measuring stick to see how far the US team can go in the next WC.
    Anyway, it is nice to have someone here like to talk about football/soccer.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latech View Post
    Good game.
    Mexico is not the big name team anymore like they used to be 4-5 years ago. I don't think they are even in the top 25 anymore. Matter of fact, I looked it up - Mexico ranking is 33 while US is 12. Mexico is no Boise here.
    Beating Mexico is always a good thing but beating Mexico won't tell us if the US team is a legit final four contender. For me, US team need to show that they can constantly handle top 15 teams - the like of Brazil, Spain, France, Italy, Argie, etc - to have legitimate shot at the last 4 teams. What I'm trying to say is, Mexico is no longer a measuring stick to see how far the US team can go in the next WC.
    Anyway, it is nice to have someone here like to talk about football/soccer.
    I agree that Mexico shsould no longer be our measuring stick but beating Mexico in Azteca???? Never done it before. As a matter of fact we have only mananged 1 tie. We are 0-22-1 in Mexico all time and there will be 110K people there hating us.

On top of that we aren't the only ones having a hard team winning there. Their record against all challengers in that stadium is astounding.

I agree with everything you said, just saying a win there wouldn't just be nice it would be very special. We are 0-22-1 in Mexico all time.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

my bad that I forgot the game being played in Azteca. So yes, it will be difficult to go in there and come out with a win. I predict that will be a tie.
    Anyway, I'm really excited about the future of the national team. As I believe, this team missing piece is a big time holding midfielder. Bradley needs to find someone who can control the tempo and the flow of this team.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this thread was about Tech playing in the Rose Bowl this year.:icon_wink:

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    I agree that Mexico shsould no longer be our measuring stick but beating Mexico in Azteca???? Never done it before. As a matter of fact we have only mananged 1 tie. We are 0-22-1 in Mexico all time and there will be 110K people there hating us.

On top of that we aren't the only ones having a hard team winning there. Their record against all challengers in that stadium is astounding.

I agree with everything you said, just saying a win there wouldn't just be nice it would be very special. We are 0-22-1 in Mexico all time.

That was my point. Winning AT Azteca, at altitude, in smog-ridden air, in front of 110K crazy Mexicans!! This IS a measuring stick for the US team in 2009, going foward to the 2010 WC. The Confederations Cup was encouraging. But, now this team, this program, must take another step up. This is just one of those situations that serves as a good measurement as to where we truly are.

To say that Mexico-soccer is NO Boise..well, I guarantee a 7-3, "struggling" Boise would be tough to beat at their place. So while this is not one of the better Mexican teams, they will be tough.

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

It will be interesting to see what lineup Mexico trots out to start the game. Guys like Vela and Dos Santos are riding high after their respective showings in the Gold Cup and it might be a bit disingenous for Aguirre to not start them, but at the same time he might save them to bring on once the US's starts showing some ill effects from the altitude.

Also, I like Landon Donovan a lot and think he really is playing some exceptional soccer, but....top18 in the world? You must really really think the US players get blackballed like crazy on an international club level if that's the case.

I just took a look again at the current fifa world ranking. Their top 10 is ok but after that - it seems like NCAA ranking. How on earth is Israel ranked 25 in the world???

Quote Originally Posted by jlam View Post
    Also, I like Landon Donovan a lot and think he really is playing some exceptional soccer, but....top18 in the world? You must really really think the US players get blackballed like crazy on an international club level if that's the case.
    LD chose to play MLS and turned down (probably numerous times) offers from overseas clubs.

Yes, I'll stick to my opinion he is Top 18, the way he is playing now.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    LD chose to play MLS and turned down (probably numerous times) offers from overseas clubs.

Yes, I'll stick to my opinion he is Top 18, the way he is playing now.
    A couple of Italian teams are negotiating with him now. He won't leave during the MLS season though.

Goal.com does a top50 every year based on play from the year before. This year Donovan finally cracked the top-50. While I think US Goalies have always been respected this is the first time I have ever seen a US position player ranked so high.

I don't know if I would say top-18 but he is playing lights out now and he is doing it against TOP-NOTCH competition. He is the one that set up David Beckhams free kick against Barcelona. Brazil, Spain and Egypt all had a very, very, hard time containing him. He is really getting it done. He has such amazing pace and endurance. I love watching him play.

The best part about this week is he really, really hates playing Mexico. I'll have to dig up some old quotes but they are funny. He completely despises the team and country. On top of that he speaks fluent Spanish so some of his interviews with the Mexican soccer press produce some classics.

Donovan is playing his best football at the moment and I really like the way Bailey his team around Donovan- but I'm not sure about top 18 best players in the world. It may make more sense if you say he could make to the 18 squad of most national teams. I don't think he can make the 18 squad for most of top club teams.

+ Reply to Thread