+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fairness doctrine???

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: Fairness doctrine???

Net neutrality sounds good. It sounds like it is anti-regulatory, meaning it will be a law preventing the gov to screw around with the net.

Varsity Bulldog RustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    This is a new topic, but we can go there.

Jay Rockefeller is a quack if he thinks this is helpful to anyone. He introduced this in April, but I'm sure I heard him talking about this before that.

This is a separate issue from net neutrality, to be sure.

*THIS* bill is exactly the kind of sh** we don't need. Civil liberties groups AND internet companies agree that this bill is a bad idea. When BOTH large corporations AND civil liberties groups disagree with you, you should take a long hard look at what kind of bill you're trying to push through.

If he's trying to push this through under the guise of national security, I still call B.S.

The privacy implications of sweeping changes implemented before the legal review is finished worry Lee Tien, a senior staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco. "As soon as you're saying that the federal government is going to be exercising this kind of power over private networks, it's going to be a really big issue," he says.

By the way, the EFF supports net neutrality, and they disagree with this bill sponsored by Rockefeller.

Rockefeller should be laughed out of his post.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RustonNative View Post
    This is a new topic, but we can go there.

Jay Rockefeller is a quack if he thinks this is helpful to anyone. He introduced this in April, but I'm sure I heard him talking about this before that.

This is a separate issue from net neutrality, to be sure.

*THIS* bill is exactly the kind of sh** we don't need. Civil liberties groups AND internet companies agree that this bill is a bad idea. When BOTH large corporations AND civil liberties groups disagree with you, you should take a long hard look at what kind of bill you're trying to push through.

If he's trying to push this through under the guise of national security, I still call B.S.

The privacy implications of sweeping changes implemented before the legal review is finished worry Lee Tien, a senior staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation in San Francisco. "As soon as you're saying that the federal government is going to be exercising this kind of power over private networks, it's going to be a really big issue," he says.

By the way, the EFF supports net neutrality, and they disagree with this bill sponsored by Rockefeller.

Rockefeller should be laughed out of his post.
    You are correct. Another Democrat attempt at controlling Americas and the United States of America.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

The FCC recently stated that they'd be pushing for net-neutrality. (Something I support)

Taken from wikipedia:
    A neutral broadband network is one that is free of restrictions on content, sites, or platforms, on the kinds of equipment that may be attached, and on the modes of communication allowed, as well as one where communication is not unreasonably degraded by other communication streams.[1][2][3]The principle states that if a given user pays for a certain level of internet access, and another user pays for a given level of access, that the two users should be able to connect to each other at that given rate of access.
    Is this pushing for net neutrality part of the "fairness doctrine"?

If so, in this respect, I am in full support.
    Welcome to the board, RN. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for network neutrality from this administration. Two technology related campaign comments were that he wanted net neutrality and supported the rural broadband initiative. He has completely abandoned rural broadband even when pushing hundreds of billions of dollars of spending on infrastructure. I seriously doubt he'll make net neutrality a reality. Just look at the telecommunications immunity if you want more support of that!

I think that there is very little difference between the two political parties in regards to technology and more people in the field are coming to this realization. (I believe that is why so many in the tech community supported Ron Paul.) Whether it TWiT, EFF, Cory Doctorow, or some random CNET personality, people are starting to realize that this president will not bring the change many people wanted to the technology sector.

Varsity Bulldog RustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    Welcome to the board, RN. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for network neutrality from this administration. Two technology related campaign comments were that he wanted net neutrality and supported the rural broadband initiative. He has completely abandoned rural broadband even when pushing hundreds of billions of dollars of spending on infrastructure. I seriously doubt he'll make net neutrality a reality. Just look at the telecommunications immunity if you want more support of that!

I think that there is very little difference between the two political parties in regards to technology and more people in the field are coming to this realization. (I believe that is why so many in the tech community supported Ron Paul.) Whether it TWiT, EFF, Cory Doctorow, or some random CNET personality, people are starting to realize that this president will not bring the change many people wanted to the technology sector.
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm definitely not holding my breath, but I did see a report regarding the FCC's intention on pushing net neutrality. Yes, I was slightly shocked.

On telecom immunity, I agree with you completely. As far as I'm concerned that was a blatantly broken campaign promise.

I'm willing to give him more time before I start lambasting him, but given what I've seen on certain promises, I'm warming up the skewers.

Guess who else, in Iran, did exactly the same this spring after his bogus election to calm down a revolution in his country? Oh...and Chavez as well. I wonder if Obama's buddy Castro has done the same or has this under his control as well. Great mentors this guy obama has huh?? Yes, there are different ways to establish a "Fairness Doctrine".

BILL WOULD GIVE OBAMA 'EMERGENCY' CONTROL OF INTERNET

Guess who else, in Iran, did exactly the same this spring after his bogus election to calm down a revolution in his country? Oh...and Chavez as well. I wonder if Obama's buddy Castro has done the same or has this under his control as well. Great mentors this guy obama has huh?? Yes, there are different ways to establish a "Fairness Doctrine".
    To be fair, I don't think Obama ever called ahmadinejad or Castro a mentor.

And again, the fairness doctrine was repealed years ago.

Still, I don't like any bill that would give the government full control of the internet. It has a certain ring of fascism to me (so did the patriot act if I'm honest). <-- I hope that doesn't alienate me

Still, I don't like any bill that would give the government full control of the internet. It has a certain ring of fascism to me (so did the patriot act if I'm honest). <-- I hope that doesn't alienate me
    No, he just acts and governs at times as if they are or were. But believe me, he's watching what ahmadinejad , Castro and chavez can get away with I promise you that.

No, he just acts and governs at times as if they are or were. But believe me, he's watching what ahmadinejad , Castro and chavez can get away with I promise you that.
    Obama is not alone in this.

We've had a slow march toward fascism since at least 9/11.

Call me loony if you will, but I'm seeing things erode that would make Ben Franklin roll in his grave.

You know how he felt....
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

Of course, you may argue which liberties are "essential", and you'd have every right to.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

And again, the fairness doctrine was repealed years ago.

Welcome to the family

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Welcome to the family
    Brothers don't shake hands. Brothers gotta hug.

Unless of course you're frat brothers, then you do gotta shake hands. It's an inside thing. w/ us PMA types.

Call me loony if you will, but I'm seeing things erode that would make Ben Franklin roll in his grave.
    "I see dead people"

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Net neutrality is something I feel very passionate about. (As in I'm for it). This bill has no chance of passing, but I did enjoy this picture:

Quote Originally Posted by Yarfunkle View Post
    Net neutrality is something I feel very passionate about. (As in I'm for it). This bill has no chance of passing, but I did enjoy this picture:

Well, he did hire a net neutrality backer as FCC chief, and just 22 hours ago he (fcc chief) vowed to strongly back net neutrality. Markey has introduced the bill for the 3rd time. Hopefully it'll go through this time around.

If it doesn't, I'll be using opensecrets to find out which representatives received payments from big telecom & other providers shortly before the vote.

+ Reply to Thread