I heard a guy talking on TV about things you'd want to have on hand if things got really bad. One thing he said that made sense was to have all of your cash reserves on hand in one dollar bills. If things get bad enough, a one dollar bill will be worth the same as a twenty because most people won't be able or willing to make change. Dry food stocks (rice, beans, etc) have a real enemy in humidity. Unless you can be sure that you can keep them dry, you may be better off with canned foods. Ammo, of course, will be necessary but you'd better have it on hand now as it will be one of the hardest things to get your hands on if things turn ugly. Having said this, I have not personally made any survival preparations other than my normal hurricane readiness. I work with a guy that lives in Kenner. He has never been hunting in his life. He just bought himself a 223 assault rifle with 500 rounds of ammo. I'm starting to wonder if more people than I realize are making preparations for the aftermath of an economic collapse.