+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tucker Commission

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Tucker Commission

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/529...ml?index=1&c=y

So the big question, will this lead to the scaling back and/or shutdown of Non-Performing schools (looking at you ULM and Grambling). If they are really willing to revamp the system I think it has to happen, their are WAAAAY too many 4-years. And I now that I'm looking back isn't it nice that Tech has had gleaming reports in every area for the past what 6 years? I really think Reneau may have seen this coming and has been building a case for Tech, remember a couple of the audits done in the past few years were done at the Universities (Reneau's) request.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Tucker Commission

This is probably all for show, but if not I think every school will lose a program or two. Even Tech. The worst performers will lose more, but I don't expect Tech to come out unscathed. It just wouldn't be PC.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

So instead of attracting more high paying jobs for the 30K grads each year to stop outmigration the answer is to lower the number of college grads and increase the number of technical college grads so our grads fit the jobs available?

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    This is probably all for show, but if not I think every school will lose a program or two. Even Tech. The worst performers will lose more, but I don't expect Tech to come out unscathed. It just wouldn't be PC.
    If they try to be PC with this, it's going to do a lot more harm than good (and I mean from the state's perspective, not Tech's). There's a lot that needs to be done to the system...I just don't see some of the things happening anytime soon. I think the cuts will have to be really drastic before any real action will occur.

It does sound like the gov. is interested in more 2 year colleges being available. It'll be interesting to see if that means creating more 2 year colleges, or correcting some of the 4 year universities that should not be 4 year institutions. If any real action comes from this, it could get a lot worse before it gets better...

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgcrazy View Post
    If they try to be PC with this, it's going to do a lot more harm than good (and I mean from the state's perspective, not Tech's). There's a lot that needs to be done to the system...I just don't see some of the things happening anytime soon. I think the cuts will have to be really drastic before any real action will occur.

It does sound like the gov. is interested in more 2 year colleges being available. It'll be interesting to see if that means creating more 2 year colleges, or correcting some of the 4 year universities that should not be 4 year institutions. If any real action comes from this, it could get a lot worse before it gets better...
    Not a chance of losing a single 4 year. Grambling would be first on the list not up to snuff. BTW, did they ever present their budget cuts? If so TNS never reported it.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

It just wouldn't be PC.
    Doesn't sound like they want to be PC

Tucker told the commissioners. “We need you to take a 2-by-4, if that’s necessary, and smack us across the head.”

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Not a chance of losing a single 4 year. Grambling would be first on the list not up to snuff. BTW, did they ever present their budget cuts? If so TNS never reported it.
    They're dealing with their budget whether it was reported or not. They had plenty of waste to clean up while Tech had very little.

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

When I moved to Storrs, CT last fall I was surprised at how many students transferred in to UConn. I guess it's the norm elsewhere but I can't say I know anyone at Tech or any other college in LA that transfered in from a juco.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmcguirt23 View Post
    When I moved to Storrs, CT last fall I was surprised at how many students transferred in to UConn. I guess it's the norm elsewhere but I can't say I know anyone at Tech or any other college in LA that transfered in from a juco.
    A lot of international students transfer in to Tech.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dmcguirt23 View Post
    The BRCC-LSU transfer is pretty common.

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

Oh yeah, forgot about BRCC. I have known a few people who have done that. International students do transfer in alot, but I think Jindal and the commission are focusing more on native LA students starting out at 2 year schools.

Bulldog hisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the ears

article in the advocate said closings and combinings MUST be an option for the committee to consider.

also the makeup of the committee is not the same old same old you would expect from louisiana.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/52925107.html

http://www.laperc.org

this is 40 years overdue.

The fine print said that they will make reccomendations to the legislature. Our legislature doesn't have the guts to cut.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think much will come out of it.

Varsity Bulldog barkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of light barkly's Avatar

The fine print said that they will make reccomendations to the legislature. Our legislature doesn't have the guts to cut.

With a 54% projected decrease in funding, I don't see how the legislature can ignore the problem any more. That kind of funding cuts will "kill" many of the schools anyway!!

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. Let's say for the sake of discussion the "Tucker Commission" recommends...i don't know...Northwestern...to be closed. When that recommendation hits the legislature and they realize the hundreds of millions of dollars in physical plant that would be vacated and left to rot...Won't happen.

The MOST that could happen would be for some of these 4-year schools to go to 2 year schools and become feeder schools to a 4 year "senior" University. As you said, a more likely scenario is that everybody loses a few programs, except the flagship.

The state cannot/will not assume the debt of maintaining real estate to sit vacant.

+ Reply to Thread