+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Tucker Commission

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tucker Commission

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    Either Martin wants to get his hands on Tech's resources or he might genuinely see the advantage in having a strong #2 school in the state to help them fight the politics and problems that arise from having too many others 'sucking at the tit'. We have all said that Tech makes a great case for a strong partner in N Louisiana and if we had their resources, etc. Maybe this guy reads the BB&B!!!!

I will remain skeptical until more details emerge. I would be very, very surprised, however, that J Davison(hence forth know as King James) would allow anything but great things to happen on our behalf in BR. He is as connected as it gets!

DFiH
    I think you hit it dead on the head. Martin sees the advantage of having a strong #2 on our end of the state. There's going to be changes in the funding model for higher education. I think Martin sees the opportunity to down load assets on our end of the state while holding on to more funding dollars than the assets represent (yet they will call it cuts). Tech picks up assets that enhance our position while receiving adequate funding to manage them. (We get the political advantage of politicians wanting the programs to survive, to our funding benefit.) Other schools become more focused and lose redundant programs.

There will be some severe political hardball but if we're partnered with the state's 900 lbs college gorilla (aka flagship) we're on the right side of the fight.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Either Martin wants to get his hands on Tech's resources or he might genuinely see the advantage in having a strong #2 school in the state to help them fight the politics and problems that arise from having too many others 'sucking at the tit'. We have all said that Tech makes a great case for a strong partner in N Louisiana and if we had their resources, etc. Maybe this guy reads the BB&B!!!!

I will remain skeptical until more details emerge. I would be very, very surprised, however, that J Davison(hence forth know as King James) would allow anything but great things to happen on our behalf in BR. He is as connected as it gets!

DFiH
    Statewide defense for higher education needed

says a LSU-themed weekly newspaper in Baton Rouge.

http://tigerweekly.com/article/03-03-2010/13889

The faculty reps thought LSU, Southern and UNO were a representative group to address this however.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I'm cautiously optimistic with the partnership. We may have to be in league with the evil empire for a while to get higher education where it needs to be in the state. Hopefully the system will work itself out to a better balance of higher education institutions to population. I have faith that King James knows what he is doing. If not, were screwed!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic with the partnership. We may have to be in league with the evil empire for a while to get higher education where it needs to be in the state. Hopefully the system will work itself out to a better balance of higher education institutions to population. I have faith that King James knows what he is doing. If not, were screwed!
    And the football team/staff/fans performing they way we did in Tigger Stadium in November didn't hurt. LSU found out they have lots of their regular attending fans who changed to blue that night. THAT was significant to the chancellor.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    And the football team/staff/fans performing they way we did in Tigger Stadium in November didn't hurt. LSU found out they have lots of their regular attending fans who changed to blue that night. THAT was significant to the chancellor.
    Really! That is quite surprising! One that any of our guys would change and two that the chancellor would notice/comment! Very good news indeed, Sir!

DFiH

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

J Davison(hence forth know as King James)
    DFiH

I prefer to call him "The Man"

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I think you hit it dead on the head. Martin sees the advantage of having a strong #2 on our end of the state. There's going to be changes in the funding model for higher education. I think Martin sees the opportunity to down load assets on our end of the state while holding on to more funding dollars than the assets represent (yet they will call it cuts). Tech picks up assets that enhance our position while receiving adequate funding to manage them. (We get the political advantage of politicians wanting the programs to survive, to our funding benefit.) Other schools become more focused and lose redundant programs.

There will be some severe political hardball but if we're partnered with the state's 900 lbs college gorilla (aka flagship) we're on the right side of the fight.
    "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

The Man or King James, which ever you prefer, could be very busy in the next year if he is going to run the Tucker Commission thing and the impending conference shuffle! Both are very important to TECH and we could come out way ahead or way back due to either of those events. A strategic plan and very careful attention to all the possibilities that could arise in either event is a must. I'm thinking it might need more than a couple of individuals to be able to take in the whole picture and provide multiple points of view. This is particularly true if the events move forward very quickly as they very well could. This could be a big move forward for TECH!
    WWDog
    La Tech

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

The Man or King James, which ever you prefer, could be very busy in the next year if he is going to run the Tucker Commission thing and the impending conference shuffle! Both are very important to TECH and we could come out way ahead or way back due to either of those events. A strategic plan and very careful attention to all the possibilities that could arise in either event is a must. I'm thinking it might need more than a couple of individuals to be able to take in the whole picture and provide multiple points of view. This is particularly true if the events move forward very quickly as they very well could. This could be a big move forward for TECH!
    The Tucker Commission is done... which means that The Man has no more influence over what happens with higher education... unless he can control what the state legislature does...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    The Tucker Commission is done... which means that The Man has no more influence over what happens with higher education... unless he can control what the state legislature does...
    Understand that the Tucker Commission is done but the consequences to include the alliance with the evil empire is still to be decided. The Tucker Commission was just the beginning I believe and really was only recommendations. Now is the time to be most vigilant.
    WWDog
    La Tech

The Man or King James, which ever you prefer, could be very busy in the next year if he is going to run the Tucker Commission thing and the impending conference shuffle!
    Don't worry, I've watched him work a multi-million dollar deal with two live cell phone calls, one phone in each hand.
    I forgot to ask him how he kept up with which side was on each phone.:icon_wink:

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Don't worry, I've watched him work a multi-million dollar deal with two live cell phone calls, one phone in each hand.
    I forgot to ask him how he kept up with which side was on each phone.:icon_wink:
    I have seen that as well and I am amazed how he does it! In business you learn to multi-task, but not in the same levels as James. I am speaking out of school, somewhat, but during the last conference switch (you know the one when we thought we were getting in) he picked up the phone and in 2 minutes was talking to Haley Barbour! The 'Man' or 'KJ' is smooth!

DFiH

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Here's a fun, Southern-fried RANT by a professor at UGA: http://flagpole.com/Weekly/Cobbloviate/WhoLetTheHogsOut-10Mar10

It's about higher ed. budget cuts in Georgia, but every bit as applicable to Louisiana.

Agree or disagree, it’s awfully entertaining.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I didn't read the whole thing....maybe later. I can state, without much trepidation, that as a whole, college professors are the laziest bunch of do-nothing whiners I have ever encountered. OMG! 10 office hours/week??? How dare anyone expect them to keep that kind of grueling schedule? Ten whole hours a week? Grading tests? Wow, 2 to 4 exams/semester, most with grad students that do the work anyway!

Oh, whoa is me! Guess I'll have to hop a flight for Cancun, all expenses paid, and drink cocktails with other do-nothing professors as we complain that $120K is simply not enough if they want us to keep TEN office hours every frickin' week! (except during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, and the three summer months, of course!)

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

"I believe, despite the fact that we're in different systems, we are more similar to one another than we are to many of our sister institutions and we ought to build on those similarities and strengths," he (LSU Chancellor Michael Martin) added.

He's stating that LSU and Louisiana Tech are more similar than LSU is with other institutions in the state...is that a good thing? LOL

I'm reading comments from readers in the News-Star trying to insult Tech by saying we are trying to be the "LSU of North Louisiana"...in my opinion, LSU is trying to be the "Louisiana Tech of SOUTH Louisiana"

+ Reply to Thread