+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Death Book for Veterans

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

The Death Book for Veterans

Ex-soldiers don't need to be told they're a burden to society.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...107981718.html

If President Obama wants to better understand why America's discomfort with end-of-life discussions threatens to derail his health-care reform, he might begin with his own Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). He will quickly discover how government bureaucrats are greasing the slippery slope that can start with cost containment but quickly become a systematic denial of care.

Last year, bureaucrats at the VA's National Center for Ethics in Health Care advocated a 52-page end-of-life planning document, "Your Life, Your Choices." It was first published in 1997 and later promoted as the VA's preferred living will throughout its vast network of hospitals and nursing homes. After the Bush White House took a look at how this document was treating complex health and moral issues, the VA suspended its use. Unfortunately, under President Obama, the VA has now resuscitated "Your Life, Your Choices."
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Varsity Bulldog dawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the rough

Re: The Death Book for Veterans

I just finished listening to this discussion on the news. End of life counseling should be between the patient, their family and clergy, if so desired. The government should not be in the business of guiding people in life ending decisions. I suppose we should expect they will next bring in government-run and funded assisted-suicide.
    For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be "not worth living."
    The circumstances listed include ones common among the elderly and disabled: living in a nursing home, being in a wheelchair and not being able to "shake the blues." There is a section which provocatively asks, "Have you ever heard anyone say, 'If I'm a vegetable, pull the plug'?" There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as "I can no longer contribute to my family's well being," "I am a severe financial burden on my family" and that the vet's situation "causes severe emotional burden for my family."

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgmom View Post
    I just finished listening to this discussion on the news. End of life counseling should be between the patient, their family and clergy, if so desired. The government should not be in the business of guiding people in life ending decisions. I suppose we should expect they will next bring in government-run and funded assisted-suicide.
    I'll post something in the football forum
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

I can't believe this is something that exists in my country. We are surely doomed.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    Ex-soldiers don't need to be told they're a burden to society.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...107981718.html

If President Obama wants to better understand why America's discomfort with end-of-life discussions threatens to derail his health-care reform, he might begin with his own Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). He will quickly discover how government bureaucrats are greasing the slippery slope that can start with cost containment but quickly become a systematic denial of care.

Last year, bureaucrats at the VA's National Center for Ethics in Health Care advocated a 52-page end-of-life planning document, "Your Life, Your Choices." It was first published in 1997 and later promoted as the VA's preferred living will throughout its vast network of hospitals and nursing homes. After the Bush White House took a look at how this document was treating complex health and moral issues, the VA suspended its use. Unfortunately, under President Obama, the VA has now resuscitated "Your Life, Your Choices."

Yup, Obama believes there is an endless amount of clearance under a bus.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

For those of you who are interested in reality.

http://www.rihlp.org/pubs/Your_life_your_choices.pdf

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

My wife was a hospice nurse for several years. End of life counseling is very common in the private sector and while I have not yet read the "Death Book' I don't find it all that shocking that people need help making choices when they find themselves at the end of life. I will read it and I will be interested to see if there is some bias toward choosing death. I know that in hospice care the choice has really already been made or you do not qualify for hospice care. There are very specific standards that must be met to qualify for this type of care so not everyone can just say "I feel like dying so give me hospice care". Some of you may have read this document and already reached conclusions, I have not and will reserve judgement until I do so.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    My wife was a hospice nurse for several years. End of life counseling is very common in the private sector and while I have not yet read the "Death Book' I don't find it all that shocking that people need help making choices when they find themselves at the end of life. I will read it and I will be interested to see if there is some bias toward choosing death. I know that in hospice care the choice has really already been made or you do not qualify for hospice care. There are very specific standards that must be met to qualify for this type of care so not everyone can just say "I feel like dying so give me hospice care". Some of you may have read this document and already reached conclusions, I have not and will reserve judgement until I do so.
    Did you really attend LA Tech?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    Did you really attend LA Tech?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    Since you replied back to Salty and I saw his post, Salty why aren't you contributing to BB&B and TECH if you have a 7 figure bank account (2 of those are probably to the right of the decimal point :icon_wink?

Put your $$$ money where your mouth is big boy. Donate to BB&B and TECH. You sure seem to enjoy our board. Matter of fact, where are Teatech and DB2-3 names on the contribution list?
    http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66453

OK...I'm calling you guys Teatech, DB2-3 and Salty out. Teatech and DB2-3 went to TECH and Salty didn't I believe. That said, let's see who donates to BB&B and TECH first. I don't see any of your names on this list yet. You know DEMS/LIBS are known for not paying taxes as well as wanting others to pay their way for them in all walks of life. Is the privilage to post on BB&B and our charitable causes worth it to you guys?

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66453

I hope GonzoDawg contributed or else else he is up the creek without a paddle.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    I hope GonzoDawg contributed or else else he is up the creek without a paddle.
    If he hasn't yet, he better.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I pay for the recruiting form, not sure if I am going to contribute elsewhere yet. What does this have to do with this thread, I know nothing. Anyway, yes Salty I graduated from TECH...twice.

+ Reply to Thread