+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Health Care for a Doc's Perspective

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Re: Health Care for a Doc's Perspective

The Massachusetts healthcare system
    Now a new study provides data that shows Massachusetts universal healthcare plan costs rose %40 since 2003, compared to the national average for the private sector which only rose 33% in the same period. The study renewed claims that the Massachusetts system is unsustainable and already in financial trouble. Further, detractors of the Massachusetts health system are beginning to come from unlikely sources.

Another study was performed by two organizations, which originally supported the plan, say the Massachusetts health system does not do what it’s supposed to, is additionally unsustainable, and urge lawmakers not to look to that model as a possible solution. Physicians for a National Health Program and Public Citizen, a partnership which support a single-payer health system, conducted the study and charged the Massachusetts project has not covered as many people as claimed, nor has it contained costs, and has actually been detrimental to safety-net providers like public hospitals and community clinics.

They say that in fact, the Massachusetts mandate is simply a "new tax on the uninsured." To be fair, the partnership is not a right-wing or town hall conglomeration, they proposes a single-payer "Medicare for all" system modeled upon the Canadian system - a system which is admittedly entering a state of collapse.

http://www.examiner.com/x-8817-Pitts...that-it-doesnt
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

Originally Posted by champion110
    In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    Houston.
    Yeh, we have had a few words with our mailman also here in Houston. He obviously hates his job. Hell, it might be the same one, I dont think we live too far from you guys now.

Varsity Bulldog dawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the rough

Deviating from the focus of the discussion... auto insurance is cheap? Maybe only carrying liability? I have a high deductible, no tickets, accidents or claims filed in 10 years and my insurance is not cheap. And my premium doubled moving from TX to MS --guess why. The insurance company said it was due to the high number of uninsured drivers in my mandatory liability state. So no, mandating all drivers to have liability did not level the field on cost because evidently there are plenty of ways to skirt the law. I know plenty of people that have had accidents with uninsured drivers. And in agreement with the masses, auto insurance is irrelevant to health insurance.

Varsity Bulldog dawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    Mass. healthcare reform is failing us

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ed...is_failing_us/
    I am reading this topic after 4 pgs worth and glad to see this was finally brought up. I kept reading the arguement that "it's working in Mass" when it has been on the news repeatedly in the last few days that it is failing. Thanks DogtorEvil... thought I was the only one on that.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gcc005 View Post
    1. In my opinion, it is a cumbersome and expensive system. I think the method of managing records needs to be modernized. Payments are equally cumbersome. This would reduce costs.

2. The reimbursement of medicare and medicaid to physicians is unfair and inadequate because the government sets the rates. Thus, as more people age and utilize medicare, the reimbursements continue to fall so the deficit doesn't increase even further.

I'm currently privately insured without my employer's assistance. I have a major medical coverage policy for a relatively low fee. I can afford this because I have a part-time job and I don't waste my money. If anything truly life threatening and severe happens to me, I'm good. It's not a great policy, but its something.

If not paying for my health insurance was that important, I would try to find another job that would pay for it. Full time employees at McDonald's qualify.

What some of the bleeding hearts don't understand is that we already have a preview of socialized medicine in the US. All one has to do is visit Charity hospital in New Orleans. Gunshot? You're covered. Stab Wound, Car Accident? You're covered. Those excellent physicians will save your life if at all possible. Got a sore back? Need any kind of elective surgery? Get on the list. They'll call you in 2 months. If you need it sooner, tough. Have to cancel the appointment? We'll call you in another 2 months.

If you are in critical condition, an ER cannot turn you down under federal law. They will stabilize you and save your life. Then they'll send you a bill. But if you and your family are broke, they aren't getting any money from you. You'll probably work out a deal with the billing department or just not pay.
    I asked because you stated that you didn't believe anybody would deny that there are problems with insurance. That seems to be the new buzz word since BHO has changed from "health reform" to "insurance reform".

1. From the group insurance side, govt. mandates (HIPPA & COBRA) bog down the system. Still most companies are just trying to keep up, but many do have issues with their systems. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water over this one.

2. I couldn't agree more! This is the primary reason our insurance rates are so high. This is not an insurance company problem. It is a problem caused by government.

The rest of what you've described is government related. They are the problem and it's laughable that anybody would consider them as a legitimate part of the solution.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I asked because you stated that you didn't believe anybody would deny that there are problems with insurance. That seems to be the new buzz word since BHO has changed from "health reform" to "insurance reform".
    Yes. I don't have many problems with private companies.

Nothing grinds my gears more than for someone to pick out an individual CEO that makes a lot of money (insurance companies) and call them a "fat cat" who is "robbing them".

To make it worse, instead of doing something about their inequity issue, they turn to the government and say "make them stop."

+ Reply to Thread