View Poll Results: Where do you fit on the belief scale?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.

71 74.74%
  • De-facto Theist: I can't know for sure but I believe and I live on the assumption that he's there.

10 10.53%
  • Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.

5 5.26%
  • Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.

2 2.11%
  • Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.

1 1.05%
  • De-facto Atheist: I can't know for sure but it's very improbable and I live under that assumption.

6 6.32%
  • Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Belief Scale

Varsity Bulldog RustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really nice

The Belief Scale

In The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins formulated a 7-point belief scale from 1 (total belief) to 7 (total non-belief).

I put this here, not so that we could flame each other. I'm simply curious as to the makeup of the "gen pop" here

Where do you fit on the belief scale?

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
    2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
    3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
    4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
    5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
    6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
    7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.
    By the way, answers are public so if you don't want to 'out' yourself don't answer!
    Last edited by RustonNative; 08-30-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: The Belief Scale

You will have Randerizer, Guiss and possibly Simon & Yarfunkle joining you as a 6 or a 7. There are a few of our more liberal posters who I am not sure about.

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    You will have Randerizer, Guiss and possibly Simon & Yarfunkle joining you as a 6 or a 7. There are a few of our more liberal posters who I am not sure about.
    Yarfunkle was fairly recently blessed with a healthy daughter, wasn't he?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

I would say 6.5, I am certain but not 100% sure. The same level of belief as in the existence of the invisible gremlin. Is it possible to be open-minded if you "Know" God exists?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Is it possible to be open-minded if you "Know" God exists?
    Of course. It's possible to be open minded if you know that 2+2=4 or if you know how RNA replication takes place...or anything else.

I guess I'd have to get you to explain what you mean by open-minded.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Of course. It's possible to be open minded if you know that 2+2=4 or if you know how RNA replication takes place...or anything else.

I guess I'd have to get you to explain what you mean by open-minded.
    If you "know" God exists, can you be persuaded that he doesn't if evidence comes to light?
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

If you "know" God exists, can you be persuaded that he doesn't if evidence comes to light?
    The whole falsifiability thing?

Yes, I'd say it is.

The whole falsifiability thing?

Yes, I'd say it is.
    Not sure what you mean.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not real thrilled about the way the quiz is worded, but an event changed the way I use to look at it. Someone pry me in there wherever you think.

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG DUDE View Post
    Yarfunkle was fairly recently blessed with a healthy daughter, wasn't he?
    Yes, I was.

But, the difference between you and me is that I believe she is healthy not because of a divine spirit blessing her mother during pregnancy and childbirth, but for the care her mother took during her pregnancy and the amenities of modern day healthcare.

I do not look down on anyone for their theistic (or atheistic) beliefs, nor do I try to convert anyone. I simply enjoy discussing religion from time to time.

My kid loves pickles too.

Guiss,

I meant that, if your definition of open-minded is that certain evidence could be shown to make me change my mind, then yes. You can be a strong theist (as defined by this thread) and still be open-minded.

My kid loves pickles too.

Guiss,

I meant that, if your definition of open-minded is that certain evidence could be shown to make me change my mind, then yes. You can be a strong theist (as defined by this thread) and still be open-minded.
    Yeah, the way the options are worded is a little awkward for me. I wasn't given the option to vote that I "KNOW" that god doesn't exist. I would have voted for that, but saying 100% sure is different.

Varsity Bulldog RustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really nice

Yeah, the way the options are worded is a little awkward for me. I wasn't given the option to vote that I "KNOW" that god doesn't exist. I would have voted for that, but saying 100% sure is different.
    Yeah I think Dawkins worded it that way on purpose to separate those who are open to the possibility that they are wrong (however unlikely it may be to that person), and those who aren't.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RustonNative View Post
    Yeah I think Dawkins worded it that way on purpose to separate those who are open to the possibility that they are wrong (however unlikely it may be to that person), and those who aren't.
    A man that will never admit that he could be wrong is a man that has never been married.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    A man that will never admit that he could be wrong is a man that has never been married.
    quote of the day.

+ Reply to Thread